Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

K9 Detectives say all clear, why the small bite like reactions then?

(8 posts)
  1. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 2 2008 19:58:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Jada came back yesterday and did not bark once! Hurray. We will still be vigilant and wear clothing only once, Dry them like crazy and vacuum.

I still seem to be getting some skin reactions though....hmmm...could they be in my car? Is this a reaction to the pesticides? What do you think. Is Jada wrong, are they still here? Thanks, and cross your fingers for me!

2. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 2 2008 20:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

I would have checked the car.
    Maybe they can come back for a small fee and check the car. Maybe start to include it. People who have cars..
    I think you are safe if the dogs say so. Try to relax. I know it is so hard.
    I fight the creepness even now, and i know they are gone.
    PCo 4 times. Limestone. plastic on the limestone, everything in plastic.28 bags of belongings gone. There ARE NO bugs here.

I am sure it will take awhile to feel back to normal.
    Bless you.
    Bless us...

3. Itchybutdealing

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 2 2008 21:20:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Prayforamiracle:) Bless you and your family too. We are still going to live in plastic for a while. As for the car, well we live in NYC, so we park it in a garage not near to our apartment, sort of a pain that way. I think I will just use a good vacuum and an over the counter spray for it.

4. needtosleep

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri May 2 2008 21:45:54
    #

Login to Send PM

FYI, I've had two all-clears from a K9, and I'm still getting bitelike reactions. It came down to, "Do I trust the dogs, or do I trust my skin?" Turns out I'm suffering from chronic hives brought on by the initial bites. There are no longer any signs of an infestation, and there was one month between the two inspections. So if enough time goes by and you're still getting "bites," you might want to explore that possibility.

5. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat May 3 2008 2:45:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Itchy - there are many, many comments and threads here about lingering bite reactions in the absence of bedbugs. There is also FAQ discussion on this. Pretty common, I think. I'm not going to say you don't still have bedbugs somewhere. I am just saying that many of us have experienced recurring skin reactions after the fact.

6. prayforamiracle

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat May 3 2008 9:55:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I remember my bites where actually lke they took a chunk of my skin out.
    So , If I get alittle bump, I think it pyschomatic.I could be wrong. They are all differnet

7. buggedmama

Posted 11 years ago
    Sun May 4 2008 8:44:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm another frequent poster to "lingering bite sensation" threads because every few weeks I have something that looks like an insect bite but so small/insignificant that I might not even notice it had I not been scrutinizing my skin. The BB bites on my arms when I discovered the infestation, on the other hand, were big, red welts that left scars that I can still see today. Sometimes I think in my head that these bi-weekly small reactions could be the work of one rogue bed bug hiding out somewhere undetected all these months, living out his life span.

When I discovered the infestation, I had about a dozen large, red welts on my arms. I also think to myself about whether the reason why the reaction to those bites was so significant could be because there was so much of the toxin (or whatever they inject) injected into my skin, that it set off a major reaction. On the other hand, if there are just one or two "rogue" bugs lingering around biting week or two, they are not injecting enough of the toxin into my body for more than a small reaction. I also wonder if this could also be why bed bug activity can go undetected for several weeks or months until so many bites are received the body reacts more strongly.

I wish I knew of a entomologist nearby who had BBs whom I could volunteer to feed to see ... of course the other theory that gets brought up is whether reactions differ between nymph and adult bites, but the bite test the bedbugger did which is posted on the blog suggests that there is not...

The only other thing I have wondered is if little bumps and hives are not something that we just get sometimes, but would never really notice if we weren't scrutinizing our skin for bed bug bites all the time...

8. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed May 7 2008 0:01:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Lingering sensations are a possibility, but the dogs and handlers are not 100% effective. Detection errors are possible on their end.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,734 posts in 48,881 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,861 members. Latest: NHbugs, nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver