KillerQueen Strikes Again

(12 posts)
  1. Galileo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Apr 18 2012 19:56:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Or rather, rules out the need to strike at all, thereby solving my problem! Here's my story:

Started about two months ago with bites or lesions on my arms, neck, etc. Cleaned my cluttered apt. in a frenzy, then had the BB prep co., Bed Bug Busters NY, (highly efficient and recommended) come in and do a mammoth three-day organizing and bagging job. Then had a reputable PCO (Broadway Exterminating) come in with their K9. The dog pointed (repeatedly) to one spot under my mattress (or futon which lies directly on a built-in platform). Contrary to what I've since learned from the experts on this site is best practise, they did not attempt to confirm with a careful search for physical evidence. They recommended, and I proceeded with two treatments.

By then, my research had lead me to believe I probably did not have BB's. There may have been some stains on my bedding, but in my initial panic I had laundered or tossed it. I finally contacted the KQ . His associate Bobby came down in short order and performed their usual and very thorough search. The upshot - no sign of BB's. Other things, but not BB's.

If you're in NYC and think you've got these critters, I'd have these boys in ASAP, to rule BB's in or out. In my case, I could have saved myself almost two months of agony and thousands of dollars in expense. They're knowledgeable and professional. As John will tell you, in a significant percentage of cases (even when K9's show positive) people turn out to be BB-free. I'm very grateful to the KQ and Bobby for freeing me from BB purgatory.

Best wishes to all, who are contending with bed bugs, real or imaginary!

Galileo

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Apr 18 2012 20:19:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Great information...do you happen to know what caused the bites/lesion marks? A lot of people just won't believe that it's not BBs.

I have long term skin issues and so, for example, yesterday a big bright red circle just appeared near my neck area for a couple of hours (about 1 inch or so in diameter). I'll never know, but I may have accidently rubbed an allergen near it (cat hair, dust mite remnants, etc).

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. Galileo

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Apr 18 2012 20:29:58
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm still trying to dope that out. I've had problems with carpet beetles and mice recently. So I'm thinking it may be some kind of rodent mites or the CB "hairs" that are know to cause irritation. If I'm able to get a definitive determination of the cause I'll post it.

Good luck.

Galileo

4. edtt

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Apr 18 2012 21:41:42
    #

Login to Send PM

wow what an experience Galileo!
    So glad that it was not bb's, too bad it was such a tough road to get there.
    We are still trying to ascertain our "mystery bites"
    on myself and our 2 girls, the hubby remains clear......
    no evidence, so it is either a few or none at all.

We are having a dog inspection on the 30th.
    such a horrible experiance isn't it.
    cross fingers for us

(wish killer queen was close to us, think Canada is too far of a commute?

5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 19 2012 2:53:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the kind words Galileo!!

I'm glad we were able to help you. The public truly has no idea how often they are falsely confirmed based on bogus K9 inspections. Certified or not, on average we work behind 7-10 K9's a week and find that people are being told they have bugs when in fact they don't.

I'll challenge the 95-98% accuracy in the field any day of the week, behind any team in the country.

Best of luck!! I replied to your private message as well.

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 19 2012 8:51:20
    #

Login to Send PM

It comes down to the canine training and the canine & handler training and re-training which includes visual verification if at all possible. A positive alert and no visual verification can be labeled as a positive alert and no visual verification rather than a 100% positive bed bug infestation. Handlers have to use training aids that are live bed bugs and not dirty hides full of live and dead bed bugs, shed skins, eggs, bed bug waste because they are simply training their k9 to alert to active and inactive infestations not purely live infestations. Proofing off of any other odor (artifact, dead bugs, other non-bed bug insects, plastic vials, etc.) is also extremely important.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. diesel

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 19 2012 15:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

You are a good man KQ, that is awesome that someone is honest and really wants to help people, I have heard other cases of this as well. I know the problem is bad out there with real cases, but to use the power of fear against someone is awful. In these hard economic times, money is tight and BB treatments are not cheap. Thanks for being an honest guy.

8. diesel

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 19 2012 15:08:08
    #

Login to Send PM

PS. I also think this serves as a reminder of what the PCO's and experts say on here, find someone reputable. I have heard KQ, David, Lou, Bed Bugman, and so many others including the K9 guys talking about it over an over, find someone who knows their stuff and cares. Thanks to all of you guys.

9. killdienow

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Apr 25 2012 17:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

in the last 4 months i read posts like these and NEVER thought id be the person tobhave had th same issue. NOR did I think Id believe it if someone told me that was the case.
    Enter KillerQueen: tells me the bugs I had were misidentified. i never had them!
    still in shock! just confirmed with lou sarkin at amnh as well. "odd beetles"

nyers! call killerqueen!

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 26 2012 3:45:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a misspelling. It's Sorkin

11. killdienow

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Apr 26 2012 9:23:45
    #

Login to Send PM

sorry lou! i knew that! and make lots of typos on my phone but that might have been a brain flop!

12. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Sun Apr 29 2012 8:14:27
    #

Login to Send PM

Good points regarding the hides Lou.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,319 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto