Laptop Infestation

(5 posts)
  1. madribub

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 15:35:49
    #

Login to Send PM

I saw a couple bedbugs come out of my laptop in the last few days since my move. It was the one thing I didn't put in my packtite.

My question is how could I treat this? I don't think I could do Vikane treatment, so instead I was opting for taking it apart from the screws and cleaning the sucker. I'm not much of a techie, so I'd like to know if others have done this. Has anyone run their laptop through the packtite?

Thank you.

2. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 15:39:46
    #

Login to Send PM

There have been extensive discussions about de-infesting laptops before. Try searching the fora for those posts.

Short version: you couldn't pay me enough to run my laptop through a Packtite. Temps like that plus electronic devices with or without power sources (i.e. batteries) seem like a very bad combination. I had my apartment treated with thermal, and all the costly damage was to electronic devices. Unless you're planning to chuck this laptop in two months anyway, I wouldn't risk it.

Vikane is an option, although finding someplace willing to Vikane one item that small may not be possible.

DDVP strips are also an option--if used safely (in a totally airtight container and for an appropriate length of time to avoid corrosion problems).

3. madribub

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 15:41:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So the question now is how do I get my hands on something like DDVP?

4. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 20:57:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Madridub: What part of the lap top were they coming out of: the keyboard? a plug? a vent?

My advice as a techie but not a PCO would be to buy a can of compressed air or air dust and follow these instructions (over a trash can, clean table or outside perhaps, in case a bed bug DOES come out)
    http://video.about.com/mobileoffice/How-to-Clean-Your-Laptop.htm
    http://video.about.com/mobileoffice/Clean-a-Laptop-Keyboard.htm

Mostly, I am recommending the compressed air and dirt removal, not the cleaner sections, although thats good too.

After that, isolate the laptop in a ziplock. Maybe use the ddvp.

5. soscared

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 26 2010 21:36:25
    #

Login to Send PM

What laptop is it? I can tell you that I ran my Dell Latitude D430 through the Packtite several times without any damage. BUT I AM NOT SAYING YOU WILL NOT HAVE DAMAGE. YOUR LAPTOP MAY GET DAMAGED.
    Just saying, if you have a Latitude D430, it might not, and mine did not.
    But please don't take my words to mean yours won't.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,305 posts in 50,167 topics over 155 months by 21,928 of 22,425 members. Latest: xterra888, MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies