Last year I had an infestation, recurrence? [a: earwigs, cockroaches]

(16 posts)
  1. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 10:44:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So last year I moved to Greece to study and I rented a cheap, quite old flat with furniture, the flat was left un-rented for 5 months(April-Sept) before I moved in.
    My mom and I first came in it was a mess, cockroaches and other stuff everywhere, dirty, etc.
    We cleaned it up, painted it (while sleeping on an old dirty bed-mattress that we had covered up with 2 blankets to be able to sleep on it).
    So my mom left and I was left alone.
    Few days later I got itchy bites on legs/feet/arms. My mom had no visible signs or disturbances when I had called her. Needless to say my skin is quite sensitive to alergic reactions, had eczema all the time as a child and take anti-histamines during blooming seasons.
    I didn't know what was wrong, so I decided to look under the mattress...
    I found out black spots and shed skin I presume, loads of dust and hair.
    I tossed out the mattress and started googling, bed bugs blabla, got super hysteric called an exterminator, came in and sprayed with some steamy thing that smelled(I guess that's a good thing right? Chemicals..kill the bugs)...
    After 1 day of staying at a friend's house, came back, cleaned a bit, slept on the couch. (Mattress was gone)
    It was fine, then my new mattress came, bed's crevices were cleaned out by me with clorine spray.
    I slept a few days on the new bed was fine, then the itching came back(psychological or not)
    Found out in the meanwhile that the sockets for the electric devices were shaky and decided to take a look inside, found out some disgusting bug remains there, no idea what it was, I presumed bed bugs and called another exterminator+cleaner guy with superduper vacuum cleaners.(spent alot of money..)
    So they came and did their thing, I also found by then a dead beige - light brown flat, oval thing dead, on the bed planks (spray worked from first guy). After that I was washing all my clothes and keeping them in plastic bags sealed , then ironed everything, was hell...
    Then I presumed I had more bugs(psychological trauma...?) had itches and stuff, but all that went away after a few weeks of saying to myself. ..''NO PROOF NO BUGS RELAX''.
    The end

Part 2
    Came back after summer holidays(Sep 2013), stayed at that flat again for a few days till I moved to the new place.
    new flat had also furniture , old bed, etc. I tossed the mattresses and ordered a new bed+mattress. The old one had no markings or spots or shells...
    I called an exterminator to the new flat to check for bugs, and spray for cockroaches cuz it had an issue with those.
    And while he was here he said he can't see anything that leads to bed bugs...-OK...
    So i moved in, bed came, started sleeping,..few days later I got mysterious bites on arms, hands, neck...
    Nightmare returns? Something else
    For all this I attach loads of pics in the link
    They are in chronological order.
    First ones are from old flat, the PCOs(2nd one) doing their thing, some pics of bugs..
    I don't know kinda stressed out and want your opinion on whether the new bites I get are BB, is it easy for them to hitch a ride from my old flat?( I don't know if I got rid of them 100% but didn't seem to have bites there from Oct2012-Sep2013..)
    AAAAAAAAA PANIC-.-
    pictures @postimg

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 10:58:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Nothing in those images confirms anything other than:

Earwigs
    Roaches
    A fair amount of cleaning is needed

I would get on with the cleaning having read the FAQ's on confirming signs and useful tools section for things that will help you but there is nothing bedbug related in those images.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 11:04:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your fast reply. I did find a dead one but didn't take a pic last year.
    Those black things on the old bed(last year flat) aren't those bed bug poop?

4. Nemo

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 11:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspect you never had bed bugs. You never had an expert positively ID one, right?

The crud in the electric outlets is German cockroach droppings and discarded egg casings. Mom produces a tube-shaped egg case about a centimeter long at most. She carries this until the eggs hatch and the nymphs emerge, then drops it. They usually split in half lengthwise, so those thin papery things that look kind of like razor clam shells mean ROACHES.

The flecks on the bed frame... I'm no expert but they don't look like bed bug droppings. Bed bugs like to hide in crevices, this is smack out in the open. I would be inclined to think that's roach-related as well, though other insects and spiders are a possibility.

Roaches produce a pretty potent allergen, and are well known for causing asthma attacks. I suspect they could be giving you a rash, since you've had eczema, though I don't think this is typical. I agree some deep cleaning is a good start.

5. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Mon Oct 14 2013 12:22:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all will keep monitoring =P Hope the psycho itch will go away as I'm quite a hypochondriac...

6. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 18 2013 17:36:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Shameless bump but where can I get those passive climb up monitors in EUROPE? ;/
    British amazon only has those others that are passive-stick on somewhere.
    I think climb up is better

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Oct 19 2013 5:23:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

To clear up some terminology here:

Passive Monitor = specific product ( developed by me) to specifically monitor and not trap.
    Climb up = specific brand of interception device used to isolate furniture from bedbug access.

There are other interception devices on sale I the EU, not sure about amazon but eBay is feasible for most. Just be careful as there are a lot of rubbish products out there and in general glue based solutions are not very effective other than as random traps.

I have written more on the definition of products on BedBugBeware.com

Hope that helps.

David

8. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Oct 19 2013 19:58:13
    #

Login to Send PM

The only climb up trap i see costs 50 bucks+40bucks delivery from the US...which is a bit much, (plus customs in greece)

9. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 22 2013 6:09:38
    #

Login to Send PM

well regardless of traps, today I found out new ''signs'' I don't know what it is really but it seems like BB molt skin...also over the week I had gathered every spec and abnormal little spot I found on my bed/sheets(white ones).
    needless to say today was the worst day regarding itching, it was better the last week...(back, stomach, shoulders,arms, (elbow on the inner side),face above eyebrows, neck to torso area)

here are new pics...
    kinda wishing its something else.
    PICS

10. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 22 2013 6:20:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

With regards isolation devices the Bed Moat brand is more widely distributed in the EU.

With regards the images please see the post about images, without using FlickR we cant get to all the finer detail. You also need to understand that focus is always best at 90 degrees to the subject.

From what I can see there is nothing bedbug related there. There may be some carpet beetle larva but sadly they are in the part of the shot that is out of focus. If you research them on the forum you may find the answer to what is causing the skin irritation.

David

11. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 22 2013 6:25:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply, do carpet beetles leave black spots on bed too?
    Also do these black spots smell of anything?
    Ill try take a new pic...dont know why my phone is acting up its 12 MP too..

12. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 22 2013 6:30:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Black spots and not something that is notedly associated with them but to be blunt for a second I did say read up on them rather than just fire back questions about them. Its akin to feed a person or teach them to fish. I am trying to get you to better understand the process of confirming things here so you can weigh up the evidence at your end.

There is no way you could have read any of the documents in the time between posts.

As for "if black spots smell" well that would depend upon two factors:

• What the spots are made from
    • How good your sense of smell is

However as smell is subjective you will not find much written about it in relation to marks, only the overall smell of bedbug infestations.

David

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Oct 22 2013 9:58:45
    #

Login to Send PM

The pictures are not bad, but actually once you look at the largest image (click on image and largest one is shown), the larva is out of focus. Sometimes it's best not to let the camera autofocus, but set it to manual. Also set to macro and get as close as possible so the unknown creature takes up a large portion of the viewer. Not sure if the one pale colored creature with a darker head is a denuded dermestid beetle larva.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  14. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 24 2013 4:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

A bite on my arm + new pics on bed+sheets what look like smears...(itchiness continues on the back+chess+buttocks)

15. Nemo

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 24 2013 11:27:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Are the roaches gone? How's the cleaning going? Roach allergen is not easy to remove, if you still have roaches and haven't been cleaning frequently if you're allergic that could be an ongoing problem.

I don't do bed bug fecal stain ID because I'm like, "Yep, looks like a dark splotch." So someone else can help you there. Appearance of bumps is rarely useful in IDing the cause (an exception is an amazing shingles rash someone posted here a few months ago).

16. greeceathens

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 24 2013 13:44:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Roaches are from the previous flat, I was in last year. This one has no roaches in wal sockets or anything.
    It has a wooden floor with cracks and had some mosquitoes earlier when it was warmer. Now they are gone.
    Only getting bites and weird brown looking molts on my bed everyday...
    And those black spots.
    I've filled the cracks in the wood floor with D.E (light brown-white powder) and sprayed some in the cracks, around bed etc
    I was my sheets everyday (white ones) and iron them after.
    Bites have been getting better since I filled the room with D.E tho (4 days ago I DIY DE-d the room lol)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,684 posts in 49,527 topics over 153 months by 21,699 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982