Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

mattress encasements in hotel beds - thoughts?

(6 posts)
  1. very_worried

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 12:15:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I wasn't sure what topic to use.

I was travelling (again) this weekend and when I went to do my bed bug check of the room, I found the mattresses encased. I was torn on the issue and wondered what other people might think

Pros: easy to check, probably helps hotel quickly identify a problem and they don't have to replace the mattress should a problem exist.

Cons: possibility of a bed bug problem in the near past? There was a tear in the encasement in the bottom where the bed slat meets the mattress.

I don't know how I feel about it, but it actually made me uneasy, but that could just be my bb anxiety getting the better of me.

Thoughts?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 13:00:46
    #

Login to Send PM

You missed a good opportunity to speak to the manager of the hotel. If they have the mattresses covered they should have no concern in giving the reason.
    A tear on the cover wouldn't concern me in the least as long as you saw no signs of activity.

3. Scared88

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 13:27:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I had similar thoughts when I found encased mattresses at a cabin we stayed in a few months ago. My guess is it's a sure sign there were BBs there before ... otherwise, I expect most wouldn't spend the money on them. But the reality is, BBs are frequently encountered at hotels/rentals -- so the fact that there's no mattress encasement on many doesn't mean they haven't had BBs! I had read reviews online prior staying there which said ppl had encountered BBs, so I'm doubly sure that was the case. However, I checked everything thoroughly and took precautions upon coming home. Long story short, does it change anything? Not really. At least they're trying to be proactive about it. And no encasement doesn't mean no BBs.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 18:42:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

There are many reasons to encase a mattress and if your doing it only for bedbugs then i would be concerned for the effectiveness of your BB program because if that’s the extent of your prep and procedure as an accomodation provider then a bad case of ostrich bugs is about to break out.

Pro’s: can’t think of any over a more cost effective dust mite encasement.

Con’s: Yes they most definitely are and in my personal experience the people who promote them heavily have beyond dubious morales.

I simply can’t endorse a concept so heavily rooted in fake science and bogus claims.

The reality is that a bedbug you encounter while away from home can’t know anything about your bed at home so they can’t be preventative in the slightest. What they do is breed a false sense of security which is obvious when you take a wider view and see “I don’t understand when i have bedbugs I have encasements”.

I could have made a lot of money selling this crap but my ethics simply won’t allow it. I am proud of the fact that after 14 years we still have not sold a single one.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. very_worried

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 19:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

All interesting thoughts. While I did not unzip the mattress encasements to check for bed bugs, I still checked the bed slats and around the posts for signs. It could be they were there for dust mites as the area around the bed was super dusty. It's amazing how much you find out about a hotel when you start to take apart the beds. I didn't see any noticeable evidence of bed bugs but I always feel uncertain especially when it's dusty.

I have been recommended mattress encasements in the past but my reaction is the same as yours David. It just seemed like a waste of money if the bed bugs aren't in the mattress but instead in the bed frame or in the picture frame above (which are my experiences with bed bugs.) What are encasements going to do except I guess ensure you don't get a messy mattress...?

Anyway, thanks everyone for the food fro thought. Always learning.

6. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Jun 18 2019 20:50:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Glad you see the same logic as I do.

Sadly in my case I have also had these companies spend years telling me “you don’t make as much as you could because you don’t sell our products”.

Oddly enough I don’t see that as a bad thing and while I am no longer a lone voice of reason it’s still a minority opinion. Shame really as a lot of money has been wasted and all the wrong sort of people are better off as a result.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,484 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk