Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Losing My Mind

(11 posts)
  1. Lastwill

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 3:37:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm 32 years old, I live with my parents. I do all the cleaning and chores because they can't move around very well.

My mother is a boarderline hoarder. (Packrat?) Every surface of our old house is covered in clutter... you see where this is going, I'm sure.

Our dog became infested with fleas and my mothers arms were full of bites, it was tough but through lots of work and treatments it seems we got rid of the fleas. Only a couple weeks ago my mother blurts out, "I found a bed bug".

She showed me the captured bug and sure enough it was a bed bug. I wanted to die right there- I knew exactly what I was up against.

I ripped up the carpet and vacuumed the room, sprinkled DE on every crack and edge, wall socket, and bed/box spring.

The past two weeks my mom has only had two more bed bugs bite her. And now Im getting bites, but no bed bugs have been discovered in my room...yet.

I feel like I've already lost this fight. I'm so tired. I wake up at 6:30am, come home from work at 6 to an impossibly cluttered house that I know is going to be overrun by these blood sucking vermin.

You don't understand. I can't throw out anything in this house without my mother freaking out. If these bugs spread I will never be able to get rid of them, I can't even begin to clean it properly- not even for a PCO. We must have 1,000 books in this house alone!

I went to bed tonight at 11pm and its 4:34. My ankles got bitten up and all I can think of is...I have a full day of work tomorrow then i return to this house.

I don't know what to do. My room isn't safe. My bed isn't safe. My parents aren't taking this seriously and think I'm going to solve this bed bug problem.

I am scared I'm going to do something stupid.

2. Flybee

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 4:24:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Please don't do anything stupid. You're young and you've got your life to live. There is hope with fungus treatments without prep.

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 6:54:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Aprehend is the fungus preparation, but it is available to a PMP/PCO.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Lastwill

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 7:32:24
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a big, old house full of clutter. Unless the PCO is also an acrobat there is no way to spray the rooms effectively. I speculate it would take me a few months to clear out the house to male that possible.

Also, my parents are cheap. It takes me one year to save $1,000, I would never save enough money to nip this fiasco in the bud

5. Tim m

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Sep 17 2018 11:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs are not the end of the world it's true they are hard to get rid of but not impossible. First thing is to talk to your parents and tell them alot of the stuff needs to go to the dump. If and when the clutter is gone, call around alot of company's have payment plans and will most of the time work with the customer. Just take deep breaths and don't stress out to much. bed bugs have a huge impact on our mental state. Honestly I would rather get bit by a bed bug than a flea, bed bugs are not known to carry diseases fleas are.

6. Lastwill

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Sep 18 2018 9:00:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to keep my head, I understand panicking doesn't really help the situation, so I'm trying to divorce my feelings from the problem.

Last night I started decluttering and throwing stuff away in my parent's room. I think I was moderately successful in the sense that if someone needed to get there they could do a through job inspecting.

I have three other floors to declutter (not including the attic). My question is, is it worth having a PCO treat one floor? Or is that stupid because the bugs would retreat elsewhere, causing a deeper infestation? I suspect the entire floor my parent's bedroom is on is affected by these bugs. If they spread I know- not feel- it will be almost impossible to get rid of them.

7. WeltsAbound

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Sep 18 2018 13:37:05
    #

Login to Send PM

First off all, please remember--in every room of your house, you are safe. These cannot harm you. They are psychologically icky. But remind yourself that you are safe from harm whenever that thought pops in. It helps.

Even if BBs do spread, PCO treat multiple story homes successfully all the time. Will it take a few months to a year? Perhaps. That's not umpossible, though. That's not forever. The words we think shape how we feel, shape what we do, shape what happens next. Hyperbole and panic are more harmful to you than the BBs themselves.

It's okay to feel overwhelmed--we all are. As much as you can, continue to make self-care a priority throughout this. You cannot pour from an empty cup.

You're going to get through this. It's only a moment in time. Take care.

8. Lastwill

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Sep 19 2018 14:06:29
    #

Login to Send PM

So it would be unwise to have them treat just one floor? It should be the whole house?

9. Lastwill

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Sep 20 2018 10:01:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thoughts please?

10. tryingforcalm

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 28 2018 17:19:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not an expert, but sadly have had these things (and treated them) 3 times. I am overly cautious, so thankfully I have never been an infestation.

It may not be as bad as you think it is. BUT...in talking to the few people I know who admit to having had them, and reading here, rarely have I heard someone successfully treat one room.

You are doing the right thing by starting to clear out rooms. If you can afford a PCO, please do. If you cannot, clearing some of the space will be critical.

You can get rid of them with elbow grease. But it takes a lot of work, patience, and reading.

Most PCOs won't treat just one room. And you are right, it may not be worth it because they may just move.

Have you called any PCOs yet to get prices?

Have you thought about what DIYmethos you would use?

You are doing the right thing by clearing out the clutter. That is a good place to focus your energy right now. And take actions. Call a pco just to hear what the7 say. You will feel better.

11. bugged-cdn

Posted 9 months ago
    Fri Sep 28 2018 20:11:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if putting down some Cimexa (inexpensive) would be a good idea to at least keep the numbers down until a PCO can be brought in?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,695 posts in 48,874 topics over 151 months by 21,456 of 21,858 members. Latest: Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com, KlendathuKing