Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Light, complicated, or delusional infestation?

(5 posts)
  1. Sleepy3269

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 2 2014 10:39:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I am new here & I am looking for some guidance regarding a possible infestation. I began having marks on my back in January. We own 2 laundromats, own 4 vehicles, and have a detached, two-story single family home of 2700 sq ft.
    Evidence is scant at best: on two occupied beds there have been black specks/balls on sheets that are easily moveable (our climate is actually quite dry w/humidity of 25% approx). I thought I saw a nymph this past week on my finger while on my tablet, but I moved quickly and it wasn't there when I looked back down. Shortly after, I got a good size skin colored welt on my cheek with a depression in the middle. I receive 3 or more new marks daily. My son will rarely have any marks. My husband has a few red marks on back occasionally-however at on point, his posterior cheeks were oddly peppered in red marks.
    Treatments: one heat treatment on upstairs only, one lame spray, one thorough spray. Finally we received a visit from head pco where we took furniture apart and he looked through everything (including vehicles) with a flashlight and pocket knife- five; five minutes after he left I had a painful welt on my neck crop up. Passives on beds and interceptors on all beds a month ago w/0 findings.
    Findings: in 2 vehicles, pco said carpet beetle larvae. In my car :4-5 little black bugs he said were carpet beetles. In the house: supposedly nothing. Pco said bb only bite at night and wouldn't bite me in car because it's moving LOL.
    Any feedback would be great, as I hesitate to drivel on suspecting the work site -to car -to house possibilities. None have been found at the laundries.

2. Sleepy3269

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 2 2014 10:51:02
    #

Login to Send PM

*The passive has only been on the beds for a week

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 2 2014 10:56:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Ok here we go, this is one I would say its back to basics and checklist it forward.

Please read the following in the following order:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/new-bite-primer-my-5000th-post - bite primer - to understand why skin reactions are not the way forward.

FAQs and useful tools.

http://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/carpetbeetles.html - carpet beetle information.

Then take shoes and socks off in the home to immediately neutralize the issue that causes carpet beetle based reactions and keep an eye out for:

• Live samples
    • Cast skins
    • Faecal traces

I am not a fan of using interception and Passive Monitoring but given the time they have been in place Ia m confident that an all clear is a strong indication that this is not bedbugs.

Moving forward and on the subject of the laundry services if you cant use separate vehicles for used and clean you should monitor the ones that carry dirty using something like the bed bug beacon to actively lure bedbugs that get transported and Passively Monitor within your facility. This combined with staff awareness and education could put a program in place which would mean you can market your services on the grounds that you are proactive on bedbug issues and I am sure a lot of the commercial clients will be looking for such features. I actually have a lot of domains held in that area although they are more applicable for a national company.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 2 2014 11:01:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just saw the additional note.

My rule has always been as follows:

7 days clear Passive Monitor on a non isolated bed is a good sign you are clear.

14 days clear Passive Monitor on a non isolated bed means close to zero risk of bedbugs.

21 days days clear Passive Monitor on an isolated bed is a good sign you are clear.

28 days clear Passive Monitor on an isolated bed means close to zero risk of bedbugs.

The only times this has not been the case in the past is when people literally catch bedbugs as they are brought in and often they only need to think about the common factors between that occurrence. I was in a case this week which has been complex because the occupant had not fully appreciated that her regular visitors could be non bite responders who are introducing the bedbugs with each visit either from their homes or as a result of the journey to them. Source resolved - problem resolved.

Hope that clarifies.

David

5. Sleepy3269

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri May 2 2014 11:17:31
    #

Login to Send PM

David,
    Thank you so much for the expedient replies and invaluable advice.
    I will start removing my shoes indoors -if larvae are in the vehicle do I just get it detailed and vacuum often?
    Fortunately, we do not use any cars for services connected to transporting laundry (other than my personal laundry- which I was not taking precautions with, prior to this. )
    I will continue to check my monitors and hopefully make it all clear to the 28 days.
    We are having ducting in the home cleaned, as one of the vehicle with the most larvae was garaged all winter-the furnace is in the garage.
    We have virtually no visitors since this started but I continue to go back to the vehicles. My commute is an hour each way. I will put a passive in my car, would an interceptor be beneficial at all?
    Again, thank you for your time and knowledge.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,004 posts in 49,869 topics over 154 months by 21,823 of 22,291 members. Latest: Lzrdeyes, bnorth, Nl9045