Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Kill bugs with DYI infrared shirting board heater?

(6 posts)
  1. TheCreativeHunter

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 2:48:04
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a visit by a professional bug exterminator as I suspected bed bugs. Luckily he was pretty sure it was false alarm. But I have a friend that have them.

The exterminator mentioned that the major exterminator companies in Sweden use different methods. A bit worrying I think, they are obviously not that sure how to handle this now when many pesticide are forbidden or the bed bugs got resistant. He told me they begin to get resistant against diatomaceous earth as well :S

He told that one difference is that some cracks the shirting boards and spread diatomaceous earth. Lots of trouble and costly to restore. But others use some sort of special heater on the shirting boards without cracking them.

This makes me wonder if I could build one myself and if that would work?

Using a hot air gun would likely work to reach the temperature. But it would require to move it very very slowly so that the heat is in the same spot enough time for the heat to get from the surface into the wall side of the shirting board and maybe longer if there are cracks in the wall where they hide.

So this got me thinking, why not use one of those cheap long and thin infrared heaters used for patios? I would still have to move it but could let it be in the same spot a few minutes, move it, wait, move..... should be a lot easier compared to a hot air gun.

The distance could regulate the heat but if too far it heats up the wall and floor too much. But too close it might be too hot. The heaters are usually 1000 W, maybe it is possible to use a diode to cut it in half to 500 W.

I made a sketch found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hawwcy9tnfqcsfg/AAB_9FSuAHpDMZHbWjw9EKdva?dl=0

The first photo is from a failed attempt. I made a mouthpiece spreading hot air from an ordinary 2000 W heat fan. If too close the overheating protector cut the heat. If too far I had a hard time to reach over 50 C or 120 F.

I did search if someone else has came up with this idea using an infrared heater but found nothing. Is this because it is a bad idea?

2. thirdusername

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 2:52:45
    #

Login to Send PM

They will never be resistant to diatomaceous earth.
    Not heating the whole unit at the same time will cause the bugs to move.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  3. TheCreativeHunter

newbite

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 3:10:05
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 6 minutes ago  » 
    They will never be resistant to diatomaceous earth.
    Not heating the whole unit at the same time will cause the bugs to move.

He claimed their exoskeletons is getting thicker and then diatomaceous earth will not be as effective.

Hmm... they are quite quick to move despite being so small, maybe then not such a good idea to use a heater. Should kill the eggs but that is not enough of course

In a small apartment if having two heaters and starting from the same spot moving different directions until meeting again could maybe kill some or force them out on the floor where they can be killed manually (if not so small that hard to see them). But if any cracks where they can run away I guess the battle is lost anyway.

It is so frustrating.... if but just one left alive they will still spread again rather quickly ;(

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 11:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

The research about diatomaceous earth not always being effective is covered in our FAQ on DE.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. Livingagain

Posted 3 weeks ago
    Sun Jan 28 2018 20:57:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you get your hands on some Cimexa?

6. TheCreativeHunter

newbite

Posted 2 weeks ago
    Fri Feb 2 2018 9:19:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Livingagain - 4 days ago  » 
    Can you get your hands on some Cimexa?

No, it seems no one delivers to Sweden

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

270,502 posts in 44,036 topics over 133 months by 19,282 of 19,911 members. Latest: trez1336, Aegis_, paulsinn