low income apartment building over run with bed bugs, they won't do anything

(3 posts)
  1. mully4235

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 21 2017 18:41:19
    #

Login to Send PM

My mom lives in a senior/disabled low income apartment building. They are over run with bed bugs and no one is doing much about it. She's been sprayed 3 or 4 times now and the orkin guy tells her its all clear and then she finds more a week later. Two of her neighbors have been completely infested bad. The owner doesn't seem to care. She's bagged and cleaned everything. We tore everything up in her apartment looking for them. There were no signs anywhere except for a couple of adults ones I'm assuming are coming from her neighbors. Today she found a baby one and an adult one. They keep spreading to the other neighbors. She's tried contacting everyone she can think of (housing committee, hud, city building people, newspaper)but nobody will do anything about it. They'll only spray the one apartment that requests it, not any of the neighbors. The apartment across from her had them crawling all over the walls. Who are we supposed to call to get the whole building sprayed?????? She's afraid that they're going to kick her out because she keeps speaking up about it. The stress of it has already landed her in the ER once.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 22 2017 8:40:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The logistics of treating such a facility can be challenging. If the residents are unable or unwilling to vacate for the length of the treatment and also unable to prep their own belongings I can see where the management finds themselves stuck in a bad situation.

3. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 23 2017 23:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry she's going through this, awful. Talk to someone at a local newspaper or tv station. When you are talking to the media make the point that management needs to find people who deal with this all the time and know the dynamics of a big complex.

One study I read said that putting DE around the inside perimeter of an apartment decreased the chance of getting bedbugs in your apartment. And Cimexa is even better than DE. You may want to supplement the treatment they are giving with Cimexa and put it around the inside perimeter of her apartment. Good Luck! Difficult problem.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,644 posts in 50,005 topics over 154 months by 21,867 of 22,348 members. Latest: jaa5108, fightingback, Jenloaa