Losing Hope - The Bugs Are Back - Please Read

(26 posts)
  1. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 12:37:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I am so distraught right now I can hardly stand it. I have done EVERY single recommend thing and I just discovered that the "bugs" are back. Let me start from the begining. I discovered that I had these "bugs" about the end of May. I am terrified of bugs period these were like the Freddy Kruger of bugs that come get you in your sleep. My boyfriend caught one of the bugs and put it in a container and we took it to an extermintator1 who identified them as bed bugs. So in my panic I left everything at my house - took our clothes off at the door of my boyfriend's house, put in a platic ziplock bag and showered. So my first ordered of business was to go back in the house get every piece of clothing we had and wash it in hot water and dryed it bone (which ruined alot of clothes). Immediately from the dryer I put everything in the gigantic ziplock bags and took it back to my boyfriend's. We decided I would not go back to the apartment until this was over. Next I contacted my apartment complex and let them know what going. They were defensive but said they would send in there exterminator. We exterminator2 came in and said these aren't bed bugs they are bat bugs. I was kind of relieved b/c they seemed just a bit easier to get rid of. Well, as I discovered at a later date when the exterminator2 was at my house, alone, in the middle of the night - he stole several items from and was the most rude and putrid man I have ever met. At this point I went over the property managers head and went to the owners of the property. I did not want this man to treat my house. They apologize but said there was no recourse for my missing items. So now I have "bugs" and my stuff stolen and nothing I can do. So the apartment owners send in exterminator #3 - he tries to tell me that basically I'm crazy and don't have any bugs because he can't find any (even though he's looking in the day light and I've been out of the house for 3 weeks at this point) and that it prolly was an "oak tree bug" because I had my windows open. So even though I know he's wrong I research this bug - it doesn't not exsist. He procedees to tell me that he cannot find any bats nest but that he did find a swallows nest (uh hellow they carry these bugs according to my research!) and that he removed and patched the area. So apartment authority decides that exterm #3's opinion is the holy grail and says that I don't have any bed or bat or bird bugs but they will have a professional steam my carpets and my couches but not our beds. So they send him and he does his thing says he even put down some chemical that will even kill the HIV virus and that he doesnt see any bugs. The apartments says they are done and that I need to move home. I am not comfortable with that because of all my research says steaming is not enough. So my boyfriend goes any buys some plytherins (bear with my spelling). And sprays every last thing in my house including our matteress, beds, and corners. I steam our beds spray more of the plytherins stuff. Then I call exterminator #4 and tell him to just come treat my house for bed bugs/bat bugs/bird bugs. At this point it is almost 1 1/2months has passed since I have lived there. He sprays his stuff and into the air ducts that they suspected the bugs traveled from in relation to the bird nest. I put on mattress covers on beds because my bedroom furniture and mattress and linens were all brand new when we moved in here just 7 months ago. I wait 3 more weeks before I finally move back home. I'm terrfied and feel that horrible creepy sensation but trying my best to be comfortable. I keep everything in our bags except dirty laundry we take off everyday. So the first week goes fine. No bites. Second week. I'm noticing little bites but they seems smaller then the ones originally. Try to shake it off as just nothing. Then it happened Saturday. Just 2 weeks after moving in I decide to finally put some of our clothing away in drawers. I'm sorting dirty laundry to be washed and I see it. A small reddish-brown bug on my white shirt that was in the dark hall closet. Oh my god. I can't believe they are back. I did every single recommedation that I could find. Every eraddicating step I know and I still have the bugs. I burst out crying not because I am as scared as I was orginially but because I feel like I am never going to get rid of these things. That I'm going to lose everything I worked so hard to get and have to start over. I am losing hope and I feel so defeated. I don't even know where to begin this time. I dont even know how I originally got these things. I haven't been on vacation or in a hotel or anything. I live in Indiana - I didn't even know this could even happen. I don't know if I have the strength to do all of this all over again. Live out of bags was horrible. I haven't slept in days now and all wanted was my home back and some stability for my child as we started the new school year. I just need some encouragement and some advice because right now I feel so alone and so helpless. Please please Please reply.

2. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 12:50:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi losinghope,

First, you are finally in the right place! We don't think you're crazy and we're very sorry that you've had such a bad experience with PCOs. Further, we're sorry that you didn't have the best information. But now you're here, and believe me, this will be over one day. But you need to take the right steps. I won't increase your misery by listing everything you did wrong, but the main thing now that you've found them again is to not be tempted to move away again. It's very important for you to remain in your home, as treatments will not work if you are not around.

When you are a bit calmer, I suggest you start by reading the FAQs here. Click on the orange bug square at the bottom of the page and start with the 101 section.

First, is to save any bugs you find. Do not throw them out. Second is to get QUALIFIED professional help in to see your home asap. If you have a bug, you have evidence and you can speak to your building management and insist on a professional who knows bedbugs.

It's going to get better. It is NOT hopeless. And you and your child will be fine.

And losinghope? We'll be here every step, ok?

3. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 14:09:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hopelessnomo,

Thank you so much for responding. No one around me seems to understand how devasting this bug is. I went and read the FAQs - I did do the opposite on alot of them (sleeping on the couch, moved out, throwing out our stuff, spraying chemicals). My natural inclinations probably made the problem worse. The really hard part is I have battle my apartment complex on there responsibilites and they refuse to pay for the treatments. The act as if it was something I caused. They totally treat my situation as if-you-can't-handle-this-then-move - is so so so discouraging. Due to lack of sleep and there for lack of energy I have given up on fighting them. The part I'm worried about is that I live in a small town we have about 6-7 exterminators - I have used 4 of them and most of them act seem clueless on how to truely get rid of the bugs. I'm worried what if I dont have anyone qualified in my area. No one seems to know anything about these bugs around here. Everyone compares them to a dust mite. They seem so inexperienced as if they have never dealt with these bugs before. This has to be the most expensive bug out there. I have spent SO much money on ziplock bags and laundry and exterminator and time off from work. It's so hard especially because I'm a single mother. Sorry to whine. But your words are good to hear. I do really need to know that I wont have to abandon all of our stuff and memories and start over. That is nearly not an option for us. It's good to have some support. I feel like this has taken over my life. Thank you - I hope soon I can say that I dont feel hopeless any more.

4. parakeets

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Mon Jul 30 2007 15:08:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel so much for the anguish you are going through. We know what it's like! We've been there. Many of us know more than some of the PCOs who come to treat our places because of the education we've gotten here and thanks to the incredible input from people like Lou Sorkin, Nobugs, and all the others here. People are here to help you every step of the way.

Though it is not a help to you know, time will make your local PCOs better at treating bedbugs. When bedbugs first hit Boston, the PCOs were saying outlandish things (Things like "No, it's highly unlikely to even be bedbugs." or "One treatment and we can get rid of them, guaranteed.") PCOs were treating incorrectly in those days--treating them like roaches, or using fumigation bombs, etc. Time has made Boston bedbug control much better. There just was a great Boston bedbug conference and some of the presenters and sponsors were themselves PCOs--and sharp about bedbugs! So I promise the PCOs will get better in your area, if bedbugs are new to the area.

Can you phone-screen the PCOs first? That's what I did. From what you learn here, you can know the questions to ask and the kind of answers you should be wary of. Also, the best exterminator might not be in your town. Is there a city nearby or a military base where there are exterminators who might be more knowledgeable and could travel to treat?

I hate to be paranoid, but until we have aggregate pheromone traps that can detect bedbugs, I think anyone here who finds a bedbug sample should hang on to it for dear life and not give it away to anyone--landlord, exterminator, doctor .... you need to keep the evidence. One of our biggest problems is that people don't believe us.

I've been around here for a while, I'm ashamed to admit, but one hopeful thing I've noticed is that people go through phases before they get to the final (not blissful) "They're gone and I hope they never come back" phase. One of the key phases to go through is "I feel I am never going to get rid of these bugs." Since you are in that phase, you are moving along in the process of being a winning bedbug warrior. We love you.

5. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 10:01:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Parakeets,

Thank you for responding. Any feedback I get I feel will help make me stronger. I am hanging on for dear life to this teeny tiney shred of hope. You guys make my sliver of hope ever so slightly bigger each time. Thank you for your love - I so need it.

So here is a plan the very rough draft of a plan I'm trying to come up with. I'm to call some more PCOs and see the methods and materials they use. The exterminator I'm using now, in his defense, has really tried his best to calm me down and treats me with the upmost respect, he even charged me only half price to treat my apartment ($60) but I just feel like what he doing is not working - that he's just not experienced enough. He's using one chemical that shocks there nervous system I guess but I'm not sure that's enough. So i'm going to phone screen like you suggest some other exterminators. Then should my next be to start re-washing all our clothes and linens again will I'm try to get a new exterminator #5 or is there any chemicals I could use or what should I do next. All your suggest are completely welcomed. Again Thank you everybody in advance. I never thought I bug could make me feel so desperate with my life and living it like this...

6. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 10:31:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My advice on your stolen items would be to call the police and report this to them.
    Let the cops check into it. If this guy is stealing from you then he is stealing from others too.
    HIV virus is not very strong. Killing HIV is not a way for a professional to respond to killing bed bugs.
    Yes, We have all been where you are now and then some. Welcome to the WAR ON BED BUGS.
    It is a long battle but you must fight and win you have no other option.
    You will win! You are not alone.

The epidemic is growing even though some journalists think that it is no big deal.

Hey Adam can you see how bed bugs are affecting people? Do you still support your post or have you come to realize that you may have made a big error?

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 11:04:27
    #

Login to Send PM

losinghope,

I am glad you are here and sorry you had so much trouble. The FAQs should help. The one on protecting the bed should show you how to sleep at home during treatment, which is necessary but does not have to be a nightmare. Also, we have a FAQ on choosing a PCO--it is written by a PCO and gives you the questions you should ask.

Most importantly, your PCO who knows bed bugs should be doing their thing every 10-14 days until the problem is gone. Coming back in 3 weeks is not good enough. Eggs hatch within 10-14 days and those babies need to be killed.

Finally, I know it can be hard to find a good PCO in a small town. When bed bugs first arose again a few years ago, nobody knew how to deal with them. Now many cities have someone who really does, sometimes multiple companies.

A year ago I would not have recommended this option, but it seems like Orkin and Terminex are getting their act together about bed bugs. They are franchises, from what I gather, and so treatment may vary (and you should ask them the same questions you'd ask any other PCO you interview!) However, they have the benefit of a national network, and I think that in some places that haven't seen many bed bug cases, that may give them an edge. Again, I say this with caution and you should interview them carefully, but I gather from some news articles that they are catching on.

ltdan., no offense but I seriously doubt Adam is reading every thread of our discussion forums. When you refer to him in this way in all kinds of threads, you may be confusing others. Just thought I'd mention that.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 12:09:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobogs makes a good point. Orkin and Terminix may actually have an advantage over local PCOs because they may be able to spread knowledge around their networks. The guys in the big cities who are seeing BBs just exploding may share knowledge with their colleagues in more isolated areas. I am interviewing my second PCO tomorrow and may call Orkin just for a point of comparison for this very reason.

9. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 12:22:42
    #

Login to Send PM

losinghope....How ATTACHED is your apt...In other words, How many common walls do you share with other apts.??? You mention that you haven't traveled or displayed any behavior that might be associated with "getting bed bugs"...So it is a possiblility that they are coming in thru a common wall...Also, ..I am so confused about the bat bug issue. I have heard that Swallow nests can contain bat bugs ..I had 3 years of Swallow nests on my front porch, and never did I get bugs from them...Now suddenly we are hearing about this "crossing over"...Its so weird. I was going to suggest the same thing as Nobugs...Although in the past I wouldn't have no I would say to interview them. I am not certain if they are a franchise operation, in other words, independently owned, but even so they have to complete training as per the standards of Terminex or Orkin. Don't throw anything away that you will regret...Inspect things and put them into secure ziplocks and then put them into clear plastic bins...Mark the bins with the items inside and date them...In 18 months you can open them again....Yes, you might have a lot of bins but you won't regret throwing things away...For now you have to live as minimallly as possible...We are all sorry for this happening to you....I still remember the angst I felt...but I am ok now.....

10. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 12:25:40
    #

Login to Send PM

ltdan - I was in shock that this man had the audicity to actually steal from me when I was so down and out. He stole my brand new dig cam that was in my nightstand that i took pictures of my bites with. He hurt me the most b/c it had my memory card of my sons first zoo trip and birthday parties (sigh). He stole my MP3 player. The thing that just blew me away was that knowing he was all alone in my abandoned infested apartment he took the time to pick out all of the golden dollars in this change jar in my room that I save for my son to put in his bank when it's full. He picked took the delibrate time to pick out each golden dollar! This was the exterminator the apartment hired and when i called them and told them the situation and refused his services the acted completely uninterested. You are right I will make a police report. I just hope it isn't too late. I know I shouldn't have left that stuff but in my sheer terror I left EVERYTHING and was too scared to go back and get it before it was too late. I will never trust another stranger in my house again.

nobugs - thank you for the direction I will look for those links. The intial exterminator who identified the bug for me was Termnix so I think I will give them a interview based off the questions list that you pointed me too. I thought that getting a deal was a good idea but I am so completely desperate for peace I will pay what I need to rid this from my life.

All- I'm sorry I have another question. I'm so completely terrified of my bedroom the thought of sleeping in there is out of the question. I have not walked in there since I rediscovered the bugs. But my question is am I causing more harm by sleeping on the couch? I'm only getting about 4 hours of broken sleep in there anyway but I know I will not be able to fall asleep in my room at all. I know I might sound very dramatic but even when I had moved and was staying with someone else I would have nightmares that bugs were crawling all over me and biting. It is it unreasonable to believe that bedbugs could cause some severe psychological damage? I feel like I will never be the same. I feel like even if I beat these bugs by some miracle that I will constantly be in fear of them or not have any sound mind because I will believe there everywhere. I already feel like I could never stay at another hotel in my life. Vacations have become evil in my mind. I feel like that it is almost impossible to truely rid ourselves of these. Like a living nightmare on elm street....Everything seems suspect for the future now.

11. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 13:00:25
    #

Login to Send PM

one more question - what is DE? and could someone list some supplemental chemicals to kill the mutha suckas. What there names are and where to buy them and if you had a price idea that would be wonderful too. Thank you!

12. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 13:23:19
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is diatomaceous earth. You want food grade and I think you can get it at organic garden supply places like Peaceful Valley in California. There is also a pool grade that I've seen in hardware stores, but you don't want that.

I bought Bedlam, which is an aerosol labeled for BBs and also for use on mattresses. I've sprayed it on upholstered furniture, in the car and on painted walls. It smells nasty, but the smell doesn't last long. So far, it has not done any damage to fabrics or to the walls.

Claire Lice Killer is another aerosol also labeled for use on mattresses and it also did not damage any of the fabrics I used it on. It's about $12 per can. Probably cheaper if you buy in quantity. Might be the same chemicals as in Bedlam - not sure. I used this on my mattresses and inside the box springs before I sealed them up in vinyl.

I have used Suspend SC on the rugs before I rolled them up and sealed them in plastic. I used it on luggage, furniture (including the bedframe), trashcans, shelving, baseboards, floors. This stuff is expensive - maybe $60? - for a bottle that you mix and put in a garden sprayer. It's labeled for broadcast applications, not just crack and crevice.

There is also a pyrethroid dust called Drione that you shoot into cracks and crevices, but the PCO I spoke to earlier this week genuinely seemed concerned about that stuff. I think I read you have a child? Maybe best to skip the Drione. I left it where I dusted it into wall voids, electrical outlets and light switches, but cleaned it out from under the baseboards.

All this stuff is available on the 'net.

I don't, incidentally, mean to suggest that you should use any of this stuff without consulting your PCO. I also can't say for sure that any of it has done me any good. I got and used it before I learned enough about BBs, though in hindsight, I probably would have sprayed the bedframes and mattresses anyway.

13. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 14:20:07
    #

Login to Send PM

bugalina - My apartment section has a common hallway with an upstairs and downstairs. There are 4 "homes" on top and 4 on bottom. 2 on left and 2 on the right. So I share one common wall or side with one other apartment because I am upstairs on the right. I am truely afraid that everyone must have them. I've only lived there since january. discovered these bugs end of may so kind of weird to come out of no where. I since I dont know my neighbors very well I have tried to ask any of them have they had any strange bites or seen any weird bugs in there room but they either seem not to have. every single other person in the complex has pets except me so I wonder if they just assume that they have fleas or something. The bug identification has been pretty frustrating and confusing to me also. Since I have been through so many different exterminators. Terminx (the first people I called when I noticied the bites and then seen the bug) actually took it back to there place and said it was a bed bug. the theif exterminator said it was bat bugs but instead of bed bugs but didn't explain why (and then stole from me so I never got to find out). The third exterminator was horrible and said since he couldn't find a bat nest that it wasn't bat bugs and that it wasn't bed bugs cause he couldn't find any (even though he only search one time in the daytime) and that i was crazy. he said he found a abandoned swallows nest and that he would remove it but there were no bugs and was just paranoid crazy. grrrrr. so that's what happened. The apartment went with his opininon because they dont want to spend the money or carry any responsibility what so ever. I hate this apartment.

buggeroff - Thank you. At least now I will know what people are talking about and different things to discuss with the PCO's.

14. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 14:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

We have a FAQ on DE (diatomaceous earth). I recommend dirtworks.net which sells food grade DE alone or with added pesticides. They also contributed a lot of information to us about DE, and they're nice guys. Make sure you run DE by your PCO though, since some treatment protocols may be in conflict with using it. (That goes for anything you're doing on your own.)

Sleeping in the couch or anywhere else is not a good idea: first, bed bugs will find you. They will spread to new locations. Also, during treatment, you will need to sleep in the infested home/bedroom to lure them out. IF you follow the protecting the bed FAQs on our site, you will not be bitten. You CAN sleep in your bed without bed bugs crawling on and biting you. But you have to follow all the directions carefully.

15. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 15:06:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs - I know your right. It's just such a mental thing with me. <Shudder> It's going to be SO HARD to mentally force myself to go in there but I know your it's for the best. Thanks for the site.

16. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 15:16:29
    #

Login to Send PM

losinghope,
    I do not enjoy spreading bad news but I think it would be wise to assume that the bugs may have already spread to your couch and other areas. This was my case. My wife had been reacting to bites months before our discovery and I did not experience a reaction till months later and I am not sure if my reactions were delayed bite or stress and chemical, maybe all three. She would get up at four or five AM because she was itching so bad and would relocate downstairs to the couch. After our discovery and first spray I checked the couch and found a cast skin and a small second or third instar nymph and later after second spray I found an adult several months old under the mattress of the pullout couch. All of the chemicals that were dumped on my place and this son of a gun was still walking around. He was moving very slow but was alive.
    Please I know how you feel about these bugs but please try to approach it logically and do not allow yourself to freak ( i freaked, not at first) because your health will suffer.
    Your war may take some time and effort this is true for most of us but I have learned something about life because of it. I am a better person.

17. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Wed Aug 1 2007 15:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Ltdan were you able to salvage the sofa?

18. losinghope

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 9:40:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay guys - so following your advice I've done some brief phone interviews with Orkin and Terminix. I requested that both of them have the tech specialists call me so I can speak to them. Here's what I've learned so far. Orkin - is 1 treatment with a 30 day guarantee. Didn't like the guys attitude towards me though but maybe the specialist will be different. Terminix - is $250 intial treat with a 100% guarantee. He said specifically they would keep doing whatever they have to do without extra cost until they were gone. He said he also wanted to do monthly follow-ups after the first month for $35 a month. He was the guy that intitially came in and identified them as bed bugs (exterminator #1). So here is my question. Did you guys have to pay upfront. Right after or were billed? This sucks to be happening to me right before school starts. But I have to do what I have to do. Second questions. Is there a step by step action plan on here. Like I know #1 was to identify the bugs. #2 is the find a knowledgable and experienced PCO. So now is #3 Prepare my apartment. Is there something that tells exactly what I should do? Third question - Kind of new to forums should I start any more my questions as a new topic. Thank you guys in advance. Your positive outlooks that this can be overcomed has given me more and more strength each day. I am truly grateful for this site...

19. Bugalina

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 10:02:28
    #

Login to Send PM

losinghope...I don't have a lot of time now, but its a no brainer...Hire Terminex...But get everything in writing...every promise they make...every single thing in writing...read it all , small print included. I paid immediately after treatment. Make sure what they mean by "until they are gone"...Do they need to SEE a bed bug or will bites on your body be enuf evidence. You must get everything qualified and in writing. Yes, start new threads with specific questions....You'll be ok...just follow all the FAQ's and insist on good treatments. Ask Terminex exactly how they are going to treat and tell them that you are on this Blog thus in constant contact with "experienced bed buggers " !!!!! Deb

20. (deleted)

Unregistered

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 10:02:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi LH, I am so happy that you are feeling better and taking action. Yay for you, because you are on the road to no more bedbugs.

Ask your PCO about their billing methods. When I hired my own PCO, I paid upfront. That's probably how it works. I hate to see anyone paying for PCOs themselves, when their landlords or building managers probably should be doing so, for several reasons, actually, but that is for another day (and there are FAQs that address these issues, too, of course.)

Please read the following FAQs. I tried to arrange them in the order I think you should read them. (There are lots of other FAQs, understand, but this is to get you started.)

1. Think you have bed bugs? Some do’s and don’ts
    2. Advice from a Pest Control Operator on choosing a PCO to get rid of your bed bugs
    3. How do I prepare for my Pest Control Operator’s visit / for treatment? How do I deal with my stuff during treatment?
    4. How do I deal with clothing during treatment for bed bugs (and for a while later)?
    5. How do I protect my bed from bed bugs? (Part One)
    6. What is diatomaceous earth (DE)? Should I use it?

You should get a detailed prep sheet from the PCO. If they don't give you a detailed prep sheet, they aren't the right PCO! If you want to see what a detailed prep sheet looks like, for reference only as each PCO has their own protocol and methods and you should NOT simply do what others you meet online are doing, see this.

Good luck!

21. buggeroff

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 10:37:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I got a prep sheet this morning from a PCO. If you want me to send you a copy just for information, PM me. Terminix might have a different one and their pricing may depend on your compliance with their list. A lot of stuff on my sheet is very similar to the instructions you see on the FAQ here.

22. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 12:07:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Beatrice.

Yes I have the sofa. I am not sure of how many bugs or eggs may have been in the sofa.
    I do know that I caught two and two around the sofa.
    I had been treating the sofa with vacuum and DE and Bedlam also steam after the three PCO treatments of Suspend Sc and Gentrol and final PCO spray with BP-300 Whitmire.
    It has been six months from when I found a dead bug but of course it is difficult to give the all clear because of all of the current facts on bed bugs survival skills.

23. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 14:19:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks! Haven't seen one on the sofa and so far is has only been treated with CB-80 and vacuumed. The PCO treatments are done.

What type of steamer do you have?

24. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 14:36:25
    #

Login to Send PM

A $45.00 Shark hand held with attachments bought at Bed Bath&Beyond, but do not use a steamer till after the chemicals have a chance, steam will break down the chemical shorting the chemicals life. Also daylight, Windex, Water and some other products will break down the chemicals. I do not remember but I think that it was ammonia that can contribute to the chemical breakdown. I did not use steam till five weeks after my third and final treatment. I also have been self treating on occasion with Bedlam crack and crevice spray and DE. In my couch I have steamed many times and DE and Bedlam.
    You know that I believe they may have been in other places close to the sofa then crawling into the sofa to bite and back to a place like the wood floor. One entomologist told me that the bugs could harbor thirty feet from you and then travel when hungry and then travel back to the harbor site. Sometimes one will stray and hang out away from the initial site or once the population grows to a certain size they will spread.
    I guess something like leaving the dense populated city for the burbs only to find oneself commuting back to the city for work.

25. Beatrice

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Aug 2 2007 14:49:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha, I'm not sure a bed bug would be able to find it's way out of my sofa, the big city.

I was planning on waiting a few weeks before I started doing some stuff on my own. My PCO even recommeding buying some stuff for my sanity.

26. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Aug 3 2007 10:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh you would be surprised!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,217 posts in 50,141 topics over 155 months by 21,920 of 22,415 members. Latest: Cain69, Bery10, plsnopls