Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

LL claims I "will be ostracized" if I ask neighbors if they're infested

(16 posts)
  1. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 23:22:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Taken from a letter I'm sending to Public Health via email tomorrow (they won't see it until Tuesday unfortunately, as Monday is Labor Day):

I suggested to my landlord that he should have the adjoining apartments checked out because I do not believe the infestation started with me, and he claims I "will be ostracized" (saying "you'd do well to note that word") if I ask anyone. This was after a false fire alarm in the building next door and I had managed to nab him as he came back inside.

I am doing my part in preparing my unit, but my mother isn't and that, along with my landlord refusing to check other units because he says there haven't been any reports of bedbugs (note: not everyone responds to bedbug bites with allergies like I have, thus, they may not know of harboring them) could mean a reinfestation for me.

I don't think he realizes other tenants might be ashamed of having them (as am I, though I realize it isn't my fault, my landlord is making it seem that way which only stresses me out more) or may not notice at all---I would not have noticed had I not begun finding welts on my arms and legs. My doctor suggested it was bed bugs and only after hours on a forum for bed bug sufferers and going through many pest control websites did I realize what the bugs were that I had found (not only in my kitchen (twice, at first) and once in my bedroom) were.

I'm planning on having everything done by the middle of this coming week, and hopefully treatment can begin soon. Is there anything that can be done so that my landlord is further educated in bed bug treatment so that he might check other units, whether or not they have made complaints? I live on disability and all of the laundering and buying things to help with the issue (ziploc and garbage bags to seal my posessions in, the laundry and laundry detergent, drycleaning) is taking my entire cheque. I won't have groceries this month so on top of barely being able to sleep and becoming sick from stress, I'm not eating, either. I cannot afford to do this a second, third, fourth time or however long it persists because he refuses to see if anyone else has them.

-----------------

I cannot believe my landlord is so callous. He's been acting as if it's my fault and I'm some big f-ing burden. Okay, you know, I get that I might not seem like a model tenant. I'm bipolar, I've extreme OCD (before this) and that, coupled with my mother's blatant alcoholism (that I'm sure, everyone in the building knows about) is leading him to be assholish to me. Him and his wife (who acts as second ll I'm guessing) suddenly treat me like I'm more trouble than I'm worth and it just starts the crying all over again. I've spent the entire last few days bagging my posessions and ziplocing and crying while doing so. I'm already ashamed and humiliated, and on top of that, it's as if my support system is nil. I want to give up before I've even started, because of him and his inability to do his f-ing job right.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 23:41:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear this, Ghost. He's a jerk. To many people think they can solve their BB problem with water from a river in Egypt. Yes, some people may pin this on you, especially if the LL spreads the word. Still, you're bravely doing the right thing.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Sep 5 2009 23:44:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Honestly, I get enough crap about being the daughter of an alcoholic (who's everyone's 'friend' if you get my drift) and enough dealing with the gossip following two of my building's biggest gossiper's "catching" me going into a psych hospital we have here (where my doctor happens to be for my treatment for OCD, tyvm) -- I could care less what they think. Except I've a feeling the landlord would also be the type to find a way to kick me out--he knows full well I would be going straight into a shelter if that happened.

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2009 0:04:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang in there, Ms Ghost. Come through this and you'll take sh-- from no one going forward. Check for a response on the other thread you posted on.

5. depressedandconfused

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2009 1:13:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Ghostbitten,

Just a though, maybe you could post some anonymous signs with bed bug information in the lobby or in the elevator, or just slip something under people's doors. The note could urge people to contact the landlord, if they suspect they have BBs.

It sounds like you are going through a lot right now. You may already know about this resource, but I thought it was worth mentioning: NAMI-NYC Metro runs a variety of support groups for individuals with OCD, Bipolar Disorder and friends and family members of those with mental illness. They also have a helpline which may be able to help you connect with additional services and agencies that can help you, for example, a social worker that could get you additional help with the cost of food and/or pest control. The helpline is 212.684.3264 and their website address is http://www.naminycmetro.org. I do not work for them, but they are a great organization.

6. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Sep 6 2009 12:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

depressedandconfused - 10 hours ago  » 
    Ghostbitten,
    Just a though, maybe you could post some anonymous signs with bed bug information in the lobby or in the elevator, or just slip something under people's doors. The note could urge people to contact the landlord, if they suspect they have BBs.
    It sounds like you are going through a lot right now. You may already know about this resource, but I thought it was worth mentioning: NAMI-NYC Metro runs a variety of support groups for individuals with OCD, Bipolar Disorder and friends and family members of those with mental illness. They also have a helpline which may be able to help you connect with additional services and agencies that can help you, for example, a social worker that could get you additional help with the cost of food and/or pest control. The helpline is 212.684.3264 and their website address is http://www.naminycmetro.org. I do not work for them, but they are a great organization.

I live in Canada, actually, but I'm going to talk to Public Health tomorrow or Tuesday (Monday is labor day I believe) and see what I can do about this---perhaps my disability worker can help, I'm not sure.

I do see a p-doc already for BPD/OCD but she's on vacation again. ><

7. bugoff_1

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Wed Sep 9 2009 23:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry to hear what you're going thru ghostbittten. I recently moved as a result of my LL not renewing my lease due to bb infestation. For 8 months he continued to blame me and each time insisted I was the only one who had this bug problem. Just 3 weeks before I moved, I finally got a chance to talk to my next door neighbor (apt complex) who told me they had had BB's for over a year! The LL had been giving her foggers to use, which ultimately spread them into my apt. I began knocking on doors, talking to more neighbors and was soon after confronted and yelled at by my LL for "harassing his tenants"! I now wish I had called the police on him for such abusive behavior. So don't believe you are the only one. I am now in search of an atty who will represent me regarding LL retaliation and for the cost of everything I lost.

Also, you may want to call a City Building Inspector. Sometimes they can get things moving and LL's usually take them quite seriously as they can be fined for not complying.

8. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 0:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

they're actually treating my apt tomorrow. im going to grill the pco before he does anything and i hope to god he doesn't screw around.

i just dont know if my pc needs to be covered or what not. so im going to bag everything and move it into the bathroom (tower) and take my monitor and speakers down the hall to my grandmother's apt (we live in the same building, same floor, fml XD) since they never said if electronics need to be moved or not.

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 5:47:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I think that you should leave your stuff in place. If you happen to have bugs in the gear, they'll come out to feed post-treatment, cross poison and die. If you take them to grandma's you risk infestting her place. Put them in the bathroom and you risk infesting that room. Good luck.

10. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 6:10:37
    #

Login to Send PM

cilecto - 21 minutes ago  » 
    I think that you should leave your stuff in place. If you happen to have bugs in the gear, they'll come out to feed post-treatment, cross poison and die. If you take them to grandma's you risk infestting her place. Put them in the bathroom and you risk infesting that room. Good luck.

ive thoroughly checked through my pc equip and im not about to leave a 300$ monitor, a tower with over 900$ and my 120$ speakers in my bedroom with a vindictive ll. if they say i can leave them, i will, otherwise? im not risking my electronics, if they've been fine-tooth-combed. no one's telling me what sort of treatment is going on, so i wasn't advised ot leave them or move them.

11. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 9:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing that would damage (potentially) your speakers and/or PC in terms of treatment would be thermal treatment, which isn't available in your part of Canada. There is nothing about the pesticides used that would damage a CPU or speakers.

If the PCOs are using steam, that might be an issue, but I don't know any PCOs who would treat those items with steam.

Since eggs and nymphs can be very, very small and quite well-hidden, not leaving those items in your apartment can mean a longer battle with the bed bugs if any bugs are harboring inside either item.

While electronics are not generally the first choice of bed bugs as harborages, bed bugs can and do harbor inside electronic items.

I wouldn't be afraid of the chemical pesticides or any of the dusts damaging the computer and/or the speakers. I've never once heard of such a thing during bed bug treatment--and I should know. I had several electronic items damaged during thermal treatment.

12. ghostbitten

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 9:56:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm thinking, I'll ask if it needs to be unplugged but for the most part, I pulled my desk out like asked and will just leave things as they are. :3

13. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 21:24:51
    #

Login to Send PM

ghostbitten - 11 hours ago  » 
    I'm thinking, I'll ask if it needs to be unplugged but for the most part, I pulled my desk out like asked and will just leave things as they are. :3

I would unplug.
    a. Some PCOs remove outlet covers and treat inside the walls (you should be so fortunate)
    b. less things for them to have to handle, less risk of PCO tripping over cord and sending your gear flying.

If you do take your stuff offsite, it needs to be securely sealed, so as not to infest where it's going (in case it is infested).

Please let us know how it went. And don't be discouraged if you don't see results immediately. It takes time under the best circumstances. In your compromised situation (e.g., mom, neighbors, friends coming & going), you might need to re-treat. It's not a failure on your part.

14. depressedandconfused

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Thu Sep 10 2009 23:00:36
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO recommended putting some plastic over the top of them, but leaving the sides open. This way the electronics will be open to the pesticides but will not be directly sprayed.

15. I AM DYING

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 24 2012 14:00:15
    #

Login to Send PM

CILECTO, ANYWAY YOU CAN GIVE ME A PRIVATE CALL. I REALLY NEED HELP.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Aug 24 2012 15:35:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I AM DYING - 1 hour ago  » 
    CILECTO, ANYWAY YOU CAN GIVE ME A PRIVATE CALL. I REALLY NEED HELP.

Hi I am dying,

I have sent you an email which explains why I am closing this thread.

If you are in danger of harming yourself, please seek immediate medical attention. Go to an Emergency Room (Casualty) if you have no other options. There are some resources in this post which may be helpful.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,427 posts in 49,259 topics over 152 months by 21,590 of 22,013 members. Latest: Ddukes, acidburn, metropest