Likely Success

(10 posts)
  1. Lllo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 15:25:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I was going to wait another week to post but have been reading how upset people are who have light infestations. I want to let people know that it can end and sometimes quite quickly.
    We discovered we had bed bugs in early Nov. I had bites from late Sept. but despite tearing the house apart all we found were carpet beetles. We had a PCO come but he found nothing. I was convinced and we kept looking. Nov. 10 we found 2 tiny in stars on traps on my couch. We had our first treatment Nov 17. I had pretty much stopped sitting on that couch and was bite free for 2 weeks before the first treatment.
    My husband had vacuumed and steam cleaned our mattress and the couch before the treatment and before we found the instars.
    The treatment consisted of vacuuming, steaming and applying Dragnet. We did not empty drawers or closets but we did put clothes that had been out through the dryer on high. The PCO found 1 dead adult bed bug. 2 days after the treatment I got the mother of all bites but have not had any others. Our second treatment was Dec 1 and nothing was found. We did put encasements on the bed. Also 2 weeks after the last treatment, so around Dec. 15 we put BB Alert monitors on the bed and the couch. Both are clear.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 21:11:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations and thanks for writing a success story!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 21:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, im no expert and its nice to hear you had a very light infestation and dealt with it swiftly. However, don't let your guard down. Not trying to rain on your parade, cause by all means if you did defeat them you deserve the mother of all parades, but Ive read one to many times on here where people think theyre successful and end up being slammed back to reality a few weeks, sometimes months later. Remember, these things are extremely resilient and even the most experienced pco can miss them and remember it only takes one pregnant female(possibly a dormant one), two of the opposite sex or eggs to hatch to completely ruin your day. I would continue monitoring diligently and if it didn't interfere with your pcos treatment or go against his advice, keep up with the vacuuming and steaming (if you have a steamer). I'd still keep clutter down, keep dirty clothes off the floor and in a bag and be ready to deal with it swiftly again if they come back with a vengeance. I pray you got them and never have to deal with it again, cause my gf, two little girls, and I are going through hell with more than a light infestation in mutiple rooms. We may end up break our lease this spring and completely starting over, vehicles, belongings, and clothes... everything. I know many people aren't a fan of that and think it's excessive but I'm not going to live like this the rest of my life. Again, sorry for the negativity, just don't want you to let your guard down, cause that's when it hits you twice as hard as before. Good luck, I wish you the best, I really do.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. Lllo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 22:45:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the passive monitors will alert us if there are problems. We are still vigilant and I have a lot of anxiety but I think we are prepared.
    It is so hard at Christmas time and I feel badly for those still struggling. We are thankful that our infestation was so light and seems to be over

5. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 23:08:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Congratulations - what kind of passive monitors are you using?

6. Lllo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 23:23:51
    #

Login to Send PM

BB Alert which are David Cain's

7. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Dec 24 2016 23:36:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Did you use those before?

8. anxiousaboutBBs

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 15:39:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I also have a very light infestation and the PCO only found 3 when they did the heat treatment in the whole entire house. He also treated with chemicals and dust and will come back and retreat if I find anymore. He told me to use the passive monitors and check them frequently. I am so glad you got rid of them! It gives me hope. Do you live in a house or apartment?

9. Lllo

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 19:33:50
    #

Login to Send PM

2600 sq ft house. I never even thought about bed bugs before so I never had any need for the monitors. I understand that after 14 days we can be assured we are clear. We will keep the monitors and check regularly well into the future.
    I hope you are clear also

10. FayeState

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Dec 27 2016 20:06:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope they stay away.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82