(2 posts)
  1. chicago1994

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Fri Aug 10 2018 9:53:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all,

On July 17th, I saw one bed bug (not a full adult) crawling on the floor near the entrance of our apartment. I killed it, and an exterminator came a week later and did perimeter sprays in my apartment as well as the apartments next door and below. I've always taken precautions against these things (I've had mattress encasements and climbups with DE on the bed and couch since we moved here over a year ago). All of our fabrics, clothes, and linens have been put in plastic bags. I've been inspecting regularly and I had a pest control person come to do another inspection of our apartment just 3 days ago, and he said everything looks fine. Myself and my roommate have not had any bites. We haven't seen any bugs or signs of bugs since July 17th, but I'm still worried.

We're supposed to move out of this apartment this weekend. I'm a teacher, and I have a ton of children's books, young adult chapter books, as well as teaching content books for my use on a bookshelf in the bedroom. I can't get rid of these--they're so expensive! I've been going through each book, page by page (even when the book literally has 800 pages in it) to check for any bugs before packing them away, but I'm still worried. Do you think I have anything to be worried about?

I know I might be super paranoid. But I DO NOT want to bring these things with me to my new apartment if they're hiding somewhere. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any and all help

2. bbdontcry

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Aug 13 2018 4:37:11
    #

Login to Send PM

I’m sure you’re planning on putting most things in the dryer before you move. For stuff that can’t be dried, if you can get a packtite, that’s probably your best bet. Otherwise, you could bake them in the oven at a temp high enough to kill any stowaways but low enough that it won’t hurt the books. I’ve seen 140 degrees for enough hours to get the internal temperature to 125 mentioned in other posts. Do some googling before you bake though. My family had success with this tactic after a run in with bed bugs. Just make sure to store them in a clean, bug proof bag or container afterwards.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,452 posts in 46,581 topics over 142 months by 20,545 of 21,411 members. Latest: PrismArc, unclejohn, WheelBugger