Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Reader questions (do not fit into other categories)

Kleen Free--anyone used it/know where to get it in NYC?

(5 posts)
  1. deadbugs

newbite

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 14:27:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Been reading about this enzyme spray; can anyone out there tell me if they've used it, and where I can find the stuff in NYC???

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 19:45:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Not sure where to get it in a store. Most people seem to get it mail order.
    There's a link to buy it online here:
    http://bedbugger.com/usefulstuff

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Bencannon

Posted 12 years ago
    Thu Oct 11 2007 21:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme, what's the different between Kleen Free and SteriFab?

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 2:29:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Kleen Free (and the newer formulation from the same company, Kleen Green) are "enzyme cleaners". They function as contact killers only--that means if you spray a bed bug with these products, the bed bug will be killed.

Steri-fab is an alcohol-based contact killer that also contains a synthetic pyrethroid and a dual quat.

And 91% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is also a contact killer.

The problem, as you know, is that we can't be sure and spray the bed bugs directly. So these can be useful for bed bugs that might be on a surface. It is helpful if you are inspecting, to have something handy to kill bugs you might encounter.

But it is not going to do the whole job.

You might want to use steri-fab or 91% alcohol, but kleen free/kleen green might be less harmful to some substances (as they don't appear to contain alcohol). Apparently KG/KF work as cleaners quite well, so it has a use beyond the bed bug days.

Oh, and Murphy's Oil Soap cleaner (spray or concentrate) is also a contact killer, as some readers discovered. I believe an entomologist, Lou Sorkin, confirmed this; the active ingredient is d-limonene. (Other orange oil based cleaners may work as well as they likely contain d-limonene.) Obviously, this is most useful on wooden bed frames or maybe wood floors. But cheap and nice to know. Make sure you use the right product for your surface--be cautious, etc.

(We have links to all these contact killers on the useful stuff page linked above.)

5. persona-non-bugga

Posted 12 years ago
    Fri Oct 12 2007 9:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Steri-fab contains a pyrethroid - an insecticide - as well as a hospital-strength disinfectant. Even though the application is ineffective after it dries, the pyrethroid would keep me from spraying it on anything that might come in contact with human or pet mouths. Children's toys, for example.

I think kleen-free works by breaking down organic matter. (Why it doesn't noticeably break down our skin when it makes contact with it - I don't know.) It was traditionally used for getting rid of blood, waste stains, etc. The enzymes that do the work are reported as biodegradable and non-toxic.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,240 posts in 50,145 topics over 155 months by 21,921 of 22,417 members. Latest: plsnopls, Ldrago, frustrated1970