LL doesn't seem to want to treat if it's "just a few"

(11 posts)
  1. Scritch

Acct closed: now skritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 20:47:42
    #

Login to Send PM

My landlord was extremely cooperative the first time around, but now he seems to be dragging his heels and has mentioned more than once that it's silly to exterminate for just a few. But unless they're all the same sex, won't it just turn into another infestation?
    His exterminator apparently also told him that because I have a small one bedroom apt., I should be able to take care of them. I can't use the spray they gave me anymore because the smell builds up and it's sickening, so I've been steaming and vacuuming every day. (I'm in love with my steamer. It makes me feeling like I'm DOING something about the situation.) Can a tenant really get rid of the bugs by themselves with just a vacuum and a steamer? and, of course, laundry laundry laundry.

2. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 23:36:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Where are you located ?

3. Scritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 23:39:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Queens Ny

4. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 23:47:40
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, so let's ask some multiple choice questions, choose the best answers possible:

1. If the resident vacates, who then "owns" the bed bugs remaining in the unit?

a. the city bed bug control program

b. the county health department

c. the resident

d. the landlord

2. If bed bugs are present within a multi-family building who is at risk?

a. Only the resident in the infested unit.

b. Only the landlord.

c. Only those units directly adjacent to the infested unit.

d. The residents of the adjacent units, the landlord, the facility staff and, given time, the entire facility.

Have a nice day ! paul b.

5. Scritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Jul 5 2012 23:50:09
    #

Login to Send PM

If only there was a city bed bug control problem. I think Toronto has one.

6. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 0:10:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you contacted any "official entitites" (i.e. the Health Department or other agency) other than your LL for assistance and advice with this situation?

There are others here who have prior experience with situations in Queens, NY who may advise you soon.

If the bed bugs entered your apartment from a neighboring unit then the situation is such that your LL needs to help you. In either case, the LL is supposed to provide a habitable and pest free dwelling.

Hope this helps ! paul b.

7. Scritch

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 0:16:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I've spoken with 311 and know I can lodge an official complaint if I want to. I'd really like to give my landlord a chance to come through again - this is the only bldg he owns and I'd hate to see him getting slapped with penalties. He's generally a very good landlord. He jumped right on it last time. Also, from what I understand, if I lodge a complaint, I go on a kind of landlord watch list and may have trouble getting another apartment.
    Does Queens have a particular problem? I lived here for a while before the bugs showed up.

8. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 0:24:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Perhaps, but I get calls and contacts regarding bed bugs from all over the country including from the Metro NY area.

Perhaps you need to educate yourself on what you can do to help yourself as well.

pb

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 5:53:31
    #

Login to Send PM

If you have BB evidence (not just bites), the landlord is not in a position to determine if you have "just a few" or if you have what will become an out-of-control infestation. It's a bad sign if he's playing a delay game with you. He's gotta act and so do you.

I understand the issue of getting blacklisted as a tenant. Met Council on Housing writes about it. (It seems that companies resell the names of tenants who are parties to suits in Housing Court.) So, try and keep this from going to court.

Collect any evidence you can find (bugs, shells, fecal traces) and log all correspondence.

Here's a great guide from our Resources page that tells you what you and your landlord need to know to keep BB under control.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  10. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 10:02:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm backing up what Cilecto is saying. I'm a resident of Astoria. Housing will insvestigate and it takes a couple of months before it reaches the level of going to Court. As far as the blacklist goes, it's not small LLs like this guy you usually have a problem with; it's the larger companies. Even if you're blacklisted, you'll find an apartment.

You need to have a live sample. If you do, call and file the complaint. He needs to treat even if it's a single bug. He is required by NYC Housing law to treat even if it's a single insect. The Courts accept a reasonable standard of "if you have one bug, you likely have more." They do not hit with fines right away. The city only fines the LL if he does not follow the recommendation to treat.

I have a friend with city housing and discussed this with her during my infestation. You must fight for your rights/good health if your LL is not stepping up to the plate.

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri Jul 6 2012 12:28:32
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like you've given him several chances already and he's trying to shirk responsibility.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,432 posts in 50,192 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams