Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Leaving Car in Hot Sun for 48 hours?

(11 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 20:14:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Will this kill the bbs? We did have our car treated with sterifab, and I vacuumed like crazy but we have two kids with car seats, which further complicates matters. Bedlam can't be used in such a small space (especially since my little one gets asthma easily). Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thank You:)

2. BakedBedBugs

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 20:17:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Define "hot".

Seriously, the centre core of your seats would have to get up over 120 degrees. If the floorboards are cooler by just 10 degrees it won't work.

If you have a thermal provider in your area you could do that. I have treated two cars and not damaged anything.

3. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 20:21:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks that is a great idea. I will look into that.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 20:26:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you know your car to be infested?

Heat would not only have to get to 120F but my understanding is it would have to reach every part of the car and be maintained for hours.

Vikane gas fumigation is another option.

You might want to be deep into your home's treatment before you do this, since it's expensive and you would not want to re-infest it.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Itchybutdealing

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 22:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks. Yes unfortunately we know that the car is infested. Do you think that Vikane is the only option? I am paying for the treatment of 2 homes and have spent over $3000 between the two, but if that is the only way to go then that way we must go!

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 23:29:35
    #

Login to Send PM

This may sound crazy, but you might consider calling a local three day body work place and seeing what temperatures the interiors of cars reach with them. I only thought of this because I regularly listen to <i>Car Talk </i> on NPR.

(If you're not familiar with the show, it's two guys from Boston who get calls about car problems. Well, at least that's how most calls start.)

Anyway, one time a woman called in because her car was infested with baby black widow spiders, and the bug experts she talked to said that it would take extreme heat or extreme cold to kill them off. The Car Talk guys had few suggestions, but the show has a segment called "Stump the Chumps," in which Tom and Ray call back former callers to see if their suggestions worked. The person whose car was infested had contacted a local 3 day auto body repair chain, since such "quickie" paint job places generally put the cars in a cooker of sorts and heat them up to get the paint to dry/cure faster than it normally would (hence, the 3 day turn around for a paint job on a car.) She had her car cooked and it killed off the black widows.

First, you would have to tell the auto body place that the car was infested with bed bugs, which might make them reluctant to treat your car. (Trust me, getting someone to bathe my cat was a challenge, and the bugs don't bunk down on cats.)

Secondly, you'd need to find out exactly how hot the *interior* of the car would be, because I don't know the temps that black widows vs. BB die at.

But, if you could find a place that was willing after being fully informed, and the interior got hot enough, maybe that would be an alternative to Vikane?

At the very least, it certainly can't hurt to ask the pros here what they think and see if you can't get hard numbers about interior temps from the body shops.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 2:41:35
    #

Login to Send PM

itchy,

I really don't know what all options there are. A PCO may be willing to treat with sprays. (Some won't but they might tell you who will.) I would NOT try and DIY this as IMHO there's even more danger involved in treatng an enclosed space than in a home.

buggyinsocal has a clever idea. Definitely look into that. You'd want to verify a heat of 120F is reached for more than 3 hours (I'd read some of the sites about how thermal heat works treatment to verify that too, as I may be misremembering.)

8. johndoe

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 6:07:19
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an interesting topic. Nobugsonme said:

"Do you know your car to be infested?

Heat would not only have to get to 120F but my understanding is it would have to reach every part of the car and be maintained for hours.

Vikane gas fumigation is another option.

You might want to be deep into your home's treatment before you do this, since it's expensive and you would not want to re-infest it."

Those are all very good points. Also, I'm starting to suspect that my car may be infested with bbs because even though I have machine washed and dried the clothing that I wear, I particularly noticed that after being in my car for a while today after leaving an appointment that I went to, my left forearm near my elbow started to itch and I eventually noticed the characteristic pink or red bumps in those areas. And from that moment I started to suspect that the bb bites that I have been experiencing lately may be coming from bbs that may be in my car.

However, I looked up some information about the inside temperature of a car on a hot day which said that:

"On an 85-degree Fahrenheit day, for example, the temperature inside a car with the windows opened slightly can reach 102 degrees within ten minutes. After 30 minutes, the temperature will reach 120 degrees...On hot and humid days, the temperature in a car parked in direct sunlight can rise more than 30 degrees per minute..."

http://forums.techguy.org/random-discussion/571533-how-hot-does-inside-car.html

http://www.cabq.gov/pets/weather.html

Also, I live in a fairly large apartment complex which doesn't have a parking garage, and there have been plenty of days this summer where my car has sat in the parking lot in 80 and 90 degree weather. However, I have been wondering about the trunk of my car which obviously doesn't get as hot as the window section and was wondering if the bbs were surviving in the trunk and were able to travel to the windowed section on cooler days or when the air conditioner was on when I was in my car.

Also, I am pretty deep into my apartment's treatment of bbs and will find out more about vikane gas fumigation and will also ask our PCO about his recommendation for car infestation.

9. LosFelizBuggedOut

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sat Jul 19 2008 23:50:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -- has anyone gotten a follow up on their preferred treatment, or any good recs in the SoCal area? I'm not positive but would like to gameplan once I'm deeper into treatment and maybe have better verification if there is anything in my car...

I've read in various sources that the car will reach at least an internal temp of 120 on a "hot" day (it would be nice if I could simply take my car out to the desert and leave it there during hot part of the day for several hours) -- but as Nobugson me pointed out, perhaps this wouldn't really work as the 120 wouldn't reach all parts of the car.

I'm primarily concerned with damaging leather and electronics (including built-in GPS etc. etc.)... thanks again everyone!

10. sistabelle

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2008 0:04:05
    #

Login to Send PM

It is 95 on a regular basis in my area. I rolled up the windows, put black sheets all over my car, then let it sit in the sun for over 5 hours for 4 days. Since it is documented temperatures raise above 120 in 30 minutes on a 90 degree day, it would seem to me that the bugs would surely be dead.

I was told by a PCO that they have recommended this and that it has always worked in the past.

11. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Sun Jul 20 2008 0:30:39
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are going to do this, Lord knows if it would be effective, put a thermometer under the seat but easily reachable. Pop the car open and grab it out to see what it had gotten to after 5 hours or so.

I've seen various thermal death thresholds listed stating 115-120. So if it never reached that you just spun your wheels.
    The bugs will retreat deeper into the vehicle as the heat increases trying to survive.

If in SoCal why not watch for a nasty heat wave in Las Vegas or Phoenix when the air temp is 115 or better then drive out to there for a weekend and do the blanket thing.

I don't know if that would work but it would maximize your chances.

Personally I'd look into the auto painter "dryer" as a possible option if Vikane isn't one.

Jim

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,442 posts in 46,577 topics over 142 months by 20,543 of 21,407 members. Latest: karthikc, Chick, Jay11690