1. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2009 3:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thought this was interesting...
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/sfgate/detail?blogid=46&entry_id=34972

I guess the use of nit-combs instead of Nix or Rid amounts to Integrated Pest Management on heads.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  2. bugbasher

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2009 9:34:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugs,
    That is true,my grandaughter lives in Florida and has encountered this problem before.We are well aware of the ipm strategy needed to combat these critters,too.You can add fleas and ticks to that category as well,since there have been mounting reports that the methods used to combat them are weakening as well.One thing that makes most of these other pests a bit easier to combat than bb's is at least they stay put,as opposed to having a hidey hole God knows where that you must find to kill them.
    Again,information and being vigilant is key.Florida does not do mandatory head checks as they do (or used to when my child was in school) in NY.When she attended grade school their was a once weekly head check done by the teacher or nurse and that helped cut down the spread immensely.The oldest question about where they originate from in the first place will never be answered unless they start talking,lol.But they are an exposure pest like all the other parasites.

3. DeathToBBs

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Feb 1 2009 18:50:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes. Here in NY when I was a child I remember teachers telling all their students to bring in two new #2 pencils so that the teachers could check the head of the children with the erasers of the pencils. In this day and age, knowing a lotta schoolchildren, I don't hear that anymore.

I've been seeing on the store shelves as well as advertisements for no-pesticide treatment for head lice. Greener and no chemicals is what they say. Well, all I can say is that we better stock up now on these products before they also get taken off the market by our government.

Oh yeah, as I was reading the article the "natural" treatment came up. But, did ya notice that this woman nit picked her daughters hair for hours and hours, something that was not done the 1st time.

4. Marixpress

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 11:55:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The best way to get rid of lice is to use a nit comb and comb tiny sections at a time. The shampoo (even when it works) can only do so much. I dealt with this a few months ago and my daughter was lice free in one week. Granted, my sister was home and able to comb while I was at work.

5. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 13:08:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Also when dealing with head lice you may want to vacuum around the bed and follow dryer instructions. Same with body lice as their eggs can be laid on protected areas of clothing. But pesticide application is not needed if you do the nit inspection properly. Some folks opt for the Yul Brenner/Sinead look and of course there is always Pthirus pubis. Good luck and have fun.

6. dottie

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 13:47:44
    #

Login to Send PM

This is bad news. I have always counted on scientists to keep making chemicals to solve our problems, especially bugs.

7. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Feb 3 2009 16:17:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Unfortunately the outcome on materials for use oft times rests with misguided or self serving politicians and special interest groups and not with scientist, entomologists and the like. Pesticides like medications, antibiotics and other materials must be used properly and according to label instructions and best by trained personnel. As with many things there is a risk benefit relationship which has to dictate use.

8. monroe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Feb 4 2009 18:24:16
    #

Login to Send PM

which NEEDS to dictate use.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,942 posts in 49,856 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19