Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Luggage treatment in Denver/Boulder

(12 posts)
  1. rt

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 5:28:12
    #

Login to Send PM

(Per my other thread here: https://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/no-photo-sorry-but-some-advice-would-be-welcome)

I found a bed bug in my hotel and am trying to do everything I can to ensure I don't wind up with an infestation in my home. I'd like to avoid throwing away my luggage (a suitcase and a laptop bag). To that end, I was wondering if there are any PCOs in the Boulder/Denver area that offer this. Boulder is preferred.

Is this even a common service? Google didn't turn up anyone in the area offering it.

I've gone over my bag in very thorough detail looking at every inch of the seems and I can't find any signs of bugs in there but I want to be 100% sure. I definitely won't be taking my bags into my apartment when I get home.

Thanks

2. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 9:32:20
    #

Login to Send PM

If you look at useful tools at the menue up top , there is alot of info right here on this website.
    if you have questions ask for experts advice here they will answer you,,
    hope that helps..Good luck & have a good day!

Dealing with bed bugs in your stuff
    Packtite and Packtite Closet
    Ziploc Bug Bags (XL, XXL)
    Nuvan prostrips and Hot Shot No Pest Strips (dichlorvos, DDVP)

3. rt

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 9:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you. I've read those resources and decided that

a) buying a Packtite doesn't make sense, it costs 3x what the bag did.
    b) I'm definitely not comfortable dealing with pesticides by myself.

I'm hoping to find a commercial outfit in Denver or Boulder that can either heat treat or steam clean my bags. I actually did find one and I've spoken to the owner since my original post (going to leave out the name lest something think this very new account was only created for spam purposes). My plan is to take my bags there without every bringing them into my apartment so they can be steam-cleaned professionally.

Thanks!

4. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 9:39:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You can spray the bags with 91% rubbing alcohol also , it will kill on contact any live bb's you might see( but it has to contact on them to work) :wink:.. if I'm wrong or didn't put that just right the experts will be along & correct me haha..

5. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 9:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand that concern of handling things is better in the hands of pro's ..There are many things that kill them on contact but you need to see them to spray them Right!..I think your a very smart person & are doing what is best..very level headed on the subject so you'll make the best choices..
    Paul or David would be able to tell you what options there are to aid your needs ,plus they like you travel alot .. Also Nobugsonme is a pretty sharp guy too..

6. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 10:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

This is paul's website
    https://pjbpestconsultant.com/

you might be able to get them by phone for info & referrals in Denver.

7. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 10:43:22
    #

Login to Send PM

rt -  » 
    I'm hoping to find a commercial outfit in Denver or Boulder that can either heat treat or steam clean my bags. I actually did find one and I've spoken to the owner since my original post (going to leave out the name lest something think this very new account was only created for spam purposes). My plan is to take my bags there without every bringing them into my apartment so they can be steam-cleaned professionally.

Hey rt,

That’s really cool that you found someone to treat your luggage and bag for you! Did you locate them in Boulder or Denver? I’m curious, and I’m pretty sure that it would be ok if you named them. I know David James (the inventor of the PackTite) is located in Denver, but I had never heard of him having a decon center . . . so I am curious . . . and I think it’s great that you located a company to do that for you!

Of course, if you do travel a lot, then the price of a PackTite might be more reasonable that repeatedly paying to get your luggage and bag treated???

ItsJustABug -  » 
    Also Nobugsonme is a pretty sharp guy too..

Pssst . . . “He’s” a she . . . a pretty sharp gal!

8. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 10:53:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Well no matter the gender aside , My assumption mistake ..Yes every sharp indeed!!

9. rt

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2015 21:35:57
    #

Login to Send PM

AbsolutelyFreaking: This was the company that responded:

http://www.boulderbedbugremoval.com/index.html

I person I spoke with said they can steam clean my bags.

10. Menton

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 5 2015 1:00:14
    #

Login to Send PM

DO NOT FOLLOW ANY ADVICE TO DEAL WITH YOUR LUGGAGE YOURSELF. I for one would vote to throw it all away.

I was exposed while traveling. Had the PCO's canine unit confirm that my there were bugs in my bags before I brought the luggage in. They then told me how to "safely" unpack using rubbing alcohol and putting clothes in the dryer.

AND NOW I HAVE F'ING BED BUGS!

So..........I could have thrown out my stuff which probably cost about $200. Instead of I have spent hundreds of dollars on this and shrunk all of my clothes in the dryer and have been living out of plastic bags since October and had to use 2 vacation days and pull 3 all nighters to do the prep work and scratched a bite which got infected so the doctors thought it was CANCER and haven't sat in my living room since September and haven't gotten a normal night's sleep in 4 months.

11. rt

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 5 2015 1:06:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, my plan is that my things won't even go into my apartment when I get home.

The building laundry room is right by the back entrance so all clothes are going to go through a wash/dry cycle on HOT before going into my apartment. I'm probably going to toss my smaller items like toiletry kits since those are cheap. The luggage will get bagged up and taken to the PCO I've been talking to for a thorough steam cleaning.

The only items I haven't figured out how to deal with yet are my shoes (hiking shoes), light jacket and my electronics. Obviously I don't want to toss my laptop and camera, but from what I've read it's fairly rare for BBs to inhabit those.

The only paper item I have that I need to keep is my passport, everything will get tossed before I get on the plane home.

Fortunately I pack VERY light so I don't have much beyond clothes and my electronics.

The shoes are fairly sturdy so I might just send them through the dryer, need to do some research on that.

The jacket says cold wash only and no dry cleaning, so I don't know what to do about it yet. The outer shell is a windbreaker material so I'm not sure if running it through the dryer would cause problems. It's a nice jacket but not so nice that I would be too devastated about tossing it.

It's worth noting that it's been over a week since I saw that bug and I have yet to find any other concrete signs that the bugs got into my stuff. No poop, no eggs, no bugs. I went over my suitcase again yesterday with an LED flashlight and a pair of tweezers examining everything in it and all I found was some grains of sand.

The jacket also never touched the bed, I hung it up as soon as I got into that room and haven't worn it since. I only brought it on this trip because I'm visiting a few cities that will still be deep in winter at the end of the trip (Beijing and Tokyo).

12. Menton

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 6 2015 1:08:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Re the shoes, I did put 2 pairs of sneakers and one pair of Tevas in the dryer.

As I mentioned in my rant above, I had to pull several all nighters to do the prep. In my building the laundry is on each floor (handy especially when you have to do 100 loads in a week!). I did the shoes in the dryer at night and they were very loud! I was hoping it wasn't disturbing anyone but when I went to get them, someone had obviously gotten annoyed and opened the door and the time had expired. Having no idea how long they had been at high temp, I had to do it again so I moved to a different floor and did it again and the same thing happened! I finally realized that the shoes were so strong that when they banged against the dryer door they hit it open. So try to put something against it to hold it closed.

BTW if you can find someone with a Packtite in Boulder, they could do your stuff for you - has happened on this site before.

Was in Boulder for the Ironman in August...........

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,207 posts in 50,139 topics over 155 months by 21,919 of 22,414 members. Latest: Bigworm, Cain69, Bery10