Mattress Encasement Question

(3 posts)
  1. Kater

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 27 2014 10:48:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!
    The mattress encasement I bought for my box-spring has gotten a few small holes. I already took the bottom of the box-spring so I can look inside before I got the encasement. Now, because the encasement has holes, I have to take it off every time I want to inspect the box-spring. Should I just remove the encasement? Is it still helpful at all if it has holes?
    thank you!
    Kater

2. Daylight

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 27 2014 12:38:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Kater,

Go ahead and check out all the encasement FAQ's and other encasement advice already provided on this site. I am not an expert or even an experienced bedbugger, but I am under the impression that one should never take off the encasements unless they've been on for 18 months and have had no compromising circumstances, such as tears. Unfortunately mine have had tears too. I've taped them with duct tape and worry about them. I've tried covering them up with another encasement and then have that one get torn from either the bed frame or mishandling.

If you have holes in yours, chances are that there have been opportunities for bugs, etc. to enter or exit from your box springs. If you can't tape it up sufficiently, you could have a problem. If it is secure and air tight, it should be safe for 18 months. Unless you just have to know if there are bb's alive in there, you don't need to inspect the box springs.

I hope that helps. Maybe someone else will have better suggestions for you (and me too!)

3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 27 2014 19:41:23
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't remove the original encasement. I would instead cover the holes with pieces of duct tape and then just slip a brand new encasement over the damaged one.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,773 posts in 50,036 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,360 members. Latest: Mikayah, maybeebedbugs, jnnafnlys01