LOW level population. Getting over the paranoia, sort of ;) TW- War not won

(5 posts)
  1. BbsTO

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 14 2017 20:56:39
    #

Login to Send PM

TW - Don't read if you're still very sensitive to other folk's stories that are still in progress . It starts sort of negative but gets better! Sort of...

*This is a low level population* Everyone reacts differently, despite the level of population. Someone who has a low level population may have a much worse experience than someone with a high level infestation. It's all relative, and no one is judging you on your reaction. Circumstances are all different. In my case, it's a low level population, I have moderate anxiety and a (unique variety of) low level OCD. So I don't really know what others are going through.

So I hadn't been bit or caught anything since May 19/20th. I let my guard down a little too quick, perhaps. Just a few days ago my ankle became annihilated (my allergic reaction to bbs was always bad, though.) but I had been by a lake earlier that day and noticed a ton of mosquitoes lurking around. Reasonable explanation for the rows of bruised bites in one location on my ankle? Hmmm...
    Took 2 days but I found an adult on my bed. First adult I've found during this ordeal. ON my bed. HOW?!?! I have the interceptors, everything is wrapped in bb proof covers (pillows, mattress, box spring), pulled 6" away from the wall. No obvious cracks above bed. "Hello, where did you come from?!" I very calmly bagged, tagged and dated the dude.
    Yes.
    Dude.
    So during all of this from the time I discovered it was indeed, bbs that were causing me all of these issues, I have educated myself.
    By doing research and informing those around me, my anxiety has GREATLY decreased. Even finding an adult weeks after my last bite/bagging of a bug, I still feel calm. I am totally aware it's different for people with either intense infestations or intense paranoia. I get that. But I'm saying that a low level population's anxiety induing stress may, perhaps, worth-a-try, be slightly alleviated by taking measures against it. Feeling like you have the upper hand.

I recognized that by the time I found this adult, I was so much more educated than when I started. I had all of the supplies I needed (steamer, vacuum, powder, interceptors, bb proof cases to put freshly washed things, double sided tape, etc.). The money had already been spent, really. My friends were an army of "how can I help" since I'd already explained what an exhausting experience this can be (I still don't let them stay the night, but if they're aware of the problem they're allowed to come over.)

There is so much more to this story, but I can now sit on public transit. There ARE improvements. Don't give up! We're all here for you. It CAN get better! I recognize my experience has been relatively minor, but we're all here for you. Keep battling! Keep educating! Lets work together to end the stigma and spread! <3

Thinking of you all. Wish I could be there to help.

-BbsTO

2. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed Jun 14 2017 23:35:31
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm so sorry you're still going through this BbsTO.

It's been one month since my bathroom encounter with a lone bedbug, and two and a half weeks since my place (along with adjoining neighbours) was cleared by a PCO and K9, but I can't seem to let go of the paranoia.

No signs of anything on my mattress, or the passive monitor on my boxspring, but I'm still keeping my clothes bagged, still afraid to put my belongings back where they are normally stored. Still changing into a separate "around the apartment" outfit as soon as I get home.

Each day I notice small itchy welts that pop up on various parts of my body, and it's making me apprehensive. I've had these in the past and they weren't bedbug related - they may be due to carpet beetles, being outdoors, or a psychosomatic reaction due to worry. They don't last long and usually disappear within a few hours. I have nutty skin, so it really could be anything.

My experience is nothing compared to what other people endure, but this scare has me on edge, and it's hard for me to relax. Since I don't know the source of that bug, I'm worried others might creep in after it.

I think I may have to give it another month before I can start to live normally again, not sure - I'd love to post in success stories, but I'm worried I'm going to jinx myself. My big fear is that I'll finally get back to living only to find one of these things strolling across my comforter, or even worse, be at work and have someone say "hey, you have a bug on your shirt".
    : (

You are very positive & proactive, and I'm sure you're going to be bug free very soon. Best of luck to you in your continued battle!

3. bbmom

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 23:30:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Cheezwiz - 23 hours ago  » 
    I'm so sorry you're still going through this BbsTO.
    It's been one month since my bathroom encounter with a lone bedbug, and two and a half weeks since my place (along with adjoining neighbours) was cleared by a PCO and K9, but I can't seem to let go of the paranoia.
    No signs of anything on my mattress, or the passive monitor on my boxspring, but I'm still keeping my clothes bagged, still afraid to put my belongings back where they are normally stored. Still changing into a separate "around the apartment" outfit as soon as I get home.
    Each day I notice small itchy welts that pop up on various parts of my body, and it's making me apprehensive. I've had these in the past and they weren't bedbug related - they may be due to carpet beetles, being outdoors, or a psychosomatic reaction due to worry. They don't last long and usually disappear within a few hours. I have nutty skin, so it really could be anything.
    My experience is nothing compared to what other people endure, but this scare has me on edge, and it's hard for me to relax. Since I don't know the source of that bug, I'm worried others might creep in after it.
    I think I may have to give it another month before I can start to live normally again, not sure - I'd love to post in success stories, but I'm worried I'm going to jinx myself. My big fear is that I'll finally get back to living only to find one of these things strolling across my comforter, or even worse, be at work and have someone say "hey, you have a bug on your shirt".
    : (
    You are very positive & proactive, and I'm sure you're going to be bug free very soon. Best of luck to you in your continued battle!

If you are cleared by PCO and K9 it's very unlikely you have bbs. I would consult a dermatologist about your skin reaction, what you describe sounds like hives. But it could be contact dermatitis or rash. Did you change your skincare, laundry detergent? Are you touching plastic bags all the time, do they smell? Did you get a chemical treatment?

4. bbmom

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jun 15 2017 23:31:51
    #

Login to Send PM

BbsTO - 1 day ago  » 
    TW - Don't read if you're still very sensitive to other folk's stories that are still in progress . It starts sort of negative but gets better! Sort of...
    *This is a low level population* Everyone reacts differently, despite the level of population. Someone who has a low level population may have a much worse experience than someone with a high level infestation. It's all relative, and no one is judging you on your reaction. Circumstances are all different. In my case, it's a low level population, I have moderate anxiety and a (unique variety of) low level OCD. So I don't really know what others are going through.
    So I hadn't been bit or caught anything since May 19/20th. I let my guard down a little too quick, perhaps. Just a few days ago my ankle became annihilated (my allergic reaction to bbs was always bad, though.) but I had been by a lake earlier that day and noticed a ton of mosquitoes lurking around. Reasonable explanation for the rows of bruised bites in one location on my ankle? Hmmm...
    Took 2 days but I found an adult on my bed. First adult I've found during this ordeal. ON my bed. HOW?!?! I have the interceptors, everything is wrapped in bb proof covers (pillows, mattress, box spring), pulled 6" away from the wall. No obvious cracks above bed. "Hello, where did you come from?!" I very calmly bagged, tagged and dated the dude.
    Yes.
    Dude.
    So during all of this from the time I discovered it was indeed, bbs that were causing me all of these issues, I have educated myself.
    By doing research and informing those around me, my anxiety has GREATLY decreased. Even finding an adult weeks after my last bite/bagging of a bug, I still feel calm. I am totally aware it's different for people with either intense infestations or intense paranoia. I get that. But I'm saying that a low level population's anxiety induing stress may, perhaps, worth-a-try, be slightly alleviated by taking measures against it. Feeling like you have the upper hand.
    I recognized that by the time I found this adult, I was so much more educated than when I started. I had all of the supplies I needed (steamer, vacuum, powder, interceptors, bb proof cases to put freshly washed things, double sided tape, etc.). The money had already been spent, really. My friends were an army of "how can I help" since I'd already explained what an exhausting experience this can be (I still don't let them stay the night, but if they're aware of the problem they're allowed to come over.)
    There is so much more to this story, but I can now sit on public transit. There ARE improvements. Don't give up! We're all here for you. It CAN get better! I recognize my experience has been relatively minor, but we're all here for you. Keep battling! Keep educating! Lets work together to end the stigma and spread! <3
    Thinking of you all. Wish I could be there to help.
    -BbsTO

Did you get a treatment after finding bugs the second time?

5. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 1:24:56
    #

Login to Send PM

bbmom

I think my skin reaction is hives. Most of the time they appear singly as small raised welts with some surrounding redness, itch mildly, and then disappear after a few hours. When I was prepping for inspection I did find a carpet beetle larvae, so there may be more around, and I may be reacting to those. Or it could be purely stress related.

I didn't have chemical treatment - just a precautionary dusting of drione around my baseboards. Apparently drione dust doesn't usually cause skin reactions.

My rational brain says its probably unlikely I have these critters, but I think just the prepping for the dusting treatment triggered something in my brain that caused some mental distress. I was pretty calm up until that point.

This is truly one of my biggest fears so being confronted with an honest-to-God live one in my bathtub was really upsetting.

So I'm trying to reassure myself with the following:
    -I'm educated and know what to do and what not to do
    -the K9 inspector said I did everything right
    -not only my suite, but apparently the suites that adjoin mine were cleared by the K9
    -I now know that my building management will take things seriously and send in pest control if presented with solid evidence (I think that's one of the biggest worries if you're a renter - not knowing how the landlord will respond).
    -there is some dust around my baseboards & in my upholstered furniture which might take out anything else that tries to creep in.
    -I have now made friends with the spiders in my suite.

For whatever reason, I just can't seem to let go and relax. The psychological damage these little critters do would be an interesting area of study.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081