Killing bed bugs in moving vans

(5 posts)
  1. HateBBs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Mar 28 2010 21:24:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I had bed bugs a couple of years ago, and, thankfully, I've not had them since then. I will be moving shortly, but I am very concerned after reading that many moving vans in NYC, be they used by professionals or rented by the general public, have bed bugs.

How to I kill any potential bed bugs in a moving van I might rent? It would be terrible to get my stuff infested in a moving van and then bring them into my new apartment. Please advise. Thank you.

2. HateBBs

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Mar 29 2010 23:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

To clarify, I am not talking about treating bed bug infected items in a moving van. My belongings are bed bug free, and I'm worried about picking up bed bugs in an already-infested moving van. I live in NYC, so I'm not shocked to hear that many moving vans in NYC have bed bugs lurking. Thank you again.

3. bitebedbugsback

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 30 2010 9:40:51
    #

Login to Send PM

The only thing I can think of is to have the van treated, either before you pack it, or even after you pack it just to be safe. I'm not sure how much that would cost, though, and if you'd be willing to spend the money to do that.

4. BugsInTO

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Mar 30 2010 10:49:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi -
    There was another post about moving blankets. (Can't find it right now.)

I believe another poster determined that moving blankets can be part of the problem and arranged with their moving company to supply their own.

The idea of having the truck Vikaned or heat treated is a great idea. But, since your items are clear now, you would be paying an extra expense to ensure the truck provided by the company was clear and that seems so unfair. But, trucks are in constant use, I don't know how they could make any guarantees.

As always, move as little as possible. Seal everything shut - double-bagged plastic bags, sealed containers etc. Unpack carefully. Put all the boxes in the center of the room and ring with DE. Maybe wipe down the hard furniture and vacuum the sofa etc. upon arrival.

Moving is exhausting without adding this extra work and extra stress. Do the best you can, and be extra vigilent with monitoring after you move to make sure you catch anything as early as possible.

Good luck and I send you my wishes for a successful move.

5. LavenderLove05

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat May 1 2010 12:25:41
    #

Login to Send PM

what is DE?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,413 posts in 50,189 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams