(4 posts)
  1. Sinistro

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 6:50:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello again guys,

So my girlfirend has been fighting bed bugs since mid October, she has had 5 treatments, gone through the process of freezing her things, done everything by the book. This is my third post asking questions regarding the problem, to be honest we are getting restless and really can't see an end to this...

She has had no signs (fecal stains, cast skins, blood streaks, live bugs) or bites since the end of November so things were looking good, we almost forgot about them. Last week she found two bites on her shoulder, again she found no signs other than the bites and she didn't find any bugs stuck on the sticky tape round her bed. So she called her pest control company anyway (last monday) and they sprayed her matress, walls and ceiling. (free of charge as she was still under contract guarantee)

Yesterday were where going through her things, and found a live adult hiding inside a hat that was in a handbag that came out the freezer almost three weeks ago. When disturbed the bug hardly moved, took a few steps but then stayed still. We killed it an kept it to show to her PCO who will be coming again tomorrow morning for an inspection and discuss on how to tackle the situation.

After finding this bug I've been asking myself what are the chances that the bug survived the freezer? The bug did seem pretty lifeless, or is it normal for them not to quickly scatter away when disturbed?

So either this bug somehow survived the freezer, meaning the bag wasn't in long enough? (FYI the bag was in the freezer at -18C for three days) or they are coming through the walls (neighbours) because I find it strange to find a live adult in her room as only a week ago the room was sprayed and no signs of a nest or cast skins or other bugs were found. So it's must be a new bug or a survivor from the freezer?

Even though this bug was found, she has had no more bites or found anything else since last week other than this one bug.

I'm not looking for a solution or expect an ansewer to all my problems, I would like to have some input from someone else and see what you guys make of it.

Thanks again

Sinistro

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 17:38:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sinistro,

I'm sorry you and your girlfriend are having to deal with bed bugs!

Regarding the freezer and bed bug question . . .

I know I have read on the forum that freezing items to kill bed bugs is not the best option. Bed bugs can survive freezing a lot better than they can heat. I believe I have even read that some bed bugs appear dead after freezing and then "wake up."

However, I *think* I have also read that freezing can be done but it's at very cold temperatures for a long period of time (and I *think* not in a normal freezer but in a deep freezer type thing).

I know some of the experts have done tests on freezing so I will leave it to them to fill in the details and let you know what you would actually need to do if you are wanting to freeze items . . . . or if they believe freezing works.

With that being said . . . heat is better at killing bed bugs!

Good luck to you and your girlfriend and hopefully a Pro will provide you with some information shortly.

3. ITortureBugs4Revenge

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Jan 13 2014 19:58:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I have heard that bed bugs are capable of surviving freezing temperatures as long as the temperature does not get too much below 32F, but since i never captured any bed bugs in a jar to experiment with freezing them i don't really know how it would work. My best guess is freezing infested items would work pretty well, as unlike outdoor insect species which safely hibernate through the winter by finding areas deep in rock crevices or underground where sub freezing temperatures can't penetrate bugs trapped in a home freezer would have no such luck and would freeze to death in short order. Just be sure to keep the items in the freezer for at least several days before removing them.

.....I am NOT an expert.....

Any advice i give here is based solely on my own personal experiences in dealing with bedbugs & other household vermin.
  4. Sinistro

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Jan 23 2014 4:26:50
    #

Login to Send PM

***UPDATE***

Hi guys,

First of all thanks for your replies.

So the PCO came on Monday (January 20th) Sprayed my girlfriend's room, furniture, mattress, etc...
    She lives in a shared flat, the other two flatmates rooms show no sign of bed bugs, and they have no bites, the PCO quickly checked the other rooms and saw no problems.
    We bagged all her stuff (again!) and placed them in another room. Some of the bags had been already treated, and she was in the process of freezing the rest (again!). All that was left in her room was her bed and bare furniture. Her bed is a metal frame and the feet are placed in plastic tubs filled with (something) to catch any bugs.
    Yesterday, she had a small new bite and she found two adults in a separate CO2 trap the PCO left under the bed. These new bugs must be coming from one of the neighbouring units, or from within the walls at least. I would of thought that if any bugs were to be found that it would be nymphs, that would of hatched after the room had been sprayed. Even so the bugs would of had to walk across the floor to get to the trap, shouldn't the freshly laid pesticide on the floor kill them?
    Anyway that's a total of six treatments, so we have given up and she is going to move out. Another PCO company (the one I used after I found some in my flat) is taking all her stuff today and placing it in an industrial freezer for four days, then straight from the freezer she will be placing her stuff at her parents and move back in with them for a little while. I told her to just forget her furniture, these last 6 months have been so stressful that she should avoid any risks of taking anything with her. She has spoken with the her neighbours that live above and below her, both said that they don't have bed bugs. So we decided that getting out of that place was the best option, taking every precaution not to spread them. Hopefully our fight ends here. We tried our best but the beasts just keep coming.

It's funny that nobody quite understands the stress of having bed bugs, it's hard to comprehend the terror until you have lived through it yourself. When I found bed bugs at my flat, which I'm guessing she gave me, it was one of worst two weeks of my life. But the company I hired got the job done and I haven't seen anything since the end of November.

Anyways, my thoughts go out to all of you on this forum that are going through hell on earth. Best of luck to you all!!!

Kind regards,

Sinistro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams