Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

material to stop bugs getting through air vent?

(4 posts)
  1. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 3:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I need to stop bedbugs from getting through the air vent in my bathroom, which offers an access route from my neighbour's infested apartment, but I want to avoid blocking the vent if I can. I'm trying to find a suitable material to improvise a barrier that will stop bedbugs but let air through.

The vent is a hole in the tiles. It is covered by a plastic grill which is screwed in place. The grill is quite a bit larger than the hole, which means there is room to tape something down to the tiles underneath the grill. The barrier will need to be attached to the tiles and not the grill because I can't get a good seal round the edge of the grill. I'm looking for a suitable material for this barrier—hopefully something cheap and easily available. Clothing fabric won't do because it is too loose and also too elastic. I'm guessing I need something with a bit of rigidity so that it can be taped down easily and stay put for a long time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. psychologically_messed_up

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 9:02:34
    #

Login to Send PM

This is difficult... bed bugs can be very, very tiny, so it would need to be almost solid, but also porous enough to allow air flow. My thought would be a piece of screening, like in a window, but with cheesecloth on either side. It would still allow air, but *might* lessen your chances. Another option might be to stuff it with steel wool, for the same reasons mentioned above.

Good luck- this seems like a daunting task!

"When you hear hoofbeats, think horses not zebras" Theodore Woodward

I am, by no means, a pro. I'm simply a person that has had unfortunate luck, and somehow acquired the little guys.
    Any/all 'advice' I have to share is based on my own personal history and/or things I've read from the professionals on this site.
    My profession is medical, which is where I am confident in any advice I give, however rare it may be.
  3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 10:16:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Given that its extremely hard to secure an area and the trauma that sets in due to failure to succeed at this task I would not advise it over dealing with the source of the infestation.

While I appreciate this can in some circumstances be difficult it is in reality the only strategy that is effective.

This is a scenario I encounter all the time and its usually a tough situation unless you know how to ethically avoid adding tension with conflict. I encountered a situation this week that was absolutely heart warming because what was anticipated as a difficult scenario was in fact a refreshing open and simple communication where all parties agreed to work together and communicate the issue.

What could have been a protracted blame game was a simple set of instructions and a better understanding of the perspectives of both parties. In the coming weeks we will know the true extent of the issue and can deal with things at both the cause and symptom level.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. fightingthefight

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 13:04:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your replies.

I am not in a position to give notice to my landlord because I would make myself broke and probably homeless. Unfortunately the landlord seems to be hoping for an easy solution and isn't yet willing to take a robust enough line with my neighbour who is unwilling to admit or address his infestation. So I have to take the advice of the pest controller I used and do my best to block access, even if that is not guaranteed to succeed. I also asked the bedbug helpdesk at the University of Minnesota whether it was still worth trying to block access points even if I can't do a 100% perfect job and they said yes. If I can even just buy myself some time while I look for other solutions, it will probably be worth it.

I take the point about a barrier on the air vent needing to stop very small nymphs as well as adults. I should probably just tape it over then, and remember to open the window of the adjacent room when I have a shower.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,685 posts in 50,015 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me