Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Killerqueen and other pro's, question about climb up's, early detection

(2 posts)
  1. Livingagain

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 9:18:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you guys believe that climb ups actually will catch low-level infestations? In your experience do people catch things early by having climb ups on their beds?

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Nov 12 2016 13:08:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Personally no we don't use them.

We tested the isolation approach in 2007 and then went on to develop a different strategy. Our side by side study actually showed that isolation usually resulted in more treatments to clear and thus longer infestation duration's.

While appreciate that this is practically blasphemy in the US to take this approach you will find its extremely common in the rest of the world. The reality is that its not a new approach and looking back to patent applications from the 1850's you see extremely similar approaches being made. As these devices where cast metal it is reasonable to assume that if they were mass market items we would see more of them about, we don't, in fact I have searched and never found one.

I personally follow a "work with the bed bugs natural behavior" approach, a method we have used since 2009 and which I have written about in the new academic review of bed bugs to be published in 2017. We use this approach to detect issues before guest are aware of them in commercial settings and adjunct our reactive treatments by using them as QA / QC devices.

However, one of the key reasons why it works over isolation is that it is maintenance free. You don't need to clean, you don't need to re-dust we even have clients who use the system who are registered blind because technically you can substitute looking at them for feeling the faecal traces.

In the UK there is an old saying "never leave an outside coat on the bed". This reflects how people transferred bed bugs into their homes and if not careful right onto the bed. The modern equivalent is often to sit on the edge of the bed while you take your shoes off. In some homes this pattern is so clear we tell people they do it rather than ask. In such situations isolating the bed would never help because they have already been dropped off inside the moat.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,426 posts in 49,258 topics over 152 months by 21,589 of 22,012 members. Latest: Scaredandworried, Ddukes, acidburn