K9 questions

(5 posts)
  1. sleeptitesoon

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 21:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

The second part of my beautiful adventure is wondering if I've affected my parents house with my own a bedbug situation. They live in a semi country setting, a big house with lots of wood and linen and rugs.. I stay there in the guest room about two or three nights a month. I was a little alarmed by some of the signs I found there, some markings on the sheet and cast skins, and I had to visual inspections done. Both say they can come up with no signs of bedbugs. But I'm not quite satisfied since I know they can hide in a house like that especially if the room is generally vacant. So I want to bring in a canine, the company I contacted near them says that if the dog signals positive they do not confirm or with a visual inspection. From what I've read on here that's not a good sign. Their price is $400 for the inspection which would be ducted from the $1200 treatment cost. Does anyone have any advice on this who has been through canine inspection before?

2. Canuck

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 21:24:39
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been a k9 handler for 7 years...standard professional best practice is to confirm an alert with physial evidence. Also check the team's accreditation with NESDCA or WDDO.

If a credible team is not available in your area use a passive monitor and/or an active monitor, such as the bed bug beacon or volcano with lure.

Sheree Swindle / certified K9-assisted bed bug inspector
  3. sleeptitesoon

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 25 2017 21:28:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Canuck. They do have the certification. I just find it strange that they won't check for evidence afterwards. I think I'm going to read about the active monitor and try and get that. Need to get to peace of mind here! I will look for forums about the active monitor and also how to get one.

4. Mawiwala

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 26 2017 2:44:33
    #

Login to Send PM

With no visual validation and linked to a treatment you never know if they just play on your fears and want to scam you.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Thu Oct 26 2017 8:35:40
    #

Login to Send PM

sleeptitesoon - 11 hours ago  » 
    Thanks Canuck. They do have the certification. I just find it strange that they won't check for evidence afterwards. I think I'm going to read about the active monitor and try and get that. Need to get to peace of mind here! I will look for forums about the active monitor and also how to get one.

"So I want to bring in a canine, the company I contacted near them says that if the dog signals positive they do not confirm or with a visual inspection."
    Not living up to their certification.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081