Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Laptops and DE earth and dry ice?

(5 posts)
  1. quitestressed

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 20:04:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm relatively new to posting but I have been on the site before and searched through many of the posts here. Now I have bedbugs in my apartment building and soon they entered my apartment. I usually spend almost of my time in a couch chair in the living room where I noticed that I started to get bites on my arms and legs and then I saw the bed bugs. So now, I've sprayed and covered most of the room in DE Earth, put trays of oil under the legs of the chairs and what not. I happen to also sleep in the living room on a pull out couch. After spreading the DE earth around, I was lounging on the pull out (Where I never noticed any blood spots or fecal spots or ever seen a beg bug on it) and I started scratching my leg and noticed a cluster of bites. I can be a paranoid person who I don't know if it's actual bed bug bites or my body somehow produced them but I usually had my laptop on the couch chair that was effected and now I was on the bed with the laptop too. I haven't seen anything on the laptop but I still feel uneasy. I'm thinking that maybe I could sprinkle some DE earth on the laptop, on the keys and in the openings. Is this little experiment something people would avoid doing? Can DE earth damage the laptop or effect it in a negative way? I understand that the DE can take awhile to kill bed bugs but could the bed bugs escape from the couches, bypass the DE and hit the bed? Also, I read about this experiment where a scientist(?) used dry ice to get the buggies into a little trap of a bowl with a rag draped over it and the rag was coated with talcum powder so the buggies would smell the CO2 and travel up the rag and wouldn't be able to get out the bowl because the sides were slippery. Does it work? I read it's used in bed bug detection now. Where could you buy dry ice in NYC or online? Any responses are deeply appreciated!

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 20:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If you "covered most of the room" this is not a safe use of DE. It is very dangerous for your lungs and can also affect your skin (drying, perhaps causing itching).

Please do some reading about safe use of DE (the FAQ on DE here is a start.

You should seek advice from an expert about how to remove an over application of DE safely.

Also, we have FAQs on various aspects of bed bug detection, treatment, etc., including one on the dry ice monitor. Search in the forums search box at top right for posts on the dry ice monitor. Some link to instructions.

For what it's worth, someone in NJ found it cost more to run than a commerically available CO2 monitor like the Bed bug Beacon, due to costs and short storage life of dry ice, which can be difficult to obtain.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 20:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Do not treat your laptop with DE... Dust is harmful for computers and hard drives.

De should only be applied in cracks, crevices and void areas of a living area... Do not place DE in locations where it can be disturbed and become airborne... We don't want to inhale DE or get it in our eyes.

DE actually works better when it is applied lightly... Thin coats like sprinkling salt on your food rather than dumping it in thick piles.

Damp methods can remove DE from hard surfaces safely... like wet paper towels.

4. quitestressed

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 20:33:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I noticed that the DE had a "smell" to do it so I started to air out the room but I guess I'll just stay out of the room for a day or so and then start being bait for the bugs again. I noticed it dried out the skin too, maybe that made me itch and I gave myself something of blisters but its been a few hours since then and the bites are still there. I covered the areas with bed bugs in a thin layer of the DE and I asked the person I bought the DE from if you can use it as a spray and she said yes, so I diluted it in water and sprayed it on the floor which left a residue on the floor. Can the DE spray cause lung problems too? I guess if the bugs don't reduce in the next month or so, then I'll get the landlord and discuss professional help with him and then address the use of DE in combination with them and how to address the bugs if they're in the laptop. Thank you, Nobugsonme for telling me about the DE and linking me to the FAQ!

5. quitestressed

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Jul 29 2012 20:35:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for that tip with the DE and the laptop, DougSummersMS.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081