Looking to be advised. Several bites.

(5 posts)
  1. ohdearie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 21:03:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello, all. I am looking for some advice from someone who may be able to help me. I am the mother of four little ones, ages 1, 3, 5 and 7. My three year old passed his crib on to his baby brother in August and we replaced it with a second hand bed--I know, I know, that was my first misstep and I share it with some embarrassment! He had trouble with his new bed on the first night, so I lay down with him to put him at ease. The next morning I noticed three large bites in a triangle on my waist. The bed was taken out, the floors were steamed and I applied spray around the floor, especially in the cracks where the baseboards meet the wall. I bought a new mattress for him and encasements for all mattresses in the house. Fast-forward to now, I occasionally see bites on the children and have bites myself. I don't know if I am being paranoid or not, as they are outside an awful lot and we have many mosquitoes. I have looked for other signs but haven't really seen any. No bugs, no skin casts. I sometimes see black flecks but they are hard and do not smear. I called a K-9 fellow who was very kind and helpful. He told me that after three months I should definitely find evidence if I took apart the beds and did a good search. Yesterday and today I intensely cleaned out all the rooms. I looked in cracks and at the baseboards with a flashlight, took apart all the beds and inspected them minutely with a flashlight, checked in curtains and behind picture frames on walls. Cleaned out bookshelves and closets and clothing bureaus. I found a few carpet beetles, some beetle cast skins , and some spiders. Is it possible it is spiders? We do seem to have a lot of spiders. I did find a couple of small black dots that smeared a sort of rust color. They were right near the radiator, though so it could be rusty water spitting from there. Wouldn't I have more evidence than that after three months? It seems as though there would be something! I asked a PCO to come take a look a week after we brought in the used furniture. He said he saw no evidence, but that it would take longer than a week for an infestation to start. He also mentioned that he can't do anything until there is more evidence. What do you all think? What should I do now? Also, this morning I awoke with three large bites (the size of a pencil eraser) on my neck. They have a defined hole where there was a puncture. Do bed bugs leave puncture holes? Thank you so much for whatever advice you can give me. I am very eager to get to the bottom of this business!

2. ohdearie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Nov 8 2012 21:22:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, my husband would like to know if we will receive t-shirts, bumper stickers, or a flag for the top of the house now that we are official members of this forum group? I prefer not to advertise our troubles, but he takes a lighter view of things!

3. ohdearie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2012 15:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Bump. Anyone with tips? Should I wait till I find an actual bug before calling pest control again? How can I trap one? Any thoughts would be welcome.

4. edtt

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2012 16:43:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello Oh,
    So sorry that you and your family is experiencing this.
    First off, I am no expert, we had mystery bites for about a month about 5 months ago and it turned out to be fleas, thank goodness!
    they were very difficult to get rid of, not nearly as bad as bb's though.
    so, could it be fleas? you don't need to have an animal to have them either.
    how many bites in total for you and your kids?
    I have read on here that if there is more than 20 bites and no exidence, it is most likely not bb's.
    reason being that bb's will deficate after they have fed, they will usually do so close to thier harborage.
    after 3 months and bites i would think that you would have found evidence by now, just my opinion though.
    Until you have evidence, it could be anything, so bringing in another pco may not be necessary, but if it gives you peace of mind.
    bites reactions vary from person to person, so there is nothing diffinative there.
    perhaps an expert will chime in for you.
    Good luck and hope it resolves soon
    E

5. ohdearie

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 9 2012 20:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your kind response, E. I don't think it is fleas. I haven't seen any and I have searched all the bedrooms. With regard to the bites, I don't know exactly how many we have had. The boys wake up with a couple every day. They don't really get large and inflamed--well, not many of them do. They are usually small bites. But they do sometimes come in groups of two or three, and sometimes singly. Any professionals out there have an opinion? After three months of suspicious bites, what kind of evidence should I be seeing to confirm bedbugs?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,666 posts in 48,867 topics over 151 months by 21,454 of 21,857 members. Latest: frejohansen, Bedbugs47, Ccronk22@gmail.com