Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

lone bed bug?

(8 posts)
  1. pgwagner

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 10 2007 10:33:00
    #

Login to Send PM

We recently moved into a new apt (2 weeks ago). yesterday evening, we discovered a mature-size bug, alive on one pillow on the bed. It did not have blood in it when killed (I have kept the bug - taped to a notecard - looks just like the illustration, round, flat, about 1/8 in.). A fresh bag of laundry was opened that morning on the bed (it was dropped off and picked up). Is it possible that this was a lone bug? maybe from the Laundromat? We have had no previous sightings nor evidence of bedbugs - bites, stains, etc. Any theories? what should we look out for? Please advise on precautionary steps. thanks.

2. coopbugged

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 10 2007 10:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Could be a lone bug that hitched a ride from the laundromat. I'd strip the bedding and wash/dry on hot, re-wash those clothes (ditch the laundry bag), and put your mattress in a mite-proof dust cover with tape over the zipper.

But since you just moved in 2 weeks ago, it somehow seems more likely that your place had some bed bugs there already. If I were you I'd call a PCO to treat before you get too settled in (in addition to the precautions described above).

3. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 10 2007 10:47:02
    #

Login to Send PM

hello Wagner: read the bed bug FAQS on this site (seems you already have) and check the bed relentlessly for signs and check yourselves for bites relentlessly too ... it is possible that it is/was a lone bug ... the heat attracts them ... but usually where there is one there are many more--not always but this seems to be true more often than not.
    My concern is that it had no blood in it. This would mean it was a hungry bug, if it was a bed bug, so ... during the next five to 10 days it is especially imperative that you check for bed bug bites. The other signs usually build up after an infestation is already well underway.
    I say this because all too many people I fear tend to relax too quickly when they report back " I've seen no poppy seed like pooh, no blood streaks on the bedding ... etc ...
    I saw 8 or 10--BEFORE I REALIZED (or came out of a deep denial) that they were in my room. This was over the course of about three or four days ... All told there were 300 + all over the place (mostly on the mattress and hiding in my clothing."
    So yes ... I'm saying double check the clothing --especially the newly washed items that the bug was on. Heck--I'd have them re-washed and I'd start doing my laundry by myself or having it done somewhere else.

4. willow-the-wisp

banned

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 10 2007 10:49:20
    #

Login to Send PM

also once a bed bug gets on a bed--it is like pullng teeth to get it off the bed. I hope that the laundry had just been placed there and that you DID get to only LONE bug.

5. S

Bite Researcher

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 10 2007 11:46:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Pgwagner,

It may have come from the laundromat, or from your building, or from the moving van, or from the subway, or from...

The point is, you'll never know. You can take some steps to determine if bedbugs are in the other units in the building - try asking your neighbors if the building's had "bugs" and see what they say - or talk to your landlord about it.

But either way, you found a bug, so you need to deal with that fact. Yes, it could have been a lone bug and you may have nipped the problem in the bud right now. Either way, glad you caught this one so it's not able to spread and breed.

However, the chances are good that there are more. And really, it almost doesn't matter where they originally came from.

The main thing I would do is an inspection. Since you just moved, you (probably) don't have everything all unpacked and settled yet? If so, that would be good. You want to inspect - starting with your bed, and moving outwards to the rest of your bedroom. You *might* check the rest of the house too, but the bed and bedroom are the most likely places so make them your first goal.

If you've read the bedbugger FAQs you probably know a little about how to do this and what to look for. I'd encourage you to also watch the video in the blog's far right sidebar, entitled "CBC's wonderful in-depth segment on bed bugs." It shows the reporter and an entomologist inspecting hotel rooms for bedbugs, and is one of the best pieces of educated journalism I've seen on the subject.

But right now, your first goal is personal education (especially the FAQs) and your second goal is inspection. You could look everywhere, in every single corner of your stuff, and find nothing - and still have bedbugs. But I think that if you look everywhere and find nothing, then hey, at least it's not a serious infestation and you can probably relax a little. Of course, if you find any more, you will definitely want to call a PCO (pest control operator, ie exterminator).

If you'd like to be most precautious, if you can afford it, what I'd personally do is call in a PCO now. (But that's just me - you should make up your own mind about what you want to commit to at this point). If you show them the single bedbug you found, that should be enough evidence for them to at least inspect, if not treat. Plus, some PCOs offer a free inspection. If you find someone experienced in bedbugs (read the FAQ on how to choose a PCO), they might be able to do a better inspection job than you alone.

So whether you hire someone to inspect, or you do it yourself, I think you should get this process started. Glad you found us - and the longer you wait, the worse it could get.

Good luck!!

6. pgwagner

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu May 10 2007 18:09:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the tips! will try those and wait and see.

7. lieutenantdan

oldtimer

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri May 11 2007 9:45:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello all,

Are you aware that Cooper Pest has developed what is called a bed bug proof mattress encasement?
    I placed my order yesterday. You can search Cooper Pest for site and info. The product is new, it has been out for two months.

8. pgwagner

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri May 11 2007 14:26:44
    #

Login to Send PM

well, our LandLord has admitted to some apts in our building (in 2 units, one floor below us) having problems in the past! I found one other dead bug under bed - still no other signs - fearing the worst. we just moved in 2 weeks ago - the LL seems cooperative so far and we will be having a PCO come next week or week after. he "said" they plan to spray the whole building. anything we can do to insure this? any other steps to take or sugestions to LL besides the above posts and the FAQs? ALSO - what concerns should we have about pets? - we have a cat.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081