Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Mattress seller that doesn't cart away old mattresses?

(29 posts)
  1. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 18:45:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I need a new bed.

Anyone know of a national or NYC mattress vendor that does not transport customers' used mattresses in their delivery trucks?

Thanks.

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 19:08:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi persona,

I think there isn't one.

And even when they say they don't haul off a customer's 10-year old mattress, there is a little thing called a 30-day comfort trial and... you get the picture.

A salesperson for Macy's told me that they don't pick up used mattresses when they deliver new ones and that if they have to pick up a 30-day comfort trial dud, they use a separate truck. Separate truck. Right, well, that turned out not to be true, as reported by someone in the yahoo group.

It's likely that all retailers have this policy; they are competitors after all.

I contacted a high-end bespoke organic mattress purveyor just to see if they were hip to bedbugs and... same policy. (It would suck, right, organic mattress and all?)

Someone somewhere said IKEA mattresses are not returnable. But, you know, IKEA, not everyone's cup of tea.

I hope I'm wrong and someone can point to recent changes.

3. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 19:11:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I couldn't find one myself. When they came to deliver mine it actually took two days because I wouldn't accept it even if the plastic on it had the LITTLEST hole. They sent back two mattresses...That's their tuff luck. I had them put it in writing on my work order/receipt that I would not accept it if it had the tiniest tear.
    Now that I think of it, QVC sells mattresses... I wonder if that is an option. Maybe worth a phone call.

4. Bites44

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 1 2008 21:03:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Yesireee!! Nothing is safe it seems. Not even a "new" mattress. Some of the mattress companies sell them on a month trial basis, and will take it back if you are not satisfied with it. In my city, a mattress company resold one that they had taken back to the shop, and it was infested with BB. This was in the news some motnhs back, but I cannot find any links to it. We need to be aware.

5. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 9:16:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the feedback, guys. So, no go, huh?

Argh. I hate bedbugs. Death to bedbugs. Obliteration, annihilation to bedbugs. /rant/

I'll start calling around and add to the thread if I find a store that seems committed to avoiding the problem of cross-contaminating mattresses. I know ... probably futile :/

6. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 3 2008 9:50:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, Has anyone tried making arrangements to pick up mattress yourself?Even if you had to rent a uhaul or something,might be worth it.The uhaul would be suspect too though.Maybe borrow a friends pickup truck or something? There has to be a way to get a BB free mattress!What I'm confused about is why the need for a new mattress if they can be treated and don't live on the inside(unless there's a hole in it)? That is correct,right?

7. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 13:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

bugbasher asked: What I'm confused about is why the need for a new mattress if they can be treated and don't live on the inside(unless there's a hole in it)? That is correct,right?

I think that's right. That strategy worked in my case.

Right now, I'm not replacing any of my old beds. I gained a bedroom, so I need a new bed.

8. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 20:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugbasher -
    >What I'm confused about is why the need for a new mattress if they can be treated and don't live on the inside(unless there's a hole in it)? That is correct,right?

Um, well, whether it's advisable or not, I think there are a lot of people out there who chucked their mattress sets anyway.

I would think that in a highly affected place like NYC, a mattress company that successfully isolates pickups from deliveries and advertises such would clean up financially.

9. goingaway

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 21:48:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I must admit I trashed my fantastic 2 year old mattress which I loved. I just couldn't face the prospect of going through this all again, so I limited my risk factors by taking as little that couldn't be laundered as possible. I also had a serviceable one waiting for me elsewhere though.

I spose one could always vikane the new mattress too, but I'd think finding a place that doesn't take returns would make a LOT more sense.

10. Bistec

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 22:17:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen sleepy's pick up the dirtiest futon place it inside truck and then pull out the other brand new mattress to customer. Its totally disgusting. I would never consider buying a mattress from sleepys. I am thinking of buying an air mattress.

11. Blue_Ox

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 23:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Another thing that might make sense is a mattress that comes with a built-in already-installed, permanent allergy (bedbug proof) cover. So that even though bedbugs could still infest the home, they could never infest the inside of the mattress. Or is there some reason why this wouldn't work?

12. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Mon Feb 4 2008 23:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Tying it to the top of a car might be safest.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  13. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 18:32:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Blue_Ox, that would be helpful for many resons, although some PCOs say that bedbugs don't infest the inside of the mattress anyway.

14. bugbasher

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 8 2008 21:16:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe they should stop making mattresses so elaborate,like the pillowtops and such.I've said before that back in the day,they used to routinely flip the mattress over.I always thought they did it so that there was even wear on it and it didn't get lumpy from sleeping.Now I think they did it to check regularly for bb's.Hence all the furniture moving they did also.Someone needs to design a mattress for the 21st century that isn't bb friendly.

15. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2008 14:03:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I ended up purchasing a new mattress at Room & Board.

Here's a summary of what they told me. Obviously, I don't have first-hand knowledge of its truth, but I've purchased furniture at R & B before and been quite happy with their services.

They do not remove customers' old mattresses or old furniture. They apologized that they weren't able to provide this "service," but of course I was pleased. They explained that their delivery trucks are loaded to capacity and can't be re-arranged to accommodate used furniture. Also, they have no facilities to manage disposal of used furniture.

Their delivery trucks work exclusively for them. They don't contract out their deliveries to other companies or lend their trucks out for other purposes.

They accept mattress returns, but do not resell them as new. Any returned mattress goes to their outlets or is donated to the charity Bridging. Maybe not great for outlet shoppers or the charity, but if someone's purchasing a "new" mattress, R & B assures them it's bona fide new.

They purchase all their mattresses from a single manufacturer in Minnesota that does not refurbish used mattresses.

I asked the same questions of two different design associates to see whether the answers would match up. Their responses were consistent. Also, their design associates don't work on commission, so no incentive to misrepresent to make a sale.

And, er, just in case ... I don't work for Room & Board.

16. Blue_Ox

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2008 17:39:21
    #

Login to Send PM

When they accept a returned mattress, does that mattress get returned in the same truck that makes deliveries, or is the customer responsible for bringing the mattress they intend to return to the store himself (using his own transportation)?

17. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2008 17:47:31
    #

Login to Send PM

It's not just the returned mattress but returned anything. They exchange furniture from customers all the time (you didn't like the table, it was scratched, whatever) and bedbugs can be in anything. Not to scare persona, of course, but to clarify the issues for any furniture retailer.

My bed is from Room & Board. Nice steel bed.

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2008 18:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Blue_Ox's question is key: many companies accept returns but they aren't all willing to come and collect them. I'd want to know.

19. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2008 20:12:04
    #

Login to Send PM

That is an excellent question and so obvious. It totally eluded me.

I just called Room & Board. The answer is: yes, they pick up returned furniture with the same trucks that make deliveries. In all likelihood, they told me, returned furniture will sit in the truck right next to new furniture to be delivered. R & B has a very generous return policy, so I imagine this vulnerable situation is not an infrequent event.

I'm not canceling the mattress purchase or anything. But I'll throw on the encasement immediately as planned.

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Feb 12 2008 20:42:00
    #

Login to Send PM

persona,

At least you're aware. I suspect that those who are looking for bed bugs or their signs are much more likely to spot them on a new item. Not guaranteed, but you have the best chance.

A more complicated item with hiding places (like a hollow frame or a sofa) would be more of a worry.

21. persona-non-bugga

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Feb 13 2008 23:27:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reassuring word, nobugs. I guess I'll do the best I can. I'll hope for the best, and if bedbugs ever invade my turf once again, I'll trust I'll manage somehow.

And hopelessnomo, I just bought a steel bed for my father's house after reading your remark. Good tip.

22. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 11:49:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have some news to report. At least I think it's news. Never saw such a thing before.

I got a catalogue from a company I never heard of before, Eurway. Metal, glass, plastic, stuff I never liked before bedbugs, but now alas it appears they have me on all their mailing lists.

They have an incredible sentence on their return policy which I wish I could quote directly for you.

Mattresses, bedding, pillows, futons or bedding of any kind cannot be returned under any circumstances!

Shocking, yes? It's a step in the right direction. Yes, obviously, nobody's told them about nightstands and coffee tables, ha ha.

Still.

It's progress of a kind. Or is it a step back?

!

23. Blue_Ox

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Feb 14 2008 17:52:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I have an opposite find to report. A friend just sent a recommendation for a company that ONLY sells USED cardboard boxes for moving. She used the company herself and wants other people to use them too. Scary.
    http://www.usedcardboardboxes.com/index.php

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 2:23:09
    #

Login to Send PM

hopelessnomo, I am intrigued by the fact that somehow someone knew you were the type who needed this stuff. Obviously, our sign-up does not take full names, addresses and phone numbers, so it wasn't me (honest!).

Blue_Ox, that reminds me of this:
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/11/06/today-show-recommends-sharing-used-mattresses-on-craigslist-freecycle/

Unfortunately, lots of recommendations I once would have embraced as environmentally-friendly and also bed bug-friendly. It saddens me. I know I am preaching to the choir. Of course, a little non-green activity goes a long way to prevent a huge infestation with a LOT of non-green activity resulting. But it is hard to get people to understand this until they meet Mr. Bed Bug.

Also, sadly, bed bugs come on in such a way that most of us can imagine many possible scenarios for how we got infested and when. It will take a long time to shut down such businesses which do become vehicles for bed bug redistribution, since they won't be recognized easily as such.

25. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Feb 15 2008 10:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

We used to have two living room sets. One for the living room (really nice set) and an older one for the family room. At times I want so badly to purchase a new couch for the family room. Nothing expensive. I was looking at Target.com and found a microfiber one pretty cheap. They don't ship to store. I also wanted to buy a new bedroom dresser at some point. But this topic is the main reason why I haven't done it yet. It's ridiculous that we have to live this way. It reminds me of some bug horror flick at times.

26. crawledon

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 12:32:31
    #

Login to Send PM

What about buying and picking up directly from manufacturer?

Also, last night I was sitting on my metal folding chair (haven't sat on couch since end of Aug.) flipping through the channels and a picture of bed bugs and bb castings appeared. Turns out it was ShopNBC, some home shopping network and they were selling a bed. They showed pics of bbs and mites and then saleswoman said these bugs and bacteria live in your mattress. It was her reason for us consumers to want to buy this mattress. And then she went on to say that they would pick up you old mattress and deliver the new one. I called to rant to some poor salesperson about the irony of this. I knew I had the wrong audience and didn't have the energy to find the right audience. Have to scale back the battles. Just too tired...

27. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun Feb 17 2008 20:38:32
    #

Login to Send PM

I've thought about that but just don't know how to go about it. I made an attempt to join that Direct Buy club, but they wouldn't let us bring our kids to the "open house" Finding a sitter is near impossible. Plus I don't think I'm mentally ready to have anyone over at this point and time yet. Sending the kids to my girl friends house is also too scary because she would not understand me taking the precautions I would take upon leaving her place.
    It's sad that there is a reality to getting infested when purchasing something new at this point. This really shouldn't be.

28. crawledon

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 3:00:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I've called around and found two stores that absolutely do not take the old mattress in the trucks with them. They will bring it down to the curb if they are sealed up. One place is called Mattress Warehouse in Yonkers and the other that didn't want to be identified has a store on W72St. and is not Sleepy's. Both of these places also sell Protect A Bed encasements. The owner of the place in Yonkers was quite nice, seemed to know his business and was open to learning more. He told me a year or so ago, that he'd received info from the NYC Dept. of Health concerning bedbugs!

Hope that helps a mattress seeking person somewhere...oh, and I'm not advocating trashing mattresses, mine is just 20 years old.

29. crawledon

Posted 10 years ago
    Fri Jun 12 2009 3:00:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I've called around and found two stores that absolutely do not take the old mattress in the trucks with them. They will bring it down to the curb if they are sealed up. One place is called Mattress Warehouse in Yonkers and the other that didn't want to be identified has a store on W72St. and is not Sleepy's. Both of these places also sell Protect A Bed encasements. The owner of the place in Yonkers was quite nice, seemed to know his business and was open to learning more. He told me a year or so ago, that he'd received info from the NYC Dept. of Health concerning bedbugs!

Hope that helps a mattress seeking person somewhere...oh, and I'm not advocating trashing mattresses, mine is just 20 years old.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69