Looking for thoughts on an idea I had for BB removal

(3 posts)
  1. frick_off_bedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 15:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

There's been a bit of a bedbug issue in my house. I haven't yet seen any actual bugs or glaring evidence of an infestation in MY room and to my knowledge I have not been bit, however, in rooms near mine bugs, feces, and shells have popped up. I would very much like to avoid a severe infestation in my roo., as you could imagine. In researching bedbugs and their removal, I devised an idea for a system that I think could work, but I wanted to run it past people with more experience. Step 1 would include setting up lines of insecticide at the points of entry, ideally trapping the bugs in the room. For Step 2 I would then fashion a trap. I'd make it out of a plastic bottle, cutting it in half, covering the outside and the brim with paper towel for the bugs to grip as they enter, but not on the inside, so they cannot get out. The trap would be filled with a CO2-emitting yeast/sugar/water solution to lure the bugs in. This trap would be left probably on my bed, perhaps multiple traps in multiple locations would be used. The third and final step, I stop sleeping in the room and resort to an air mattress in a different room for a few weeks. In theory, the lure would be the sole source of the CO2 that the bugs are attracted to, drawing them in and containing them. With the lines of poison at the door and closet, they have nowhere else to go for a late-night snack. Every day I dump rubbing alcohol in to the traps, empty them, and replace the lure for the next night. I'm not sure if this would actually be effective to any extent, but as I've got it all worked out in my head it sounds good. Depending on the results, I'd apply the regimen to the other rooms and with any luck the issue would be eradicated.

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jul 9 2018 16:44:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like a very elaborate failure.

3. Mollygee23

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Wed Jul 11 2018 6:49:24
    #

Login to Send PM

I've tried that trap with the yeast plus not sleeping in the room. Did not work. Do not recommend. I think you need real insecticides, vut as long as the house/dorm/building you live in remains infested, I think you are risking becoming infested. Also, apparently a large percentage of people don't react to the bites, so are you sure you are not being bitten? Can you and your roomates get together on a plan for treating the whole house/building?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,375 posts in 46,780 topics over 142 months by 20,642 of 21,536 members. Latest: dhoomkethu619, Sybert224, Cannotdeal