Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

K9 inspection - PCO says I can't be in same room as dog: is this normal?

(2 posts)
  1. LSS

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Wed Oct 16 2013 17:57:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi

I am having a k9 inspection from orkin in toronto in my apartment next week... I've gone through 3 chemical treatments - cited one a but about a week and a half ago, though not seemingly bitten for weeks. anyway... it's Orkin, and I was told that I am not allowed to be in the same room the dog is in when inspection is taking place as this distracts the dog... but I want to see how efficient the search is and want to insist on visual inspection... I have a bad feeling that visual inspection will not be taking place - based on my experience of orkin so far... also can't get a straight answer out of them about whether the dogs can or can't smell through rubbermaid containers? I would use a different company but my co-op is paying for it. actually soon to be my ex-co-op i've given notice of moving out, but since they already arranged the dog i would feel better about the move if the dog doesn't find anything. but from what i've read on here - it doesn't sound like I will be getting a very through inspection.

anyway, my questions might have got lost in my rambling: 1) is it normal or standard to not be permitted in the same room as the dog? 2) should K9 be able to smell through plastic containers?
    oh and 3) if their are bugs in my laptops, should the K9 be able to smell that?

Thank you!

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Oct 17 2013 15:50:12
    #

Login to Send PM

anyway, my questions might have got lost in my rambling: 1) is it normal or standard to not be permitted in the same room as the dog? 2) should K9 be able to smell through plastic containers?
    oh and 3) if their are bugs in my laptops, should the K9 be able to smell that?

1) Both, but it really doesn't matter if you are there. The dog shouldn't be interested in you since you are only standing by and watching and you are not interfering. Good canines will actually ignore you unless you have a bed bug on your clothing, in a pocket!
    2) Yes, the dog will be able to smell through plastic containers since these are not airtight. But is best if covers are open to some degree.
    3) Yes, since pheromones will move out of openings in laptop.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie