laundry pre-treatment

(17 posts)
  1. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 15 2015 15:56:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there!

I hope someone can help me out. I am doing the pre-treatment laundry and have a question. I laundered my boots and sneakers but the dryer in the laundromat could not get them dry enough. They are still damp. I washed them first in hot water.

The PCO did not tell me to launder my shoes just my clothes but he is definitely not a reliable one for so many reasons but I have no choice since the landlord chose him. Am I OK with using the boots and sneakers this way or should I just take them tomorrow to a different laundromat in the city.

2. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 14:10:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Not an expert but what I understand is no need to wash shoes & boots , useing the dryer for 30min will heat treat them enough to kill live bugs & eggs ,..I expect the experts will chime in here shortly with advice for you to fallow, good luck.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 14:38:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Consider using a dryer rack for stuff like boots that may knock around.

4. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 15:47:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Why in the world would you wash your boots in the washing machine. Please read the FAQs on how to deal with items like that. "The PCO did not tell me to launder my shoes just my clothes but he is definitely not a reliable one" well he or she is reliable enough to tell you not to wash your boots! RTFFAQS

5. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 18:01:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your input. The only reason I washed my boots and sneakers is that the laundromat's dryer doesn't get sufficiently hot when it comes to heavier items. To be in the safe side, I wash in hot and dry as much as I can.

I take it since he didn't say to wash or dry shoes, snakers or boots there's no need to do anything with them? He only said to treat clothes.

6. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 18:21:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Your" pre-treatment" would really depend on what type treatment they are using.
    You should be able to ask your PCO any questions you may have since they are doing the treatment, and they may not be quite as quick as to use RAFA to your questions like WOB does for newbie over reactions or panic & just general lack of knowledge .
    good luck!

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 18:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

If you wish you can heat treat your shoes without washing either in the dryer using a rack to keep them from tumbling around or if you want to spend some money in a heat chamber type of device like zappbug or paktite. Alternatively you can treat them using the "rag in a bag" protocol or with ddvp pest strips.

Actually I don't see the big problem and washing them first as long as The material of the footwear warrants it. I've put my running shoes and the machine and never had a problem. just make sure if you wash them first you leave them in the dryer long enough.

Richard

8. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 16 2015 22:09:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Let me try and be clear here there is no *%^&ing reason to wash boots in a washing machine for bed bugs. In fact the washing machine does not generally kill bed bugs and should be taken out of the equation, in order to kill bugs a washers hot water would have to be over 142F. They are not set that high because of energy efficiency and the liability factor that people would get burned.

9. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 0:36:37
    #

Login to Send PM

For anyone unaware, Winston is an experienced bed bug pro writing under a pseudonym.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  10. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 9:43:46
    #

Login to Send PM

My previous post could have been worded better, and did not mean to imply that machine washing boots is an effective treatment for bed bugs.* My intent was simply to ease the OP's fears that some terrible mistake had been made by washing prior to drying, just as many here have washed clothes prior to drying, when it is the drying that actually does the job.

Personally, for boots, as previously mentioned, I'd use some sort of heat chamber device, or pesticide treatment such as Pest Strips or the newer "Rag in the bag" Protocol.

* For those interested, machine washing actually does kill bed bugs and nymphs at 104 degrees F in a 90-minute wash cycle. The problem is that it doesn't kill the eggs at those temperatures. Source: Richard Naylor '10

Richard

11. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 12:48:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 12 hours ago  » 
    For anyone unaware, Winston is an experienced bed bug pro writing under a pseudonym.

Does that mean I can't call honey?

12. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 13:14:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ItsJustABug -  » 
    Not an expert but what I understand is no need to wash shoes & boots , useing the dryer for 30min will heat treat them enough to kill live bugs & eggs ,..I expect the experts will chime in here shortly with advice for you to fallow, good luck.

As I've stated over and over, I'm not an expert . . . But in my opinion I'm not sure that 30 minutes in a dryer is ok for boots and shoes. Especially since the OP stated she doesn't think the dryer is getting hot enough.

Also, in my opinion, if you are gong to heat treat shoes and boots (which I do think is a good way to treat them), because they are usually thick and dense, the best thing to do may be to monitor them to make sure the kill temperature is reached. (There are several ways to monitor them.) and if I am remember correctly its 122 f for one minute? They can be killed at lower temps but it takes longer, so i believe the suggested temp is 122 throughout or at the core. (Again, going by memory only.)

ItsJustABug -  » 
    much better response honey ,thank you

Maybe it's just me, but I found that condescending and a bit rude to a professional and expert that participates here, is that how you meant it?

13. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 14:26:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you everyone for your responses. The PCO stated to just wash clothes in hot and dry them until they are dry. He didn't say anything about shoes. I just did it cause I wanted to be thorough. At this point, he is coming to spray so it doesn't give me time to do all my shoes.

I am a bit confused because in the FAQS it states that washing in hot is enough and drying in hot is enough too but the combination is best. Now I am hearing that washing in hot will not kill the eggs.

All this prep work is quite an ordeal. I am living out of bags for the next few weeks which is quite an ordeal. I don't know how parents can do this with small children.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your replies. I will just hope for the best and just follow what he says.

14. sassy123

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 14:29:25
    #

Login to Send PM

All this prep work and living out of bags is enough to give someone a serious panic attack. Any false move and all your hard work and money goes down the drain.

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 15:09:50
    #

Login to Send PM

sassy123 - 32 minutes ago  » 
    I am a bit confused because in the FAQS it states that washing in hot is enough and drying in hot is enough too but the combination is best. Now I am hearing that washing in hot will not kill the eggs.

This FAQ (Kill bed bugs with heat: steaming, laundry..., which could use some updating and condensing) is the one in question and cites research from Michael Potter which tested bed bugs and eggs in a hot wash or dry items in a hot dryer, and found bed bugs and eggs were killed in either process.

However, you can gather from this that a dryer alone is sufficient and faster for treating clean, dry clothing. Moreover, many people may have access to washing machines which don't run very hot on hot, so a hot dryer may be more reliable.

I also think part of Winston's point was that putting leather boots through the washer and dryer may damage them. And that if the PCO didn't recommend it, you probably did not need to do it.

sassy123 - 1 hour ago  » 
    All this prep work and living out of bags is enough to give someone a serious panic attack. Any false move and all your hard work and money goes down the drain.

Some reputable PCOs no longer ask all their clients to launder all their clothing -- not even using just a dryer. In many or even most cases, they believe it's not necessary. One is David Cain, on the forums, and another is Jeff White of Bed Bug Central (who used to participate here).

I would personally recommend people do it if their PCO asks them to (after all, the terms of your service or a warranty may depend on it), but do no more than the PCO asks you to do. (It sounds like you're doing more than the PCO asked, which will exhaust you and your funds, and may damage items too.)

I would add that if your PCO isn't aware of research studies suggesting that a hot dryer for 1/2 hour is sufficient for clean, already dry items, and you don't also need to re-wash them, then I would personally choose to just do the hot dryer and not mention this.

On the other hand, if my PCO did not tell me to prep by putting clothing through the dryer, I probably wouldn't do it.

I know bed bugs can make people feel like they want to do anything at all to solve the problem, but exhausting yourself doesn't help make any of it easier and can lead to other negative outcomes.

16. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 15:50:53
    #

Login to Send PM

ItsJustABug - 2 hours ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 12 hours ago  » 

Does that mean I can't call honey?

My point was, Winston is (a) a volunteer who is taking his free time to advise people here, and (b) he knows what he's talking about when he says the OP does not need to/should not wash boots.

I see he is frustrated above, but try to read that from a different perspective: where is Winston coming from?

Winston does not want to see the OP wasting her time on a pointless activity. He may be saying it in a brash manner, but his saying it at all means he is the bedbugged OP's best friend.

Tough love.

I am deleting the "honey" post -- it's pretty tame as far as name-calling goes, but it does seem like the intention is to attack another.

17. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Feb 17 2015 19:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

[admin note: This post which discusses the moderation in this thread has been moved here.]

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,355 posts in 50,178 topics over 155 months by 21,932 of 22,430 members. Latest: Beachhouse, bbguy, Ladybug1993