Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Introductions

Living inside mattress??

(5 posts)
  1. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 10:40:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi. My place got inspected about a month ago after I noticed some bumps and very small rusty spots on my sheets, the pest management tech didn't see anything conclusive. My bumps never itch, they don't swell up much so I'm not sure if it's acne on my back and chest. Two times, I did get bumps on my neck that swelled up and even hurt some.

My hands to get very dry in the winter and sometimes do bleed some, so that could be the cause of the blood stains.

My main question is, do bed bugs sometimes live inside the mattress itself? Mine is a unique mattress that looks like the one in the pic I attached. There are small, I guess what you would call buttons, that are attached. So there is a small area bugs could use to crawl inside the mattress.

I also definitely have carpet beetles but my skin reactions don't look like the skin reactions I've seen related to carpet beetles.

Thank you!!

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 11:14:37
    #

Login to Send PM

rainman -  » 
    My main question is, do bed bugs sometimes live inside the mattress itself?

Read these threads (I thought they were pretty informational), but I think the short answer is, it could happen, but there has to be a way for them to get in because they can't chew their way into a mattress:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/can-bugs-be-active-after-a-few-months

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/can-bed-bugs-live-on-top-of-a-mattress

3. rainman

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 12:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you!

There are small holes, I guess the easiest way I can describe it is, there's a button connected to a string. The string must anchor deep inside the mattress, so there is a small hole that the string goes through. The question is if that hole is big enough for bed bugs to go in and out of.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 12:54:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Unlikely; there are better, easier spots for them.

5. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Jan 23 2015 16:43:45
    #

Login to Send PM

@rainman,

I didn't say it was probable but possible . . . based on input from a couple of the experts/professionals.

If the mattress is making you worry, you could always get a mattress encasement for it . . . but that might be a bit premature as no evidence of bed bugs has even been found at this point . . . but on the other hand, some professioanl advise getting encasements before a bed bug problem exists for easier detection.

Let us know if you find out anything!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,194 posts in 50,136 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69