Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Length of male bed bug larger than 7MM?

(8 posts)
  1. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 16:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

can the length of a male bed bug ever be as large as 1/2" to 1"?

2. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 16:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Would be the largest I have ever seen and that's with millions seen and killed.

Can you provide a picture against a ruler to get the scale.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

3. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 16:27:21
    #

Login to Send PM

i don't have a picture because i didn't realize that male bbs were long. and didn't think it was a bb at the time.

But i remember all of a sudden i saw this "black thing" from quite a distance by my sofa. i didn't see a head, but of course i didn't get that close to examine it cuz i was terrified. the "thing" looked like the body of a male bb. like a shell with horizonal lines and was black and in my estimation was about 3/4"-1" long and probably about 1/4" fat. it just sat there. it didn't move.

my husband was out of town and i was so scared, but i finally mustered up the courage to get a paper towel and pick it up, screaming the second i made contact with it and ran to the trash chute and threw it down there, screaming the entire time.

i just saw a picture of a male bb, and the body looked very much like the "thing" in my apt except that the thing in my apt was definitely larger than 1/4".

Any idea what it could have been.?

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 19:16:56
    #

Login to Send PM

oh crap.. is it possible?? gigantic one inch long bbs??? Nooo...nooo...it can't be...

Please somebody...say it ain't so!!

5. Louise

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 19:19:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Two or three weeks ago, I was changing a bed in our cabin and my eyes were immediately drawn to a black, teardrop-shaped "bug". My heart nearly stopped as I noted the horizontal striations and the bed bug-like shape. Like your bug, this one wasn't moving either. I grabbed a piece of packing tape (hanging conveniently nearby) and snatched it up for a better look.

Hmmm. No legs. No head. And it was black.

My heart, which had been racing at full speed, began to slow down and I started to breathe a bit easier.

As near as I can figure, what I found was NOT bed bug (make that "bat bug")-related, but was instead merely the abdomen of a carpenter ant. Why it was in the bed - under the sheet, but on top of the mattress pad - I could not tell you. (Interestingly, I found a head of an ant in the hallway outside of the bedroom. From the same ant, perhaps?)

If you bug was black, I don't think it was a bed bug.

Louise

6. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 19:37:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Bad sleepless. You need to repeat the mantra, capture sample, capture sample.

3/4 to 1" is way too big for a BB.

Jim

7. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 19:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 25 minutes ago  » 
    Please somebody...say it ain't so!!</

David, can you think of anything else it could have been?

Deedle-DITTO!!!!!!! Lol

Louise-I think it was black, whatever it was, it was dark and I spotted it from across the room. Yuck

Spideyjg-I know you're right, but honestly, given the same situation with the same bug, I probably would have done the same thing. Lol. It skeeved me out so!!!!!! Even when I gather the smaller specimens that i post pix of here, you really don't want to see or hear me doing it. Lol. Thanks all ofmyou guys!

8. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Sep 29 2010 19:48:08
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 25 minutes ago  » 
    Please somebody...say it ain't so!!</

David, can you think of anything else it could have been?

Deedle-DITTO!!!!!!! Lol

Louise-I think it was black, whatever it was, it was dark and I spotted it from across the room. Yuck

Spideyjg-I know you're right, but honestly, given the same situation with the same bug, I probably would have done the same thing. Lol. It skeeved me out so!!!!!! Even when I gather the smaller specimens that i post pix of here, you really don't want to see or hear me doing it. Lol. Thanks all ofmyou guys!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

281,545 posts in 46,823 topics over 143 months by 20,658 of 21,555 members. Latest: ykngrggpus, DoIHaveBB, Dread Bugs