Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Lung problem, need an alternative to talcum powder to make a trap effective.

(8 posts)
  1. James9000

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2016 12:04:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I have chemical and the sensitivity with my breathing. I try to very carefully dust a trap with a small cotton ball using a minimal amount of talcum powder and I suffered slight shortness of breath all night. I really need an alternative.

I know I have a problem with talcum powder or any dust so I had initially made the side slippery using silicon lubrication spray, but was concerned that wasn't slippy enough.

I have a potential bed bug problem, getting lines of bites on my face and being woken a couple of times feeling been bitten. I am anxious to find some proof. I'm going to buy some bedbug trap for my bed and I know they too need to be dusted with talc or the cornflower alternative, I don't fancy using either.

Is there any non-powder way to make the size of the trap super slippy, or a designer doesn't need lubrication. I live in the UK
    Many thanks James

2. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 3 2016 23:46:07
    #

Login to Send PM

"Lights out" brand that I saw on Amazon isn't supposed to need talc.

3. James9000

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 5:37:38
    #

Login to Send PM

barelyliving - 5 hours ago  » 
    "Lights out" brand that I saw on Amazon isn't supposed to need talc.

Thanks these look amazing, just what I was looking for. I can't find a single supplier in the UK but I'm sure I can get an American supplier to send me some because they look quite light.

4. yohoki

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 10:31:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I will be using one soon that is passive, needing no chemicals. Look for packlite passive if you're in the states. I think I saw one for around $20 on Google. It will not kill the bugs, but it will attract them and give them an ideal home to live in. That will definitely give you the proof you need.

Notable sites for my reference (and others that are interested):
    http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
    http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/tbypmr.pdf (PDF file. May prompt download)
    Http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/ (David's company website.)
    Http://www.bedbugger.com/forum/
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 10:45:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Since they crawl into clutter, why don't you give them some you can inspect? Try fan-folding 1/2" (1.25cm) fold in construction or other letter paper. If this is regular 8.5" wide paper (or like A4), you can cut in half to give you 2 monitors; staple one side and paperclip the other. Also try a folded washcloth or napkin to give bed bugs a place in which to harbor. You just have to unfold to see what's going on inside. Place along wall/floor interface, on headboard, leg of bed using double-sided tape strip (for paper monitor). Heavier paper such as folder or manila can be folded and it be like an accordion fold. I leave small folded monitor in the plastic box and glass container in which I work with them and they crawl over to the paper and stay there. Corrugated cardboard works, too, especially very large holed ones -- it's difficult to see into the small hole corrugations. You would make up small corrugated cardboard smaller than 3x5 sized cards.
    Climb-up style monitors rely on bed bugs crawling and falling in and being slippery to keep them contained and some are constructed to make it easier to see the contained bugs than others.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 17:17:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Lou,
    Thanks for the advise on the fans. If I see a bug in the fan, how do I remove the fan from the head board, etc. without the bug escaping?
    Thanks.

7. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sun Dec 4 2016 17:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

FayeState - 10 minutes ago  » 
    Lou,
    Thanks for the advise on the fans. If I see a bug in the fan, how do I remove the fan from the head board, etc. without the bug escaping?
    Thanks.

Keep it folded flat and pull off from headboard. It has the paperclip on one end and stapled on the other. Drop into a plastic container or ziplock style plastic bag.

8. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Dec 5 2016 13:12:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen