(7 posts)
  1. tngal

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 2 2017 2:27:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi all,
    After a bed bug experience five years ago (when a guest brought them to our home after staying in a hotel, 2 heat treatments...), I am super cautious about hotel stays. My husband needs to travel a lot more often these days for business, and I make him follow a crazy very specific protocol when he stays overnight. I have invested in a packtite and will heat the suitcase and its contents afterward as well. However this takes a very long time and I am looking into other options.
    Does anyone know if the bed bug heating luggage actually works - that is, it heats up the right way to kill bugs and eggs, even if full? I find when I heat a full suitcase in the packtite, it takes forever...
    I'm also considering getting a bigger packtite -- anyone have any specific ones to recommend or stay away from?
    I appreciate any advice!

2. mp7ski

Posted 1 year ago
    Sun Apr 2 2017 3:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

David Cain, one of the experts on here has tested multiple heating devices and while he won't specify his exact results for multiple reasons, I know one of the main heaters at his decon site is the packtite closet(I believe he has more than one of them). That's what I would buy if I were you.

Any heating device will take longer the more it is filled but it's all part of the process.

Just curious, I'm trying to gain more knowledge on heat treatments so I was wondering the specifics on yours if you wouldn't mind.

Do you remember the kind of heaters they used (electric or propane)? What temp did they shoot for and for how long? Did they heat the whole house or just the bedrooms and living room?

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Mon Apr 3 2017 10:57:28
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband needs to travel a lot more often these days for business, and I make him follow a crazy very specific protocol when he stays overnight.

LOL -- I can relate.

I don't know a lot about the heated luggage.

I have a Packtite Closet which works well, but the devices work much faster if luggage is not full. I decided it's not worth waiting for those long treatment times, so I tend to wash/dry washable clothing. I pack it in a bag within the luggage and then I just pop this out when the case goes in the Packtite.

The nice thing is you can also hang up items which can't be washed/dried on hangers in the Packtite and they will come to treatment temperature very, very fast.

For example, when I treated them, several winter down coats on hangers got up to 120F in 20-some minutes (and then you stay at temp for an hour). It would be much slower if they were folded into a suitcase or smaller heating device.

(Disclosure: the site carries ads for Packtite, which help support the running of the site if you shop through them, and I run the site. However, I genuinely use the product and love it. You can see the full disclosure policy here.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Tue Apr 4 2017 8:45:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Self heating luggage is an over engineered solution that actually fails because it cant actually heat the places bed bugs actually hang out with luggage. While I have not tested it I don't need to as the zippers which are most likely to be where the bed bugs hang out cant get hot enough with a conductive based passive heating approach.. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

86ad2c8d81d9 by David Cain, on Flickr

My luggage recommendation is Oyster style hard sided cases with smooth surfaces.

A check when you travel is the best prevention and processing your luggage when back home with a technology that works such as PackTite gives you that final safety net.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. Aware

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue Jan 30 2018 15:56:13
    #

Login to Send PM

This website appears to have a comprehensive list of hard-sided luggage without zippers:

http://www.safesuitcases.com/

6. thirdusername

Posted 3 months ago
    Thu Feb 1 2018 2:08:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Aware - 1 day ago  » 
    This website appears to have a comprehensive list of hard-sided luggage without zippers:
    http://www.safesuitcases.com/

Thanks for the link.
    Wish I'd known more before I bought my luggage last year.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  7. Aware

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun Feb 4 2018 19:22:34
    #

Login to Send PM

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,610 posts in 44,798 topics over 137 months by 19,660 of 20,361 members. Latest: freakednurse, Cottagebugs, victor