Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Lesson Learned - ALWAYS identify before treatment

(5 posts)

Tags:

1. suckitbbz408

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 16 2015 12:41:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share this with others so they don't make the same mistake I did. I woke up with bug bites all over my body. I was hit bad. So many bites, I couldn't even count. I was miserable. All of my body was hurting and I went completely nuts. Like most people, I got a bite and thought BED BUGS! I had just stayed at a hotel a few days before so I just assumed I had them. I did a quick search for a Bed Bug Exterminator. I didn't research them, I just saw a 5 star review on Yelp and called. HUGE MISTAKE. They came, didn't inspect anything, just covered my mattress and put the risers on then sprayed the house with this non-toxic soy-based solution called CimiShield. I paid them $1,000 and thought it was over. Everything was in bags, dried, washed, etc. I thought at minimum my bed was safe. I followed all of the standard protocol of making my bed a safe zone, etc. That night I was watching a movie and BAM a bug was on my arm. In a panic I smashed it, I didn't really get a good look at it but I got up -- game over -- I was up until 4am researching. First thing I did was research this CimiShield (they product they used) and found it very interesting that it wasn't a standard; no one was praising it or using it as a standard solution. Red flags. I read the reviews on Yelp again and noticed a lot of people had no photo and few other reviews. I became suspicious. I got my house inspected by a dog and they said I have no bed bugs. I'm still not where I need to be with this situation but I already have ONE HUGE LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, get proof of the issue before exterminating. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, research the exterminator and their protocol properly. Don't give way to panic, remain calm and take the right steps -- most of which is located on this amazing site --> http://bedbugger.com/2007/01/20/faq-think-you-have-bed-bugs-some-dos-and-donts/

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 16 2015 14:01:57
    #

Login to Send PM

ONE HUGE LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, get proof of the issue before exterminating. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, research the exterminator and their protocol properly. Don't give way to panic, remain calm and take the right steps
    Great lesson for all. Did you call them to ask why they treated for something that was never identified as being there? You certainly could have reacted to having been bitten while at the hotel. It doesn't mean they had been carried by you back home. Or there were very few and the treatment killed them. The thing you found crawling was not a bed bug or it was the only one that was still alive post treatment and you cornered it and dispatched it. From an entomologist point of view, please keep specimens for review no matter how squished they are.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 16 2015 16:23:35
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a very important lesson and thanks for the shout-out to our "bed bug dos and don'ts".

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 16 2015 21:13:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for sharing your lessons learned.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 17 2015 5:51:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Thanks for sharing. You certainly picked up the lesson faster than others have and in some cases the non bedbug issue is effected by spraying liquid so "treatments" can mask the actual reason for the issue.

The worst case I am aware of involved 2 complete home moves taking only sim cards and credit cards with them. The cost must have been vast and yet it was a reaction triggered by Pscocids on each occasion.

Its why we always try to start off with confirmation because it also helps you to see the extent of the issue when its present.

If you send me a PM I will arrange to post you some things that will help ensure you can confirm immediately if there is an issue.

Thanks again for sharing it really helps educate others.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,734 posts in 50,026 topics over 155 months by 21,875 of 22,358 members. Latest: weluckyfew201, questioning_bugger, Mikayah