Looking for Advice on Situation and CurrentPlan of Action

(6 posts)
  1. bedbugsinbrooklynfreakin

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 14:49:02
    #

Login to Send PM

{There's a lot I have to say--if it's too much please just skip to the end to see what my plan of action is and tell me if it's bug-proof.}

So the context is: I live in a super crappy building in a super crappy neighborhood. We moved in this past April, and it's been hell with every issue. I already spent a few hundred dollars to have all of my clothes laundered because it turned out the closet was infested with moths. The management company is hard to get a hold of and rude/ineffectual when I do get them for all problems ranging from
    1. a literal hole in the roof upon moving in
    2. dried blood all over the hallways one morning after what appeared to have been a violent altercation right outside our apartment door
    3. easily fixed buzzer broken for months

My roommate found a bed bug nymph in her bed Friday morning. We stripped the bed and found fecal stains. She'd been getting bites for about a week.

Though I called my management company during their office hours several times they did not pick up and they do not have an answering machine.

I went ahead and looked up PCOs in the city and called two of the top companies known for being good and green. One of the companies had me email pictures of the caught bug to them and confirmed that it is a bed bug nymph. They also quoted me $2000 and said they'd need to talk to the property manager about other apartments.

Having hit that dead end I started searching my bed and found no evidence (fecal stains, skins) of bed bugs. Just as I was calming down and searching Amazon for DE, my cat started chasing something next to me on the bed (I've been sick in bed for the past few days). It was an engorged adult bed bug.

Is it possible for only one adult to have made it into my room? For the past month or so I've been getting strange bites, but they were occurring once or or twice a week and would only be one bite that was very large, hard, painful, itchy and took a while to go away. I guess that could just be an allergic reaction to bed bug bites, but after finding the engorged bug on my bed I had no bites.

PLAN OF ACTION:
    Because I doubt my shitty management company is going to get a real professional to exterminate, and I doubt any efforts will be successful if the whole giant, old building is infested I want to cut and run.

I'm going to throw lots of stuff away, pack up what's important, and put it in one of those vans to have Vikane fumigated.

I will be Vikane-ing books, pre-laundered clothes, laptops, cell phones, stereo, hard drives, TV, PS3, Wii, makeup, toiletries, antique hard wood furniture, lamps, paintings, framed art, paint supplies, plates, bowls, shoes (including leather and cloth shoes), important paperwork, jewelry.

I don't know if I should fumigate my mattress+boxsprings or let it go. Also a fancy wooden futon's cushion...don't know. I'm throwing away all bedding+pillows for psychological soundness.

The only things that won't be in that van will be me, my boyfriend, our cats, our rabbit, and our houseplants.
    I'm going to order new pet carriers for all the animals and brush them thouroughly before puting them in. Then I'm going to have friends house them briefly.
    I'll sprinkle the house plants with DE and spray them down with rubbing alcohol. Actually I could use more advice here. I love my plants, but if it's a real risk I'll toss them.
    I'm going to have the same friends pick up my boyfriend and I a new set of clothes. After dropping off the truck to be fumigated my boyfriend and I will meet with friends, strip outdoors, bag clothes for laundering, and put on new clothes.

Then we will be going to a new apartment/boyfriends parents till we find a new apartment.

Is this as fool-proof as it gets? Will all my things be non-toxic after Vikane? Please tell me yes.

2. Disgusted2

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 16:39:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw bed bugs hiding in the potting soil of a houseplant, and I promptly dumped the houseplant in the garbage can. DE would get wet when you watered the houseplant. Alcohol might kill the plant anyways.

As for pets, you've got to get them up off the ground, and make sure what they end up sleeping on can be protected from bed bugs.

I got a raised dog bed with legs, so I could put the legs down into little plastic cups filled with vegetable oil, to keep the bed bugs from getting to our dog.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 17:59:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Any chance of posting an image to confirm yet as some of what you are saying does not align with bedbug behaviour and without confirming you might not be dealing with the issue correctly.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  4. bedbugsinbrooklynfreakin

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 18:51:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I agree, it seems like weird behavior from what I've read. The one that bit me (or my cat?) while I was awake in bed during the day was squished (though full of blood) but here are pictures of the "nymph" caught by my roommate.

http://imgur.com/PT8Nxjx,Eur4QLF

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 19:06:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Sorry I posted that to te wrong thread but yes the image confirms bedbugs.

I would strongly advise you to check all adjoining neighbours are clear from bedbugs before conducting a single application treatment such as Vikane or thermal as it will not work if they are the source.

David

6. bedbugsinbrooklynfreakin

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 16 2013 19:44:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I haven't spoken to any neighbors directly yet, but I know via 311 that there have been other bedbug complaints within the last year. For that reason, and the fact that the management company is very apathetic and will only do the legally required minimum--I'm going to move out and do a Vikane filled moving truck.

My questions are: Is there anything that will not be completely cured of bed bugs if put in a Vikane filled truck for 24 hours? Or anything that will be damaged?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,557 posts in 46,824 topics over 143 months by 20,659 of 21,556 members. Latest: DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs, gbbedbug