Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Long post- little venting with lots of question.

(11 posts)
  1. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat May 5 2018 15:56:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I have cried on and off for 3 days. I'm having major anxiety and quite a few panic attacks. I feel so completely overwhelmed. I am a single parent of an autistic 6 year old. I love my job, but don't make much. My ex husband who watches my son while I work is in jail for child support from a previous marriage. I have scrambled for sitting for my son and thank goodness for my wonderful friends and family. The last thing I needed was BED BUGS!!!

I recently found bed bugs in 3 locations in my home. To say I am devastated is an understatement. I freaked and sprayed cinnamon oil mixture everywhere then called my landlord. He called an exterminator. The exterminatores came out yeasterday and sprayed. They found bed bugs and eggs in my living room sofa, which was heavy, but not bad. In my room the exterminators were actually surprised and said was not bad at all. However my son's room was the worst. It's bad. He has been getting torn up for a while. I even took him to the doctor and he thought it was a viral rash. My son has had bites like this for over a month, but the exterminators said they've been here for a while. Autistic kids can be more sensative because of their sensory needs. I have been wondering why he has been more tired this last month and I feel like the crappiest parent ever. To top it off I am 99% sure they came from his dad. No I am not jist blaiming him. We are actually friends. But he had an issue with this about 6-7 months ago.

Its costing $300/room. My landlord asked me to split the cost and I am cause I feel like I should. The exterminators gave me some things to do like wash and dry bedding and dirty stuff and vaccume. Anything that is clean dry for 30 minutes minimum. I am drying everything for about 60 min to 90 min. They told me not to clean that the chemicals they sprayed last 28-30 days. I have some ocd issues and this is bugging (ha made a funny) me bad. I dont have a lot of clutter either. But I have lots of questions like what do I vaccume? Where? How? What's the best way to clean said vaccume after? They also told me I can move my son's toys back into his room after they treated. Also said as soon as I am done heating everything I can bring it back in and put it away. Which does concern me, but how they explained it was that if anything is hiding they'd like the bugs to come out and be exposed to the chemicals. They said bed bugs don't care much for plastic and heating clean items will kill off stuff. Another thing that bothers me is they don't garetntee their work. They do but only for a limited time. I am worried they or I will miss some. So what can I do to be more proactive in treatment? I am working on getting bed covers as soon as I can to help. Everything I toss I am double or triple bagging.

My other concern is I am worried about carrying them to work. I can't not work. My son has school and until this is handled I am not comfy with people in my house watching him. So what can I do not to spread this?

I know if I think about this in a rational way they are just bugs. They aren't dangerous. They are more of a nuisance. They can easily be killed and what makes them creepy is that they are good hiders and feed off of people. I have this "I can do it" attitude during the day, but as the sun sets that uneasy jumpy feeling settles in. As I read and reseach posts on this forum and things off goggle I wonder if I am fighting an uphill battle. Is all this hopeless? Can you really get rid of the bugs and be free of them? Or is this going to follow me? I work full time then some, I have a special needs child, and I'm doing this on my own. I do have good support system with the few I have told (not telling everyone), but I feel a bit lost. I feel embarrassed and ashamed. How long are you bug free before you can relax? How long will I have to be overly diligent? How long will it take them to die off? Sorry this is so long I have a lot bugging me. I'd appreciate any advice.

2. Bugsareicky

Posted 3 months ago
    Sat May 5 2018 20:36:05
    #

Login to Send PM

You two definitely don't need to miss work or school. Clean and dry your clothing the way your PCO described and pick up some XL ziplock bags (I found these at a few different grocery stores, they're pretty easy to come by) Keep some cleaned clothing in those to wear out to work/school. Keep your treated school bag/purse anything else you need to leave with in those bags as well. If your son goes back and forth to dads, you may want to suggest that he has his home inspected. Even if he's already treated, your son may have brought them over there again. As far as cleaning goes, follow your PCOs directions, ask him about the vacuuming and whatnot, he knows your situation much better than any of us could. Getting rid of them is definitely possible, and the fact that you have professional help and a decent landlord is awesome. Take a deep breath. It's going to be okay. Bedbugs are just creepy little mosquitoes without wings. You're no worse than any parent that has ever brought their child outside. It's easy to feel guilty when your kids are involved. (I have 2 myself) but realistically that's just silly. Anyone can get bedbugs. You can't solve a problem that you don't know about, and you dealt with the problem as soon as you knew. You're a good parent and your son is going to be just fine. Hang in there, it'll all be over soon.

3. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 11:16:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugsareicky thank you for your response and advice. I didn't think about xl zip lock bags to hold things in. I'll look into that soon to store some items in that have been treated and set aside. I know bed bugs don't like to travel on people, but in the stiff we carry. I know I have to be diligent, but I don't want to become so overly paranoid that I make mistakes. I laughed at the bed bugs are mosquitos without wings. That is a very true statment. If you shift your perspective to that way of thinking then bed bugs are not that scary only a pest. I finally got sleep last night so feeling more. Like a conqueror getting ready to battle the invading army! I will win. I think though cause of my ocd that I am going to make a cleaning/vacuuming schedule. As for my ex, my son doesn't go to his house. However when I talk to him again he'll have to be treated before he walk or brings anything in. Thank you again!

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 12:29:39
    #

Login to Send PM

LadyS: "I know bed bugs don't like to travel on people, but in the stiff we carry. "
    Actually since they could infest clothing that is left on infested furniture or baggage, they can travel on you or along with you. So the stuff is carried on you rather than in your arms or off your shoulders.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 15:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs well besides drying everything what else can I do? The exterminators said I could put everything back in drawers. Now I am wondering if I should.

6. UK1306

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 16:25:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi LadyS, I can't offer much advice as I've not been dealing with this for long. Please don't feel guilty about your son I had no reaction at all to the bites, I didn't know I had them until I found one on my bedside table. I've been drying clothes and putting them in zip lock bags which is giving me a bit of reassurance when I have to go to class or out of the house. I feel the same with you about the anxiety of the situation but we will get there and get through this it might not feel like it at times but we will and there's such amazing people on this forum to give advise and reassurance

7. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 17:23:15
    #

Login to Send PM

UK1306 I know we can handle this. It will take time. People on here and the few I have told have been wonderfully supportive. My best friend who is more like a sister to me watches my son on the weekend while I work. She is at my house now and she vaccumed the heck out of my son's room and partially put it back together. Both her and my son have super sensative skin (she got tore up last weekend, its how I found them). My son was horriably tore up, but I never thought bed bugs. Anyhow she didn't get any new bites and everything she vacccumed up did not even twitch. I know I am no where near out of the woods and will need to be sprayed again, but at least I know what they used worked. So that does bring some peace of mind. It's a small step but a start.

8. Pattycake

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 17:48:41
    #

Login to Send PM

You can search this forum for ways to clean your vacuum. New bag each time or boiling water in dust bin. Put your discarded bags and dirt in bags to toss. I boiled my attachments in a pot on the stove. Heck if that don’t kill them nothing will. Good luck. You can do it!

9. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 18:26:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you pattycake! I have a bagless vaccume and my sister is still vaccumeing. However when I get home I plan on boiling some pots of water to clean thr container and filter then boil the hose and attchements!

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 months ago
    Mon May 7 2018 10:22:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry you’re dealing with all that.

Many of us choose to keep clean, dried clothing sealed (in ziplocks or airtight containers) during treatment. This helps to avoid the spread and means you won’t have to treat clothing again, if the PCO has had you do that once. The FAQs cover this and other tips (click link to FAQs at top of page).

I understand you chose to split the cost with the landlord but keep in mind that in many places, landlords are responsible for paying for treatment costs. You’d have to check the laws where you live.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. LadyS

newbite

Posted 3 months ago
    Tue May 8 2018 10:23:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I don't have any air tight containers or anything sealable besides garbage bags. I have already tapped out my very limited resources. My PCO said after I treated it all I could put ot all back. I am not. Clothing that my son and I don't need is beong dryed for an average of 60 to 90 min then put in clean garbage bags and stored in my basement. Stuff we do need is also dryed put in bags and brought up stairs. I live in Tennessee so the laws herr are sketchy on who is responsible for paying for the extermination costs. I am splitting the cost because one he asked, and two I feel so guilty. My ex may have been the one to expose me to them or the new furniture that I bought (that I am still paying on) may have introduced them. The PCOs said they couldn't tell, but they have been here for a while and could have been here before. I have been here barely a year. I have a lot of worries about what if this doesn't work. Also I don't have much confidence in my PCO and have expressed some of my concerns to my landlord. I am almost thinking my PCO issues needs to be a different thread.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

277,552 posts in 45,813 topics over 139 months by 20,174 of 20,973 members. Latest: busbugs, jklyczek, Thisguy97