(9 posts)
  1. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 15:24:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Just a quick public service announcement. I have just updated bedbugbeware.com with some new information and links.

Most notably I have added travel advisory information and a link through to the bed bug foundation.

If there more information taht people want to see up there please let em know. The idea of the site is to provide a quick but accurate education on the basics of bedbugs and it should not take more than 3 - 5 minutes to cover the basics and no more than 15 minutes to go through most of the detail.

Still looking for translators for other languages if you want to input some time towards helping others.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  2. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 18:53:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Mugwumps? I like that. These aren't bed bugs anymore--they are MUGWUMPS!

David, nice job. You should add a "guest book" to keep yourself pumped.

3. djames1921

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 19:26:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Good info as always and much needed.

4. BBcoukHome

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 19:30:05
    #

Login to Send PM

LOL, I have tried such things in the past, you get a lot of anonymous thanks and few will put their name to things.

It sprang out of a bedbugger discussion and eventually became a book. I am angling for the game show next, we are not short of boobie prizes and I am not sure all the contestants would relish a cruise or two weeks in a Florida time share resort.

I have more items just arrived for the museum today, a bedbugs children's game where you bash them with a plastic hammer. I am thinking of using it as a training aid for some of the PCO's.

David

5. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 19:51:25
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I saw this game, while browsing through the game section of our local Wal-Mart. The object of the game is to use tweezers to pick up plastic bed bugs from a plastic vibrating bed.

How disgusting!

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8486/bed-bugs

6. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 22 2010 21:25:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Tsk. There was the coolest thing on eBay a few weeks back. Bed bug poison bottle with label circa 1890. Betcha KQ got it. I'll see if there are images still around.

As for the guest book:

I suffered through a TV programme with The Kid. Sabrina the Teenage Witch? But it cracked me up. An estranged "witch" aunt took the teen to her home and showed her (I loved this) "The Door of Gratuitous Praise." When Auntie felt a little low she would open the door where a dozen fans would holler "We love you! You are great! You are beautiful!" kind of thing to whom she could just slam the door when she had enough.

I'm always begging my editor to throw me "a little gratuitous praise."

7. Bug wary

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 15:18:51
    #

Login to Send PM

David,

Thank you. I took a look at some not all of the information. What struck me was your advice that dry cleaning was unreliable.

Now I understand that the efficacy of so-called green methods is unknown or suspect but what about good old fashioned perc?

I'm a Canadian resident and we don't have PackTites here. My spouse has a fortune in bespoke suits and overcoats that can't be put in the dryer. I was going to rely on drycleaning.

Can you expand further on the dry clean issue.

Thanks.

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 15:59:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Part of tyhe issue is that if you specifiy a preferred method with the dry cleaners they will often say yes no worries and then do exactly what they want to do. Thus relying upon a dry cleaner to be honest is in itself not very reliable(no offense to the dry cleaning association of America but we have actually called several companies with different phone scripts and got the same assurances as their methods despite asking different questions each time).

I also appreciate that PackTite is not universally available yet that will hopefully be resolved soon.

I have also written to two of the worlds leading entomologists this week offering them access to some of our data on another slower method which is feasible in most domestic settings. If they choose to take me up on my offer of a research short cut we may have another option out there.

I appreciate that this may be frustrating but I cant post advice unless I know its 100% accurate and there are just too many variables with dry cleaning aside from the obvious what chemicals are used. I have also found a few dry cleaners in my time who have not taken all the necessary precautions to avoid becoming a source of bedbugs for others which is obviously the most alarming scenario.

Hope that helps.

David

9. Bug wary

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 23 2010 16:12:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

Thank you for the explanation.

Not being able to access treatments and remedies available elsewhere is frustrating and does nothing to address the bed bug problem.

I look forward to more information from you and your colleagues.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,483 posts in 49,273 topics over 152 months by 21,594 of 22,016 members. Latest: evil11, Airbnbug, junojunk