Light Colored Bedbugs??

(17 posts)
  1. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 18:41:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I am fairly certain that I have bedbugs...

For the past 2 months I have been getting bites while sleeping on my couch, not nightly but every 3-4 day and several bites at a time...

I pulled my couch from the wall today and there were 2 groups of what I am assuming were bedbugs, 9 bugs total...the 2 groups were close to eachother...

8 of the bugs were identical, and 1 looked different namely in size. Roughly the size of apple seeds...anyway, they were a tanish color (which is also the color of my couch)

So I freaked out, vaccummed them up...threw out my couch...and the loveseat (even tho I had no issues with the loveseat, I just got scared)

I have spent the day washing everything in rubbing alcohol and vaccuming...and putting everything in the washer/dryer...also sealed up the baseboards and all outlets and light switched with silicone and caulking)

I am absolutly freaking out...but now I am wondering if there are such things as light colored bedbugs? I should have taken a picture...but I was too busy freaking out!

Any advice would be MUCH appreciated...calling a professional is NOT an option for me, I literally can not afford it nor do I have anyway or getting a loan and nothing to sell to get the money, so I really need to find a way to deal with this (potential) problem on my own.

If its helpful...I am the only one getting bitten, but I am also the only one who ises the couch (where I sleep) been to Dr who ruled out scabies and such.

Thank you in advance for your time

2. heavyrocker

Account closed

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 19:00:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The light colored ones are the nymps,or babies.

3. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 19:14:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I wanted to add that they were not transparent at all...solid tan in color. All the pics I have seen online of the babies are a yellowy transparent color.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 19:57:22
    #

Login to Send PM

heavyrocker - 29 minutes ago  » 
    Dont worry,they were bed bugs.

Don't listen to anyone giving absolutes without a sample or a photo to ID. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got some serious credentials to come off as such an expert there dude?

While BBs are a possibility see if you can find some cast skins in the areas or on the floor under where the bugs were.

Also look for fecal traces on the wall.

You need to find something definitive before anyone can say BBs for sure.

Jim

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 20:19:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Slowly. For some people, tossing an infested piece of furniture is all that's needed. But, bed bugs are the hassle that they are because for many, tossing a bed or a couch just means loss of the item, as BB can also be in cracks, crevices, baseboards and anywhere in your home. Plus, dragging your things down the hall can cause bugs to shed and colonize new places.

Adult BB are kind of maroon colored, the babies (nymphs) are smaller and lighter. But many people have done a lot of un-necessary work, only to realize that they had mistaken other insects for BB. Not all "bugs in bed" (or behind couch) are "bed bugs". You need to get an ID before you invest/waste time, money and effort. If you can capture one of these insects, snap a pic and post to Flicker or other service and post a link on this board. Someone is sure to give you an ID.

The best thing you can do right now is a little reading. BB can be scary, but we have tools that can help you feel more empowered. Read this site's FAQ. Then browse the Resources section and please read the "Michigan Guide". http://www.michigan.gov/documents/emergingdiseases/Bed_Bug_Manual_v1_full_reduce_326605_7.pdf It is loaded with pictures, hints for inspection and the how and why of treatment. Whether you're treating yourself or working with a pro, I believe it's essential reading.

And hit us with your concerns and questions. You'll find wisdom, compassion and camaraderie here.

HeavyRocker. You are clearly enthusiastic. I don't run this forum, but as others have noted, your advice is troubling at times. Telling someone that a bug behind their couch is a BB -- without seeing a picture -- is irresponsible.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 2:41:30
    #

Login to Send PM

heavyrocker's second post was deleted.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 2:55:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for the responses! I feel better knowing there is a chance it might not be bed bugs...but I am vigiliant, and I will tear this house apart to try to find one to photograph! Well actually, I hope I never find another one, lol!

8. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 2:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Also that you so much, Celecto, for the links and information

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 6:04:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Not all pale colored bed bugs may be nymphs. Freshly molted bed bugs, even adults, are very pale and will get more tan to dark with time.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lou_bugs_pix/
    look at the picture: recently molted adult bed bugs

As pointed out above, bed bugs don't have to be restricted to furniture and dragging unwrapped, infested furniture on its trip to the dump may continue to spread them throughout a structure.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  10. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 9:49:16
    #

Login to Send PM

hmmmm well now I am concerned that I may have spread them when tossing the couch and loveseat? I vacuumed them very well first, then sprayed them down heavily with rubbing alcohol, then wrapped them in painters tarps (cause thats all I had, lol) and they both went straight out to the curb with a note telling other not to take them. The couch traveled 10 ft to the door and the loveseat 5. Is there somthing I should have done otherwise to prevent the spread?

11. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 10:18:15
    #

Login to Send PM

SlowlyDrained - 27 minutes ago  » 
    hmmmm well now I am concerned that I may have spread them when tossing the couch and loveseat? I vacuumed them very well first, then sprayed them down heavily with rubbing alcohol, then wrapped them in painters tarps (cause thats all I had, lol) and they both went straight out to the curb with a note telling other not to take them. The couch traveled 10 ft to the door and the loveseat 5. Is there somthing I should have done otherwise to prevent the spread?

I'm not an expert, but think your precautions were fine, particularly taking the furniture out in a wrapper of any kind.

12. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 12:28:33
    #

Login to Send PM

No one mentioned the vacuum cleaner.! If they were bed bugs, or really any type of bugs, they can crawl out of your vacuum cleaner. You need to dispose of the contents immediately and safely. We tie ours up in a plastic bag, immediately after vacuuming and take outside to the trash.

13. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 14:57:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh yes, the vacuum was emptied into a plastic bag, sealed and put in a ziploc and sealed and put outside in our trash can in -12 degree weater.

14. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 16:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Good job for a newbite!!

15. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 16:28:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I meant, "Good job, newbite".

16. SlowlyDrained

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 16:46:27
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, thanks!! I did a bit of reasearch before I ever sighted the bugs, when I first noticed the bites

I have continued my whole house cleaning/sealing today....and I think I want to get some of this DE powder stuff but I am not really sure what that is or where to find it.

17. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 23 2011 17:42:09
    #

Login to Send PM

@SD, here's the 411 from our FAQ on DE
    http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,277 posts in 49,227 topics over 152 months by 21,578 of 21,999 members. Latest: Cc8656, bb3784738, Buggingout111