Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Landlords who only want to save mone/keep bb out of babies room?

(23 posts)
  1. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 12:46:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello,
    I'm a full-time stay at home mom of 12 year old twins and 18 month old twins.
    First I want to tell you about my situation. We moved into this 4 bed 2 bath all wood floors house at the beginning of fall 2018. We were starting fresh, new beds, new everything. We got both my older twins and ourselves new mattresses and box springs. The babies kept the same cribs and mattresses. We have the whole house except for the basement. The basement it a 1 bedroom apartment that a employee of our landlord lived in and b4 him a man who let a lot of his homeless friends sleep over and had a lot of mattresses in there. I didn't know any of this b4 moving in.
    A few weeks after we moved in, I noticed there was an exterminator outside. I went out to find out what was going on. HE WAS SPRAYING FOR BEDBUGS! Bur he told me the landlord had told him there was a fire wall ceiling between us and that apt and that bb couldn't get through it. My oldest daughter had been bitten by something a few days ago but no one else had been bitten by anything and she hadn't been bitten again. I didn't completely trust the story of the fire wall, so I sprayed and vacuumed everything. I continued to keep look out for bugs and bu
    Bites. But nothing. Until a about 3 weeks ago the same daughter was bit with same pattern, 3 red welts in a triangle shape. A week later her twin brother had bites too. I sent them to their dads after a shower and clothes from the dryer and informed him so he could look. I didn't know about everything to look for, like poop on white sheets, or i would have noticed sooner. The landlord wants to use the same exterminator as last time because it's cheap. I know now they can travel through wires and piping and the exterminator was wrong last time. And once again the landlord isn't going to have the whole building done. It's all unfinished hardwood floors too. I am so irate with our landlord and the exterminator! I have found a cpl adult bb and 3 nymphs in my bedding. My bf took off the fabric under our box spring and he found a cluster. We killed most of the ones we found and bagged a cpl to show the exterminator.
    Also I'm either the only one getting bit or the only one who's left having a reaction to it. But worse than that I can't sleep. I feel like they are crawling all over me all day and worse at night. I'm trying to get everything washed/dryer and bagged up while taking care of 2-18 month old babies and their dad goes to work comes home and kicks his shoes off puts his feet up and is on his phone relaxing for the rest of the night! He thinks I've gone crazy and that I need to "just calm down". Ive been ising a clothes steamer on beds and couch and area rugs plus vacuuming everything. So far I've only found one poop Mark on one baby sheet. My room and the couch area are the worst.
    I'm scared and freaked all the time. How can I keep bb from infesting the babies room which is right next to the laundry room? Also how can I make my landlord see the mistakes he's making are going to cost him way more in the long run?

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 12:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, if indeed this was built as a rental unit or renovated as such then there should be fire caulk around any penetration, so going by your basic description I think he's being honest.
    Never, ever assume you have bed bugs solely on "bites." and the triangle or three in a row or however you hear that myth, it's just not true. They are insects, they feed, they don't use tools or make patterns.
    Hardwood floors are infinitely easier to deal with and far less bed bug friendly than carpeting, you should be happy about your flooring.

You've found no solid evidence indicating bed bugs in your home and the landlord is clearly willing to treat; sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

3. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:13:22
    #

Login to Send PM

I have found 2 adult and 3 nymphs bb in my beadding and my white sheets have their poop stains on them. My bf took off the fabric under our box spring and found a cluster. We killed the ones we found and bagged a couple to show the exterminator.

4. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:16:02
    #

Login to Send PM

I should have put that in the initial post, I'm just so tired.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:25:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Post those images and I'll have a look. Out of the bag works better.

6. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:40:59
    #

Login to Send PM

7. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:44:00
    #

Login to Send PM

8. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 13:47:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure how to post a pic on here. I'm trying to figure it out now

9. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Use a host site and post the link, I can tidy it up if it doesn't post right.

10. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:13:19
    #

Login to Send PM

11. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:14:01
    #

Login to Send PM

12. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:16:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I posted a link to a few of my pics above. Im too terrified to take it out of bag.

13. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:22:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Okay, it looks like an adult female that's fed a few days ago. The landlord is going to treat your home when?

14. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:31:02
    #

Login to Send PM

He said he will call the exterminator today but he also said he was gonna call last Thursday but didn't.

15. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 14:54:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm just freaking out! I dry all our bedding everyday and only use the whitest sheets we have. I won't even sit down in the living room. I've been going through trash bags like crazy. And how do i know for sure my home dryer is even killing them? Or what if one falls off the ceiling on to clean clothes as I put them in the bags? Or fall off me as I reach into dryer to get clothes out? The babies aren't sleeping like they usually do, maybe because of bites or maybe because they can sense my stress. What should I dress them in during the day to keep bites from happening? At night I've been putting them in footie pajamas but then they could get bit on the face.

16. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 15:05:44
    #

Login to Send PM

If I overload the dryer will it still kill them and their eggs? Long shirts and pants during the day or short clothes (Because they have trouble clinging to bare skin and also then they might not hang out in the clothes ur wearing)?

17. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 15:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Can they climb into or out of trash bags? Does it matter what color bags i use?

18. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 15:15:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Can they climb into or out of trash bags? Does it matter what color bags i use? Im having a lot of trouble dealing with this. Not ro mention taking care of babies who need 24/7 supervision and trying to de-clutter, clean, and bag everything we own. I'm so irrationally terrified of these bugs that for a while I was afraid to pick the babies up just in case they had one on them or I had one on me that could get to them. My bf won't be vigilant about changing his clothes so I back away any Tim he gets to close to me. I feel like I'm running in place to get to California from maine.

19. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 15:24:34
    #

Login to Send PM

BBwTWINSx2 - 21 minutes ago  » 
    I'm just freaking out! I dry all our bedding everyday and only use the whitest sheets we have. I won't even sit down in the living room. I've been going through trash bags like crazy. And how do i know for sure my home dryer is even killing them? Or what if one falls off the ceiling on to clean clothes as I put them in the bags? Or fall off me as I reach into dryer to get clothes out? The babies aren't sleeping like they usually do, maybe because of bites or maybe because they can sense my stress. What should I dress them in during the day to keep bites from happening? At night I've been putting them in footie pajamas but then they could get bit on the face.

No need to dry your bedding daily, that a lot of work.
    White sheets don't matter, fecal staining is most often found near rigid or semi-rigid areas like the bottom piping on a mattress or the edges of a box spring.
    If your home dryer is capable of actually drying a wet load of clothes then it's certainly able to kill a bed bug.
    What if one falls off the ceiling onto clean clothes that you are currently folding to put into storage? That sounds like a Rube Goldberg drawing for some outlandish machine.
    Or falls off of you into the clothing that you're removing from the dryer? They're not on you.
    All of your family is reading your stress, especially your children, it's no surprise that their sleeping patterns are disturbed.
    During the day, unless they're hanging out in bed or on the couch it shouldn't matter, Speedo or suit of armor, it's all the same.

Stop guessing and listen to the technician that inspects your place on Thursday; if you assume that he doesn't know what he's doing before he even sets foot in your place this will not be a good experience.

20. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 17:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Twins,
    I can feel your frantic state of mind as I read your posts and my heart goes out to you. I'm sure your motherly instincts are probably going on overdrive adding to your anxiety too. Let me start by saying that you're not crazy. You're reacting like a lot of people do when they first discover bed bugs including myself. It takes a while to collect yourself together and assess the situation. Initially, it feels completely overwhelming and it's easy to get pessimistic and think you're going to be fighting these things for a year or even longer but when you start reading experiences where people were kind enough to come back and actually give the end of their story, you'll see that in the far majority of the cases, when they are discovered within the first few months before they number in the thousands and haven't spread out, your odds of success are very good within a month or two. After your first treatment, the bites will drop drastically and then it will just be a few weeks of trying to get rid of the last stragglers and newly hatched eggs. You have to stop thinking in terms of trying to prevent EVERY SINGLE bug from getting past you. That's an impossible task. You're not going to be able to wash every garment and kill every bug in the first shot. The more realistic approach is to try measure your ongoing progress and keep reducing their numbers and giving them less and less places to be comfortable and multiply. It doesn't require perfection, just being cautious and patient. You're going to get professional help so you don't need to do this on your own. You just need to cooperate with them to get the job done. They will usually put down some residual spray or dust that will keep killing bugs even after they've left. If some dodge the treatment, they will eventually come out to feed and even though they might get a meal in and you have to suffer a few bites, they're going to die while trying until there's no more. Getting bit is very unpleasant, especially if you're like me and swell up and itch like crazy. However, it's not dangerous and it's a temporary inconvenience while they're dying off. The most important thing you can do is try to keep life as "normal" as possible for you and your family. Yes, there will be bags and furniture moved around nervous nights but don't focus on that stuff. Keep doing what you enjoy and try to get out of the house regularly with the kids to have little getaways to reduce your stress. Talk to friends and family about stuff besides bed bugs all the time. And before you know it, you are going to start seeing the effects and realizing the days without bites/sightings are more and more until you have trouble remembering when the last was that you saw one. Then you can start counting down the days till you declare victory. And in the end, you'll be a stronger person for it and have a cleaner more organized home and some life lessons learned. So take a deep breath and take one step at a time. You'll get through this.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  21. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Mon Feb 4 2019 20:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much for your responses. BigDanny, you sound a lot like my boyfriend did the first few nights we dealt with this. He was kinda laughing at me and stating facts. He couldn't understand my irrational fear, for him it's mind over matter. I can do mind over matter with most things, including pain, but even though I've been non-stop reading/watching videos about bed bugs, their behavior and how to get through it I can't seem to get over it. Now my bf is just fed up with me obsessing and is worried that "I'm not going to be able to move on from this." I am trying though. When I feel little stinging sensations and think I'm being bit or it feels like they are crawling all over me, I try to tell myself that they are not on me and that it's just an old bite that is just now starting to itch. Some facts do give me Pease of mind for a little while.
    SulsaVince, what your saying gives me hope! I really do need to spend some time just playing with my kids and get out of my own head for a bit. I'm going to take your advice and talk to family about something other than bed bugs. One task at a time sounds good lol. I've been frantically throwing everything into bags, but today I stopped, got organized and now have a system to work by. I already feel a bit better, and I can walk through my laundry room again.

22. BBwTWINSx2

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 12:30:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still wondering if there's anything else I can do to prevent bb from invading the babies room? Also my landlord was supposed to call the exterminator last Thurs, then said he'd call yesterday but once again didn't. I talked with him this morning and am waiting to hear back. I found 3 in my bed last night when I got in at 4 am. But instead of the craziness of drying all the bedding, steaming and vacuuming this morning, I spent some time playing and reading books with my babies.
    My boyfriend doesn't want me to tell ppl we have bb, but I feel like it's my responsibility to do so especially if they are coming over or we go there. He's afraid of the stigma that goes with it, whereas I could care less about the stigma and would want to be told if it were one of my friends. What do you think about making it public knowledge of only telling ppl you are planning to be around.?

23. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Tue Feb 5 2019 13:09:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Glad you're taking some time away from bed bugs throughout the day. Some have said that scheduling a time each day to worry about them and treat/clean works well and in between that time, you have to push out the anxious thoughts until the next scheduled time slot.
    So to address some of your concerns, to reduce the risk of spreading the bugs into new places, especially the babies room, change their clothes before putting them in bed. Have certain clothes and blankets that are reserved for their bedroom and stick to those. That way, you don't bring anything in from the outside since you have them in your living room too. I would recommend that for your own bedroom too even though you already have them there. It's a way of quarantining off each room. Secondly, if you are still finding multiple bugs in your bed each night, there's got to be another harborage nearby where they are hiding out. Hopefully the exterminator comes out soon and inspects. In the mean time, you could check the bed frame. They love to hide in screw holes and joints so it would be good to actually take the bed apart. The steamer would get into those tight spots better than just a spray bottle would. Check behind the frames hanging on the wall near the bed and behind the nightstands. Just avoid moving furniture around to other places in the room or outside of the room because that could make them spread. If you can find their hiding spots and steam them and the eggs like that spot you found under your box spring, you will really knock down their numbers.
    As far as talking to people about it, you should put yourself in their shoes. If someone invited you over to their house and ended up with an infestation, wouldn't you be upset with them? It's considerate to warn people before them come over that they should dry their clothes when they go home and not bring in any bags. They should sit on dining room chairs or folding chairs away from where you've found bugs. During this early stage of your fight before treatment, I would discourage visitors. When you leave home, always wear clean clothes right out of a bag. Friends and family might not judge you as being dirty like the stigma, but they WILL be afraid and nervous around you. It's embarrassing and hurts but it's understandable. The more they see your efforts in being cautious and the results of your treatment, the more they will lower their guard with you over time. It's good to have support if you can find someone to listen, but remember, don't talk bed bugs EVERY time you talk to them. That's not healthy for you or them.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

287,541 posts in 47,911 topics over 148 months by 21,107 of 21,446 members. Latest: nyc-bedbugs, needhelp1111, urka1234