Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Likelihood of bugs spreading within two-story house?

(4 posts)
  1. anxiousbedbugqueen

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Wed Feb 6 2019 13:57:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a two-story house. Just one person in one upstairs bedroom was receiving bites, so we had a K9 come out and check. The K9 alerted in just that one room, and only at one corner of the bed, so we began treating that room.

Prior to beginning treatment, the resident of the infested room laundered all clothing and placed in garbage bags -- however, some were not fully sealed and BBs, if inside, could have slipped out. For two days, these bags were left in a common dining room on the house's first floor. There is another bedroom about 20 feet from the dining room. I am wondering:

1) Given that this was a small infestation (as stated by our PCO) and that the K9 did not alert on dressers or closets in the affected room, isn't it unlikely that there would have been bed bugs in clothing in the room? (The room is kept tidy and all items are hung up or in dressers.)

2) If bed bugs survived the heat of the dryer and were left in the common room for two nights in unsecured but constrained garbage bags, would they travel 20 feet to another room of the house to feed? Or would they stay put until they got hungry, presumably longer than 2 days?

3) Do bed bugs often survive the heat of the dryer? All clothes were put in dry and did a full cycle on the hottest heat (cotton) setting. The clothes came out hot. But, our dryer doesn't always work that well so I am nervous that this didn't kill any present bugs.

3) Generally, I am just wondering if it is very likely that the bugs would have spread to the common room / this other room of the house. No one has received bites, but I am not sure what to think.

Thanks so much in advance for your help. This is my first post, but I have greatly relied on this site in dealing with this issue.

2. SalsaVince

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 10:18:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Unlikely. If the clothes were dried in heat for a full cycle, that should have killed any bugs and eggs on them. If the clothes were in furniture away from the bed, it's unlikely they had bugs on them to begin with but that should guarantee they were safe. Also, bugs would have trouble "climbing" up smooth plastic bags even if there were any in bags. Stay vigilant but no need to stress out.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 11:02:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I asked a similar question here and now I just make sure I dry for the full cycle instead of the 30 min that I got from a internet search.
    [/quote]If your home dryer is capable of actually drying a wet load of clothes then it's certainly able to kill a bed bug.

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Thu Feb 7 2019 11:26:46
    #

Login to Send PM

1. Unlikely, clothing on the floor or under the bed can harbor bed bugs, but unless the infestation is large and all the good real estate is already occupied the clothing hung up or in dressers should be bed bug free.
    2. Bed bugs do not survive the heat of a dryer. The terminal point is right around 120f, any dryer capable of drying clothing in a normal cycle reaches temps well above what is required.
    3a. See 2.
    3b. Dispersal is different in each infestation. Without being there I can only guess. Never use "bites" as confirming evidence, there is no way to know if the skin lesion was caused by a bite and certainly no way to trace it to a specific creature. Also, reactions to bed bugs bites can vary from person to person and within the same person on different areas of the skin, I am for the most part a non-reactor and show no physical evidence when fed upon unless I feed a large population of nymphs all at once in the same area, and even then, I only feed them on my arms, maybe my torso or legs would have a different reaction or none at all.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

285,399 posts in 47,493 topics over 146 months by 20,948 of 21,258 members. Latest: Nwkent25@gmail.com, Camilleparker, lamachina