Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Looking for some reassurance... Mosquito or bb bites?

(3 posts)
  1. Harry2010

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 9:26:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I know bites are no way to determine whether bed bugs are present, but I still need to ask for some words of wisdom. I live in Boston but have been traveling for ten days visiting family around the country. In the past two days, I have been finding a good amount of bites (probably eight total) around my body, one on my foot, five spread out on my back, one on my arm, one on my upper thigh, one on foot. All single bites. I was staying with family in the country and spent a good deal of time outside at night, so it's totally possible I was bitten by mosquitoes. But these bites are showing up days after time spent outside - I found a couple new ones this morning and I didn't spend time outside last night. Is it possible for mosquito bites to show up later?

It just doesn't make sense for it to be bed bugs... I think I would have had to get them from the plane and been bitten this many times just in a few days in different homes. It seems like it would take longer for an infestation to take hold - am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 13:18:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know if mosquito bites can show up days later, but bed bug bites definitely can. You could have been bitten anywhere and should not assume -- even if they
    are bed bugs-- that you brought any home.

I think you should monitor for signs of bed bugs. Here are some
    images to help familiarize you with bed bugs and signs of bed bugs and help you learn what to look for.

Also, an inexpensive passive monitor, such as BBAlert Passive which is described here, might help.

Note that while I think this will help give you peace of mind I also think EVERYONE should learn what to look for and monitor on an ongoing basis, raise early detection helps make treatment much easier and quicker and cheaper.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Koebner

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Jul 10 2012 13:39:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoooee, where to start?

You could have been bitten a lot in once location but your bites are showing up over several days, depending on how sensitive your skin & environmental factors.

You've been travelling; you'll have increased the variety of non-BB biting things to which you may have been exposed. You could have been be a meal for many different varmints at several locations.

You could have been exposed to a novel allergen other than bites, it could be an entirely different skin problem like raindrop psoriasis (I'm saying "like" - lots of skin problems can be characterised by multiple small lesions.)

You could have picked up fleas or BBs & somehow carted them around (this is one of the less likely possibilities)

I'd suggest you sit down with a mug of tea & the FAQs on this site. They'll help you know what to look for & how to conduct a methodical inspection (haphazard BB searches are unlikely to suceed & may help to diffuse an infestation around a room or dwelling).

For now, I'd go for carefully inspecting baggage from your trip, hot laundering/ drying the clothes you took, inspecting your bedroom for BBs & then, assuming you find nothing of concern; settling back to monitor the situation.

If we all did simple regular checks, all BB infestations could be quickly eradicated by virtue of being caught early.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,703 posts in 49,532 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,143 members. Latest: shawnpayne1982, JaphaSundog, Missdebra2323