K9 coming but building owner in denial

(4 posts)
  1. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 22:31:15
    #

Login to Send PM

So, I am dealing with a "Schroedinger's Bed-bug" situation. Apologies for the long post!

I'm an apartment renter, and a few days ago, I got up, pulled back my shower curtain, and noticed a bug running around in my bathtub. I grabbed it with a tissue, and to my horror realized that it looked like a bed-bug. Not having time to examine it closely, I jammed it into an empty pill bottle and went to work.

Once I got home, I compared my sample to photos, and my heart sank. It looked like the real deal. I took some enlarged photos and David Caine & Louis Sorkin were kind enough to confirm my sample for me.

I took apart my bed and examined my mattress & box-spring closely (they have been covered in encasements since I moved in two years ago), as well as my sheets, comforter seams, bedrails, baseboards, bedside tables etc. None of the telltale signs are present. No fecal streaks or dots, no cast skins that I could see. I've also had a packtite passive monitor on my mattress for the past two years and this is also clean.

Possible scenarios:
    1) I have a new low-level infestation that is just getting underway,
    2) There is an infestation in a neighbouring suite
    3) The bug is a bat-bug instead of a bed-bug (more on this below)

I've now informed the building owner. He does have some past experience and is somewhat informed about their behavior, but was very dismissive when I spoke to him. He was adamant that because of where the bug was found, that it couldn't possibly be a bed-bug. He kept talking over me when I explained that I'd had photos confirmed by an accredited entomologist. He also kept insisting that bugs don't travel between apartments along plumbing, which, as we all know, is total B.S.

Now there is a remote outside chance that it could be a bat-bug instead of a bed-bug (Louis & David weren't able to confirm from my photos), but this doesn't seem likely considering I'm on the ground floor of a walk-up apartment. I've been in touch with my local University and they are willing to look at my sample, but I need to hang onto it for the time being.

The owner is bringing in a K9 to look at my place. The K9 handler is unfortunately connected to a Pest Control company, which from what I understand isn't the greatest arrangement. The company also has poor reviews on our local Yelp website which doesn't inspire much confidence.

My main concern is that the bug could have come from a neighbouring suite: I have an open vent in my bathroom ceiling, and a large exposed floor-to-ceiling pipe which runs through all 3 floors of my building. A bug could have easily travelled into my bathroom, walked across my ceiling and dropped into my tub. My building owner won't hear it of course. So even if I'm bug-free, a neighbour could be unknowingly harbouring them, and I could get more unwelcome visitors in the near future.

Any tips from others who have had K9 inspections? Any questions that would be good to ask the handler? I will be present at the inspection, which hasn't been scheduled just yet.

Would appreciate input from anyone who has had a dog visit their apartment! Will update with another post after the inspection is carried out.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 17:14:02
    #

Login to Send PM

There's the possibility that it's coming from an adjoining neighbor.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Cheezwiz

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 23:05:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Lou,

Yes, that is my main worry. When I tried to explain this to the owner of my apartment building, he refused to consider it. He refused to believe I had found a bed bug based on where I discovered it. Luckily I have hard evidence. He also insisted that bugs won't travel that far from the host's bed which is utter nonsense. Especially if a unit is vacant for a time, or someone goes away for a few days.

It seems to be the most likely explanation: I have an open ceiling vent in my bathroom as well as a large exposed pipe. A new neighbour moved in next door to me about three weeks ago, and we share a bathroom wall.

As not everyone reacts to bites, someone above or beside me could have an infestation going on and not be aware.

I will continue to press my building owner about this, but I'll need to see what the K9 team comes up with when they visit Monday. It seems like a dodgy company, so I'm not optimistic. Wish me luck!

4. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 years ago
    Wed May 24 2017 23:59:00
    #

Login to Send PM

We had a dog come sniff our couch that was infested after our heat treatment and it didnt hit on anything.We were bes bug free for over 2 years until my brother got us reinfested here recently.So yes dogs do really work.But Can not always be 100% sure.However I've never ever seen a bug,droppings or anything when Ive want searching.Even when we had them the first Time.They are great hiders so just because you havent found Anything doesnt mean your clear.If a neighbor has them you will get them so the landlord needs to have Evert apartment treated.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,909 posts in 50,061 topics over 155 months by 21,885 of 22,373 members. Latest: Delusionalparasitosis, kslone1006, Hex999