Just when I thought it was over...fecal..in the bathroom?? [expert ID needed]

(12 posts)
  1. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2016 21:12:41
    #

Login to Send PM

So this is weird. I noticed in our upstairs bathroom a cluster of what looks... a LOT like faecal... in the middle of a completely bare wall. This was probably 10-12 spots, some dark and raised, some flat and 'shiny" looking, in a space about the size of a nickel. No sign of anything else on the wall.

We've only lived in the house since mid-November, and assumed the one bug we found was a hitchiker from transit, travel, movers...etc. We have seen 0 signs of any bedbug activity in almost a month since that one bug, had two PCO treatments as well. PCO found nothing in the bedroom, or anywhere else...but why look so thoroughly in the bathroom?

I tried to wipe it off the wall, and it wiped off "clean" with a damp piece of toilet paper. TP had slight light brown on it from wiping it off, but it didn't "smear" on the wall. (Some of the darker dots just wiped right off).

We found some similar spots on the cover for the bathroom fan - on the outside - nothing much on the inside (nothing around the fan itself, the edges of the wall where the fan was installed...nothing. The fan is actually spotless like it was cleaned or installed new recently). No cast skins, no fecal in any other cracks or crevices in the bathroom - carefully inspected all the other walls, corners, around the edges of the mirror and light fixtures--zip. Nada.

We've been keeping our eyes quite open and have done multiple quick checks of the bed, and one full very thorough inspection of the mattress, boxspring, and frame last night, and we're not finding anything anywhere that would make sense to find bedbugs... so I can't fathom why, of all places, we'd have a significant amount of fecal in the middle of a totally bare wall, and a few spots on a fan cover with 0 sign of anything else in or around it.

They did have a kid so I'm hoping and praying this is just "baby splatter" we didn't notice (we didn't paint that room when we moved in.)

I may order BB Blue with my passive monitors (which I'm doing tonight) to test the spots on the fan, but can an expert way in?

Here are the spots from the fan cover:

https://goo.gl/photos/DeKCighjaijrMe3j7
    https://goo.gl/photos/NjTmvio76My1TVHeA

2. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 10:29:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I should note, I did order the BB Blue--but this doesn't look like most of the "dried" poop I see--that looks greyish and opaque, where this stuff still looked brownish and ..."sticky"?

Maybe it's soy sauce?

3. Brooks

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 10:56:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it possibly be coffee or another similar thing splashed on the wall? I have been known to occasionally drink my morning coffee in the bathroom and sometimes it spills in my half coma stumbles. I understand the paranoia and fear, I'm struggling with this rather severely for the same reasons lately. Also house Flys will leave fecal drops like that wherever they land

4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 12:22:01
    #

Login to Send PM

The first photo isn't bedbug related. I've been doing bedbug work for five years and have never found fecal in the bathroom. Bedbugs can harbor in a bathroom and use a bathroom as a migration route. But again, with bedbugs, if someone was sleeping in the bathtub, anything is possible.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 16:09:49
    #

Login to Send PM

jim danca - 3 hours ago  » 
    The first photo isn't bedbug related. I've been doing bedbug work for five years and have never found fecal in the bathroom. Bedbugs can harbor in a bathroom and use a bathroom as a migration route. But again, with bedbugs, if someone was sleeping in the bathtub, anything is possible.

It seems funny to me that you wouldn't expect fecal in a bathroom

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 17:53:10
    #

Login to Send PM

This is an upstairs half bath--no tub!

I assumed that wasn't it, since it would mean bugs harbouring in the middle of a bare wall in a room we only use to poop--pardon my humour--when there are none in the bedroom or anywhere else!

The other spots look like darker versions of the orangey ones in person--but I'll test them anyway when the BB blue shows up.

7. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 18:26:21
    #

Login to Send PM

But seriously. I've found fecal in bedroom closets that share a wall with the bathroom. I've noticed that when a unit goes vacant, bedbugs will often migrate into a bathroom. I think they do it to seek out a cool spot to lower their metabolism. I always install a trap behind the toilet. I'm finishing up a job in a four unit building. The infected unit was in the lower, with a rear bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, then dining room and living room in the front. The unit was occupied by an elderly couple and they had set off bombs on numerous occasions before the property owner found out. Initially, we relocated them into the living room and installed climb ups. I caught about two dozen in the bathroom over a seven week time period. The guy later broke his hip and the two vacated the unit three weeks ago. I'm over there today, and there was an unfed female in the bottom of the tub. The carpeting has been ripped out and the landlord opened the fridge, and there were bedbugs in the door of the fridge. Some dead, a few alive! So far, no migration into the upper unit or into the unit across the hall.

8. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Jan 21 2016 21:41:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think the house was wholly vacant for long before we moved in...

Would you say though, that if we only ever saw one bug, nothing has appeared in the bed or sofa... It's been a month now... If they *were* in the bathroom, that would probably indicate the previous owners had an unresolved infestation.

Hopefully the BB blue arrives next week and tells me it's some hair dye or something.

9. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jan 22 2016 9:03:06
    #

Login to Send PM

If the house had a previous problem, you would more than likely be finding additional bugs.

10. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 7:20:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugs know how to collectively regulate their metabolism, especially to conserve energy.

11. Distressed in NJ

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 19:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I have seen bed bugs in my bathroom.

12. SODABOTTLEBB

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 26 2016 21:20:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey all--my BB Blue arrived today, spots were tested--not fecal! Wooohoooo!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,415 posts in 50,190 topics over 156 months by 21,934 of 22,435 members. Latest: esedndwi, Help123, Bedbugdaydreams