(4 posts)
  1. singinsteph

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 10:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there,

So my roommate and I discovered back in January that we had bedbugs. We immediately told the leasing office and went through three treatments where they sprayed all of our furniture, mattresses, etc. We laundered and bagged our clothes each time and were told that the problem only was in my bedroom near my bed. I also purchased an encasement for both my mattress and box spring and got rid of my wooden bedframe and replaced it with a cheap metal one. We were bb free for about two and half months before my roommate, who had never previously seen a bug in her room, found one on her bed in early May. We told management immediately, and they sent a PCO up to inspect and do a treatment (we didn't have to prep, we just took our bedding off the beds and they supposedly sprayed our beds... not sure if that actually happened though). The PCO said they didn't find evidence of bb's at that time. However, this past Memorial Day weekend, I found a bug in my bed that had bit me and then three days later, my roommate found one on her bed.

Our lease is ending this summer, so we were able to break it one month early and move out. Our apartment is sending up a PCO this Friday (6/5), 6/15, and 6/25 and we are planning to move out completely by June 30th. We don't want to move to our respective new places without bringing bb's, obviously, so here's our plan that we want advice for:

-We are properly disposing of all furniture (mattresses, box springs, frames, dressers, nightstands, couches, bookshelves, tv stands, tables, chairs) and starting over in our new places

-We are laundering and ziplock bagging all of our clothes and placing them in the living room (away from bb ground zero) during our treatments and just moving them like that without taking them out

-We are throwing away all current bedding, pillows, etc. after treatments and before moving

-We are rubbing down all non-washable items with 90% isopropyl alcohol and bagging them before moving

-We are leaving our suitcases out (not in the bedrooms) to be sprayed by the PCO

Basically we are only moving with our laundered clothes and alcohol-treated items (books, makeup, toiletries, shoes, hangers, etc) and leaving all beds and furniture behind to start over in our new places. We'll also be treated three times in the next month before we move. Is there anything else we should be doing/taking note of to ensure we don't bring anything with us? Our problem isn't too serious since we've caught it in the early stages both times, so we are hoping it hasn't spread too much further than our bedrooms and that we'll be able to get out unscathed. Any advice is appreciated!

2. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 14:36:10
    #

Login to Send PM

http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/stuff/
    ^Some info from the FAQ

Another option is a heat-treatment unit/moving van. You could look into that if you want. Just a thought. Another thought is that you may want to check to make sure your living room furniture isn't infested (i.e. couch) before putting things in there.

Good luck with your move!

Let's get down the business... to defeat... the bugs. HWAH!
  3. singinsteph

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 16:04:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the response! We're actually not bringing our couches or any of our living room furniture with us and properly disposing of it on our move-out date, so there's no need for that.

The one thing I'm on the fence about bringing is my small table with four chairs. The bb's haven't been seen around the living/dining room area and I'm not sure if the PCO will spray around it since that's where we're keeping our bins/bags of clean clothes. Is there anything else I can do to it to be sure I'm not bringing in bb's to my new place or do you think it's safer to pitch it?

4. paranoidaboutbugs

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 16:50:20
    #

Login to Send PM

The one thing I'm on the fence about bringing is my small table with four chairs. The bb's haven't been seen around the living/dining room area and I'm not sure if the PCO will spray around it since that's where we're keeping our bins/bags of clean clothes.

I would definitely ask the PCO before they spray to see what they're spraying and if that area will be included. If they aren't, I'd suggest the use of some Nuvan strips in a furniture bag or heat treatment. Make sure to research that to account for shipping time and time to treat the furniture. Rag-in-a-bag also would be okay, but it has a very strong smell that tends to linger. Still, a heat-treatment may work better on a table and chairs. Unfortunately neither is 100% as there are many factors that play into it. However, it's still worth looking into.

Is there anything else I can do to it to be sure I'm not bringing in bb's to my new place or do you think it's safer to pitch it?

I really can't be the judge on that since I'm not there to witness your situation nor am I a PCO to tell you what can and can't be taken. However, another option is to buy a rental space unit and store everything for a year until you can be sure all bed bugs, whether they're there or not, are all dead. Heat-treatment, waiting it out, nuvan/hotshots, and PCO spraying, seem to be the ways to go about it.

Alternatively if you search moving in the search box in the upper right corner of the forum, you should be able to pull up quite a few posts about moving.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982