Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

letting the BB win

(6 posts)
  1. Kbertolini22

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 10:48:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Good Morning,

Long story short, this past Sunday, after waking up with some bites on my legs, I scanned my apartment floor (just moved in in late July) , with a large lint roller, and discovered a BB. I bagged the sample immediately, and presented it to my Property Manager for inspection, and my worst nightmare was confimed - an adult BB. Took every search precaution, took nothing with me other than myself and my cats (fully searched them and myself before leaving), and brought us to "safety". The next morning, my PM advised that the exterminator would be there Tuesday evening to inspect and start treatment. In the meantime, I was instructed to bring all of my clothing, blankets, curtains, etc. to the laundromat for washing/drying. We stocked up on Black lawn bags and I packed up 18 bags full of everything I owned and spent well over 100 dollars washing/drying /placing in new bags and sealing, as instructed. My PM was actually amazed at how much I had gotten done in just 24 hours, and both she and the Exterminator agreed I made it very easy for insspection. Upon their inspection, they found no signs of the intruders (my mattress is already in an encasement , my topper however was not, and having a slat bedframe , I had no boxspring. ) Again, all a dream for easy inspection, NO SIGNS OF THEM on ANYTHING!! He sprayed the treatment in my dressers, my bed and frame, etc.; which they expained is a residual treatment, and will take about 2 weeks to kill the bastards, then they will return for inspection, In the meantime, I have to sleep there in order to draw them out . Great - LIVE BAIT. Off I went to the store to get double sided tape; to put along the frame , got myself some white sheets and a mattress cover for my topper. I can't use the cups on my frame, as it doesn't have legs, so this is the only option I have. I was ready to take on the challenge.....until I found another one on the floor. Complete nervous breakdown. I called my folks in tears that I can't do this. Again , fully checking myself (and even changing into a fresh set of clothes that I had hanging in a sealed bag at my front door before leaving), I left the apartment and have not been back since (it's been 2 days).

I totally understand what everyone is telling me "they don't carry disease, they can't really harm you, less of a threat than mosquitos , they'll get stuck on the tape", etc., but my mental state has been pushed to such a fragile state that the thought of it is sending me over the edge.

I spent the better part of last night reading this forum, and it's just amazing. I am hoping that someone, anyone, can help me with some tips to get through all of this. I want to help get this problem resolved, but my panic attacks are so bad that it's preventing me from even wanting to go back to the apartment alone. I am afraid that they're everywhere...I have stupid bait traps in my car, that probably don't even work, and am vacuuming it all of the time. I'm afraid to go to work, to see friends, I am losing my mind over this.

PLEASE HELP

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 17:22:04
    #

Login to Send PM

You mentioned property manager, so you're in an apartment type of place. PM, exterminator didn't mention anything about other apartments infested?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Kbertolini22

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 19:05:04
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    You mentioned property manager, so you're in an apartment type of place. PM, exterminator didn't mention anything about other apartments infested?

They did not say anything about any other units. They assured me that each unit is self sustained (I don't remember if that was the actual verbiage, but basically i have my own electrical and piping and each apartment has firewalls ). They're thinking that I had a hitchhiker, but since I've found two so far, I'm not so sure

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 19:37:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Kbertolini22 - 30 minutes ago  » 

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 

They did not say anything about any other units. They assured me that each unit is self sustained (I don't remember if that was the actual verbiage, but basically i have my own electrical and piping and each apartment has firewalls ). They're thinking that I had a hitchhiker, but since I've found two so far, I'm not so sure

Plumbing and electrical have to penetrate walls and/or floors (heating). Cable TV, FiOs, etc. Walls can sustain cracks.

5. Kbertolini22

newbite

Posted 4 days ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 20:10:07
    #

Login to Send PM

That's what my folks were saying as well. We are trying to decide if it's worth it to pack me up, treat my belongings, toss what we can't, and move me out of there, or if maybe it's just a few unwanted guests that they can take care of. Which I won't know until I can mentally force myself to sleep there a night and help with the treatment

6. thirdusername

Posted 1 day ago
    Wed Sep 19 2018 0:42:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I've lived in different apartments over 20 years and I've had bed bugs once (recently). I don't have numbers but I think it is really hard to live in apartment and not come across them.
    I hope you at least give treatment a chance but I understand how much anxiety they can cause.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172