(10 posts)
  1. floridabugger

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 17:25:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,

Thanks to the info on this forum, I have ordered DE, a pest pistol, and a p100 respirator and will be trying to use DE to rid myself of a problem in the coming days. I am planning on dusting the room, using a broom to push the dust into the carpet fibers, and then evacuating the room for a a day or two, then vacuuming it up. I was hoping it would be safe if I marked portions of the room to not step on, and then leave the DE on those portions for a month or so, but didn't know whether that was hazardous because stepping nearby the DE might disturb it into the air? Would it be safe if I had a strip around the areas with DE that didn't have DE on it, so that I would never walk with in, for instance, a inch of DE covered floor without a respirator on? If it matters, my room is quite small and so the portions that I was hoping to leave the DE on for a month would mostly be under my bed and around my bed and in my closet.

I apologize if this has already been answered. If so, please refer me to the appropriate thread/site (I couldn't find it when I googled it).

Really, really appreciate it! This has been driving me nuts!

2. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 18:06:51
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is meant to be used sparingly. And it doesn't work overnight.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 25 2016 23:15:13
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is designed to be dusted into cracks and crevices and once applied should be brushed into these areas further. Over application can present unwanted issues and may present as physically repellent to bed bugs. Follow the label and best practices.

4. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 0:05:54
    #

Login to Send PM

binincave - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, DE should only be placed lightly on the places you step on the carpet. It will move to the sides and provide an excellent coverage area. DE should never be used anywhere except carpet walkways.

None of the above is right.

5. floridabugger

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 0:36:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the immediate feedback. One of the issues that I have in figuring out how to treat my infestation is wading through all the contradictory info! Firstly, I must clarify that I have a flea infestation and not a bed bug infestation, but that I asked the question on this forum because it didn't seem bed bug specific (whether it would be harmful to have DE on carpet that I wasn't planning on walking on, but was planning on walking around, didn't seem specific to fleas). I thought I'd read that this was a valid way to treat flea infestations (maybe it isn't and if it isn't, I appreciate being told that). I guess my question is still open, and the additional question of whether it is surely not intended to be used in the way that I described in order to fight flea infestation, has also arisen. I did understand that most a ton of fleas in the infestation won't have hatched when the DE is on the ground, but had read that if you do it over a couple of weeks it might work (but maybe that is all misinformation...I apologize for bringing questions about fleas to this forum, and if you all would like to ignore it that makes sense, I just felt the original q wasn't flea specific and this forum seemed to have the most information on the product (DE) ).

Thanks again!

6. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 27 2016 23:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

If your question was in regard to fleas you probably should have mentioned you are talking about a pest with a totally different ecology, life cycle, feeding and other factors. But your method of application is still problematic. Research flies, find the host, vacuum, use an IGR and follow a label.

7. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 28 2016 1:27:10
    #

Login to Send PM

I have used Precor2000 very successfully against fleas. One can covered an 880 sf apartment, twice. DE is hell on a vacuum cleaner, and is hell on the lungs. The can was about $20, and between using a flea topical on my pet and the Precor, it took care of everything. No muss, no fuss. Precor has the aforementioned IGR which means it will kill fleas for several months.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 28 2016 23:38:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for the immediate feedback. One of the issues that I have in figuring out how to treat my infestation is wading through all the contradictory info!

A lot of the conflicting information may be coming from people (eg bbincave) who are not experts and not qualified to give treatment advice. As Winston noted also, treatment advice for bed bugs vs. fleas will be different.

Finding a product for treating fleas and following label instructions is a good idea.

Note that unsafe uses of DE are unsafe regardless of which pest is being addressed.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 28 2016 23:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

KillerQueen - 2 days ago  » 

binincave - 24 minutes ago  » 
    Hi, DE should only be placed lightly on the places you step on the carpet. It will move to the sides and provide an excellent coverage area. DE should never be used anywhere except carpet walkways.

None of the above is right.

bbincave,
    KillerQueen is correct here.
    I've read three posts from you today with incorrect information.
    Please stop giving advice and hang around and learn a little more about bed bugs.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 29 2016 4:48:06
    #

Login to Send PM

floridabugger:
    You should have mentioned fleas in your post as Winston pointed out there are different products specific for particular pests in many cases. An insect growth regulator is advocated for flea control. I don't know why people feel that they apply DE and then have to vacuum it up. Why bother applying it? It doesn't work immediately; it's not physically able to do so, but it is abrasive on the vacuum cleaner.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,565 posts in 48,149 topics over 149 months by 21,215 of 21,569 members. Latest: eaj278, Lh0512, patmc3853