Legal advice needed

(5 posts)
  1. bed ugh

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 20 2017 3:13:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I moved to LA a few months ago, I knew it wasn't the nicest building, but the rent was cheap, I had gated parking, and the couple occupying the other bedroom had lived there for a few years and seemed to like it.

The first night my boyfriend was unable to sleep because a borax outline traced the baseboard (which I disregarded until I asked what it was and promptly vacuumed it away because of how toxic it is to cats). He kept complaining of tiny white bugs and I shrugged it off as dust, he had welts everywhere within a month, I figured it was an allergic reaction because somehow I had no problems- back home I was always the one getting bit, I never even knew what a bedbug was.

After 1 week living there our roommates informed us we were being fumigated as a "yearly precaution"- which had I known then what I know now wouldn't have made sense because it was only our unit.

I've found laws stating or illegal to show or rent out without disclosure during an infestation in CA, and though I'm technically subletting I'm wondering if these hold true?
    I live in a very impoverished nwighborhiod, and have heard from multiple tenants about their bites and bugs, though they're afraid to complain for fear of losing housing.

I know it's discouraged to move during an active infestation but it will not go away if this building is not dealt with properly! I rented a storage unit for our belongings and wrapped and tapped everything. I'm leaving all my furniture and have borrowed closed to 5000$ trying to handle this in 3 months time. I'm a waitress, my credit cards are maxed out and so is my sanity. My boyfriend and I haven't slept well in 2 months since the first adult bb was seen in the day time.

Between steamcleaners, paxktite, storage unit, laundry, trash bags, recaulking thia god forsaken bed bug mansion, a new deposit, and my sanitity- can I do anything?
    Did I get lured into some sociopathic nightmare???
    Do I have to legally pay them when I'm almost move out?
    Can I get my deposit back?

I'm throwing out a new mattress, tons of furniture, a record player I love, sound system, I'm 50/50 on keeping my laptop in a plastic bag and playing solitaire for the next 2 years until I can touch my belongings. Not to mention new expensive rent, and renting a space for all of our records/tapes that I can't figure out how to clean properly.

Where is justice?
    Or am I just out thousands and thousands of dollars I don't have?

2. BattleoftheBug

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 20 2017 13:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I am not a lawyer but, if what you say is true about CA law, you could sue the landlord in small claims court for damages if you can provide proof, such as samples of the bugs. Your testimony versus the landlord would also be weighed in that court as I don't think lawyers are allowed.

3. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 20 2017 13:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

The hardest part about suing in a situation like this is proving they were there when you moved in and that you didn't bring them in.

As far as moving look into having a moving truck fumigated with vikane. It's the best way to move from a bed bug situation. You can email Douglas products who are the makers of vikane and tell them your location and ask for licenced fumigators in your area.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 20 2017 14:17:12
    #

Login to Send PM

As I understand it, no one qualified to give legal advice would do so on the internet, anonymously.

That said, as someone who doesn't give legal advice, this suggests that the law went into effect 7/1/17 for new tenancies:
    http://www.mhalllaw.com/practiceareas/california-bed-bug-control-law-and-disclosure-requirements.asp

If you moved into an existing tenancy, a sublet, it may not apply to you.

Please seek local advice from a tenant's organization or legal aid; try calling one or both of these advice hotlines (in CA):
    Tenants Together Tenants' Rights Hotline
    Housing Rights Center Landlord Tenant Hotline

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. bed ugh

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Jul 20 2017 15:46:37
    #

Login to Send PM

I've read the July 1st one too and that seems to be more about posting. Price in the building, which also isn't done. This place is hell on earth- I am also contacting a friend who is a lawyer to get real advice. Just wondering if anyone has been in this situation in CA

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,305 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto